Dream - Partial Blackout Onboard this afternoon!

Tom-n-Cheryl

I think problems like this happen more than we know. We found out about a fire from talking to a couple of the crew that were there at the time. The rest of the ship did not know. We have also had elevator problems and almost all systems failing for a few hours. Just emergcy power working. I guess, like anything else, things break. The fact that we don't hear of a lot of problems is an indication that they do a good job avoiding the problmes or being able to deal with them when they happen. I know the crews have emergency drill and training all the time.

My husband was in the elevator business for years. There are ways to bring down the elevator or open the doors. That is why they have phones and alarms inside the elevators.

I always thought, for safety on the ships, a power outage was supposed to send the cab to the lowest floor, and open the doors.

Well if one has a condition and is stupid enough to put themselves in harms way,they have what ever is coming to them.If an elevator is an issue,than you don't go in one.:rolleyes:

IF you are allergic to salt water, you don't take an offshore fishing trip.

If you are prone to sea sickness,you don't go off in a 14 ft boat.

You use common sense.

I suppose you want to know the names of those who were on the toilet at that time as well?

Steve

you mean, you don't think there should be a clause in the bill of rights for cruise ship passengers for those that have claustrophobia, just in case they get stuck in an elevator?? :p

My husband was in the elevator business for years. There are ways to bring down the elevator or open the doors. That is why they have phones and alarms inside the elevators.

We got stuck in an elevator on the Conquest a couple of years ago.

Took about ten minutes or so and they got it running again. Then we got out on the wrong floor and were stupid enough to get right back on it:rolleyes:....and lo and behold it stopped again. :eek:

This time we ended up having to climb out of it kind of in between floors.

We lifted the kids up and the crew pulled them out....then they just pulled the adults up and out. We were stuck in it about 20 minutes the 2nd time......they say 3rd time is the charm, but we chose not to find out!!!!!:rolleyes::p:D

Oh and we had an AWESOME cruise!!!!!:D

We sailed with a couple last year - the female has major anxiety issues. We could not talk her into an elevator, even when going up 6-7 floors (made the trip to the supper club tough for them) "them" being her and her husband, as he of course had to stay with her. IF we had managed to get her on an elevator and IF it would have stopped, I would NOT have wanted to be on the elevator with her -- picturing people getting their eyes clawed out and such. :eek:

I did not hear any more talk yesterday evening regarding the "glitch". Interestingly enough I talked with the Chief Engineer again for a few moments last night (random crossing of paths). Very friendly/nice fellow. I did not press him for the specific cause - though I did throw out there that "this is a new machine, and sometimes things break". He gladly took that comment and agreed. :)

Having a great time. We just stopped at our first port (Antigua), then 4 more in a row before a final sea day. Chef's Art Steakhouse tonight --- decisions decisions!!!

Tom

you mean, you don't think there should be a clause in the bill of rights for cruise ship passengers for those that have claustrophobia, just in case they get stuck in an elevator?? :p

Lemme see.....if I had claustrophobia, I would..........hmmmm.........STAY OUT OF ELEVATORS> Yeah that's it.;)

LOL and a clause for those with a peanut allergy who then go and eat the peanut butter cookies.:rolleyes:

Steve

We sailed with a couple last year - the female has major anxiety issues. We could not talk her into an elevator, even when going up 6-7 floors (made the trip to the supper club tough for them) "them" being her and her husband, as he of course had to stay with her. IF we had managed to get her on an elevator and IF it would have stopped, I would NOT have wanted to be on the elevator with her -- picturing people getting their eyes clawed out and such. :eek:

I did not hear any more talk yesterday evening regarding the "glitch". Interestingly enough I talked with the Chief Engineer again for a few moments last night (random crossing of paths). Very friendly/nice fellow. I did not press him for the specific cause - though I did throw out there that "this is a new machine, and sometimes things break". He gladly took that comment and agreed. :)

Having a great time. We just stopped at our first port (Antigua), then 4 more in a row before a final sea day. Chef's Art Steakhouse tonight --- decisions decisions!!!

Tom

Tom, thanks for the updates. Keep us posted on your cruise. Would love to hear your thoughts on the ship and the cruise.

Chef's Art Steakhouse tonight --- decisions decisions!!!

Tom

Hi Tom

Glad to hear your having a good time and the ship has power.

Let me know how the Steakhouse is, we are thinking of going in 2 weeks for our anniv. and to getaway from the kids and inlaws for the night. :D

Enjoy

Hi Tom

Glad to hear your having a good time and the ship has power.

Let me know how the Steakhouse is, we are thinking of going in 2 weeks for our anniv. and to getaway from the kids and inlaws for the night. :D

Enjoy

The Chef's Art steakhouse is fabulous. Do it! :) I was there a few weeks ago while on the cruise to nowhere.

Madelene

now this is ancient histoory, but we lost power for a full day and got back to Miami a day 17 hours late. We were towed in.

You were on the Dream and TOWED into port? Ok..folks this isn't a simple power failure..this is an entire system collapse. This means the Dream's backup systems failed..that is a MAJOR issue folks. Ships have been returned to their builders when these things happen. Fincanteri has major answeringt o do...they probably had staff flown in to meet the ship.This is not insignifigant at all...I would be very leary about buying into CCL's play down of this.

Be very careful if sailing on this ship anytime soon.

You were on the Dream and TOWED into port? Ok..folks this isn't a simple power failure..this is an entire system collapse. This means the Dream's backup systems failed..that is a MAJOR issue folks. Ships have been returned to their builders when these things happen. Fincanteri has major answeringt o do...they probably had staff flown in to meet the ship.This is not insignifigant at all...I would be very leary about buying into CCL's play down of this.

Be very careful if sailing on this ship anytime soon.

No, it wasn't the DREAM and may not have even been Carnival. You are so desperate to bash the ship you are reading things that aren't there. Pathetic.

Archived