Pearl vs. Jewel and Eastern vs. Western Caribbean??

VacayAway

My family is trying to decide between an Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Pearl in March or the Western Caribbean on the Jewel. I think my husband would prefer the ports on the Eastern Caribbean cruise, but we're still struggling to decide.

So, does anyone have any insight or any personal experience that they can share to compare the ships or itineraries that will help make that decision???

Thanks!

I did a Western on the Pearl a couple of years ago and loved it! I'm going on the the Pearl's Eastern cruise in February. I believe the Pearl and the Jewel are very similar in layout and design, the Pearl is just a couple of years newer. Part of why we chose the Eastern route this time is because we wanted to do a 7-day cruise as opposed to a 5-day (Western is 5 day).

Either way you really can't go wrong! Have a great cruise.

The Pearl has a nicer "thermal suite" spa area. Besides this they are very much the same. Recommendation - we won a dinner for 2 with wine at Chin's Chinese restaurant. I never would have bothered to go there...but I will in the future! It was an amazing meal.

As to Eastern vs. Western...both are good. Just research the ports and pick which ones you like best. Cozumel is a great beach and snorkle location. Do you dock or tender? Tendering takes time.

Check how many ships will be in port while you are at both St. Thomas and Grand Cayman. Neither port is really capable of handling the hordes of passengers. Last time we went to St. Thomas we docked at an alternative location (crown point?) that was a good 40 minutes on the "other side" of St. Thomas. They had these large truck taxis you sat ant waited until it was full with passengers going to either same place or at least close by location before they would move. So we wasted precious port time waiting and in traffic since most attractions were on the other side. I did not like that at all.

Enjoy!

My family is trying to decide between an Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Pearl in March or the Western Caribbean on the Jewel. I think my husband would prefer the ports on the Eastern Caribbean cruise, but we're still struggling to decide.

So, does anyone have any insight or any personal experience that they can share to compare the ships or itineraries that will help make that decision???

Thanks!

We were on the Pearl in April 2009 to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Beautiful ship, great food, wonderful staff!

My husband really wanted to see some Mayan ruins and we went to Lamanai in Brazil and to Tulum in Mexico. Both were wonderful! I have never been on an Eastern Carib. cruise but I think it is more beachy.

If you want to see some Mayan ruins the Western itinerary would be the way to go!

Good luck! I am sure your family will love either trip and ship.

Coffeecat

They are sister ships, except for bowling on the Pearl I think they are pretty much identical. We have done Eastern and Western several times and like Globaliser, we are more likely to stay on the ship in ports on the Western itinerary. It is hard to say though without knowing what ports each are going to.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks!

We haven't done the Pearl but will in April, we love the Jewel. It depends on what you like to do, we have done both itineraries several times: for sight seeing and shopping the Eastern is the secret, for water activities like snorkeling and swimming I would do the western.. Just my opinion

Nita

Western Caribbean: I'll stay on the ship all week.

Eastern Caribbean: I'll go ashore at some of the ports.

I'm laughing, because I'm exactly the opposite! Isn't is nice that there are different itineraries for people with different interests. We prefer the Western Caribbean port. The Eastern Caribbean islands are beautiful too, but we're not into shopping (St. Thomas) and we're not beach people, so once we've done an island tour, we're pretty much through being off the ship.

On the other hand, several of the Western Caribbean ports have Mayan ruins, which we find extremely fascinating. I'd much rather go to Belize and Lamanai or Cozumel with an excursion to Tulum than sit on the beach in Antigua... :D

That doesn't, however, mean that I'm right and Globaliser is wrong -- it just means that we have different preferences. Do your research on the ports of call boards and see which itinerary will suit YOUR family best.

No, Globaliser is right!2funny.gif

JK! What ports have the best Mayan ruins?

:D We've been to 3 so far. Altun Ha and Lamanai are both in Belize, and you can get to Tulum from Cozumel. There's at least one more in Belize, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.

My goal is to get to Chichen Itza. We have friends who did it on a cruise several years ago, but they don't seem to be including it as an excursion much at the moment. I'd also like to get to Chacchoben in Costa Maya, but haven't done so yet.

While the Nowegian Jewel and Pearl are sister's to each other a big difference a lot of people have yet to mention is that the PEARL has an Ultra Bliss Lounge with bowling alley onboard whereas the Jewel does NOT. The Jewel has a shopping area instead in the area where the Bliss Lounge is located on her other sisters. :cool: Just an FYI for the original poster.

Also Eastern vs Western counts depending on whether you want to explore history or shop until you drop. You want to go shopping then go Eastern, you want culture and history (especially Mayan) then go West. :)

No matter what you decide both are good options!

I'm laughing, because I'm exactly the opposite! Isn't is nice that there are different itineraries for people with different interests. We prefer the Western Caribbean port. The Eastern Caribbean islands are beautiful too, but we're not into shopping (St. Thomas) and we're not beach people, so once we've done an island tour, we're pretty much through being off the ship.

On the other hand, several of the Western Caribbean ports have Mayan ruins, which we find extremely fascinating. I'd much rather go to Belize and Lamanai or Cozumel with an excursion to Tulum than sit on the beach in Antigua... :D

That doesn't, however, mean that I'm right and Globaliser is wrong -- it just means that we have different preferences. Do your research on the ports of call boards and see which itinerary will suit YOUR family best.

I agree with you, there is no right or wrong: it shows how subjective life is. We always say food is subjective, I think most things are.

Nita

We are doing Casa Maya, Belize, Santo Tomas and Cozumel. Which is closest to port? Friends of ours that went last time we were in Cozumel said it was a ways from port.

Tulum is a ways from port. You have to take the ferry from Cozumel over to Playa del Carmen and then it's about an hour or so bus ride. In Belize, Altun Ha is quite close to Belize City, and is probably about a 3-4 hour excursion -- but it's not as big or spectacular as Lamanai. Lamanai is a bus ride (30-45 minutes or so from Belize City) to the river,and then a river ride to the ruins in the jungle. It's definitely an all-day excursion, and can be VERY hot and humid depending on the time of year.

I don't know about the Costa Maya ruins or if there are any near Santo Tomas. Have a great cruise!

Archived