New Epic build pictures?

ddakrt

The funny thing the Epic is just about the same size as the RCCL Freedom class ships. I believe the Freedom still sails from MIA.

I've seen those ships in Miami while taking NCL cruises but this one just appears longer. I don't know what it is about it but it just does! :cool:

I live a few miles from the port of Miami. There are no monster ships in that port. Oasis is in Ft Lauderdale and Dream is in Port Canaveral. Epic is going to tower over these other ships. The Miami skyline is next to the port so it will look interesting to see how tall this ship is against the skyscrapers.

All the ships in the port of Miami are much older ships. Many are going to have Epic envy ;)

Well, I think that is a bit of an overstatement. I'm not sure what you consider "much older", but the NCL Jewel Class ships, LIBERTY OF THE SEAS, and CARNIVAL LIBERTY are all fairly new ships and all dock in Miami. This Fall the Celebrity Solstice Class will dock in Miami as well.

When it comes to size, EPIC is large but she is no OASIS. OASIS OF THE SEAS is still a good 72,000 gt larger than EPIC. 72,000 gt is a fairly large ship in it's own right!

If you look at physical dimensions, EPIC is actually smaller than the Freedom Class ships.

NORWEGIAN EPIC - Length: 1080 feet Width: 133 feet

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - Length: 1111.9 Width: 184 feet (bridge wings)

CELEBRITY SOLSTICE - Length: 1033 feet Width: 121 feet

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - Length: 952 feet Width: 116 feet

for fun -

OASIS OF THE SEAS - Length: 1181 feet Width: 198 feet (bridge wings)

QM2 - Length: 1132 feet Width: 147.5 feet (bridge wings)

Regarding the height, all these mega ships are pretty much built to the maximum height. They are all restricted by the Verrazano Bridge in NY so they are limited in that respect. OASIS is actually the tallest since she has retractable funnel tubing that lowers so she can fit under the bridge.

My point is that while EPIC is large, I don't think she is going to dwarf other ships or stun anyone that is used to seeing large cruise ships. Even OASIS doesn't look that much larger than some other ships. It's only when you see her width that realize how huge she is. EPIC is not going to have the kind of width that OASIS has.

Ernie

As I said before, all the larger RCCL boats are leaving Miami for Ft. Lauderdale. We'll still have the larger Carnival boats here, plus Celebrity Century, etc. but I don't think they are as big as Epic.

from USA Today

Royal Caribbean to pull another ship from Miami in 2011

And then there was one.

Royal Caribbean's slow-motion pull out from its longtime hub, Miami, will continue in 2011 as the line moves another major ship to Fort Lauderdale.

The Miami-based company today announced the 3,634-passenger Liberty of the Seas will redeploy to Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades starting in November 2011 (after it spends the summer of 2011 in the Mediterranean).

Liberty will join two other major Royal Caribbean ships already scheduled to sail year-round out of Fort Lauderdale: the 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas and its soon-to-debut sister, Allure of the Seas.

The change will leave Royal Caribbean with just one relatively small ship based in Miami for the winter of 2011-12, the 2,354-passenger Majesty of the Seas. That's down from four ships in Miami this past winter and two ships in Miami for the coming winter of 2010-11.

The change also means Royal Caribbean will not have a single ship sailing to the Caribbean out of Miami for the first time in its 41-year history. The Majesty of the Seas sails to the Bahamas, not the Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean says Liberty of the Seas will operate four- and five-night cruises to the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale -- becoming the largest ship ever to sail short voyages out of the city. Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas will sail seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean voyages out of the city.

Royal Caribbean's interest in using Fort Lauderdale as its main cruise hub in Florida became clear in 2008 when it announced Oasis of the Seas -- the world's largest cruise ship -- would sail out of Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami.

The move has upset some Miami-based cruise sellers who say the city isn't doing enough to keep cruise lines from sailing away.

"Royal Caribbean's rudimentary deployment schedule (for 2011-12) hit my desk like a ton of bricks," says Stewart Chiron of Miami-based CruiseGuy.com. "I wonder if the Port of Miami has been hit by the Plague."

Chiron notes Miami once dominated the Caribbean cruise business but has been "slowly picked apart by other ports, most notably Port Everglades, with no response."

In all, Royal Caribbean will have seven ships sailing to the Caribbean and Bahamas out of Florida ports for the winter of 2011-12, according to a line-up announced today. In addition to the three ships in Fort Lauderdale and one in Miami, two other Royal Caribbean ships -- Monarch of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas -- will continue to sail out of Port Canaveral. Another ship, Jewel of the Seas, will sail out of its new seasonal home port of Tampa.

I never said Epic was as large as Oasis. I know Oasis is the largest cruise ship. I was speaking of ships currently at the port of Miami.

Celebrity Solstice is not docked at the port of Miami as you already pointed out. The Epic will tower over Carnival Liberty. So while Liberty of the Seas is a big ship, I stand behind my post unless you want me to list every cruise ship that docks in the port of Miami.

Epic will tower over and stand out from all other cruise ships in the port of Miami. Even the Pearl and Jewel that sometimes dock in Miami will be significantly smaller. For example, the NCL Sky is in the port twice a week. Even though the Sky is a relatively small ship and over 10 years old, the other ships do not look that much different. I dont expect that to be the case once the giant Epic arrives.

As I said before, all the larger RCCL boats are leaving Miami for Ft. Lauderdale. We'll still have the larger Carnival boats here, plus Celebrity Century, etc. but I don't think they are as big as Epic.

The Freedom class is leaving for now. No doubt one or more will be back in Miami at some point in the future. For now RCI has to uphold it's obligation to Port Everglades and by positioning some of their largest ships there, they ensure they will meet passenger headcount agreements. What they are doing is moving some Celebrity capacity out of FLL and down to MIA.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think EPIC is going to seem that massive, regardless of where she docks. She is not that much larger than the largest Celebrity and Carnival newbuilds that will dock at Miami, and while she may seem somewhat larger I don't think it's going to be that dramatic.

Also, in other ports she docks at in the Caribbean and Bahamas she will be in the company of many large cruise ships, some of which are larger than she is.

If anything, she will turn heads because she is not the prettiest or most streamlined cruise ship out there. I find her design very interesting, but pretty is not a word I would use to describe her exterior appearance.

Ernie

I never said Epic was as large as Oasis. I know Oasis is the largest cruise ship. I was speaking of ships currently at the port of Miami.

Celebrity Solstice is not docked at the port of Miami as you already pointed out. The Epic will tower over Carnival Liberty. So while Liberty of the Seas is a big ship, I stand behind my post unless you want me to list every cruise ship that docks in the port of Miami.

Epic will tower over and stand out from all other cruise ships in the port of Miami.

I live in Miami and pass the ships everyday. I know exactly what ships dock there.

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS currently docks at Miami and will all Summer. She is larger than EPIC as are all the other Freedom Class ships. As she departs on Sundays and EPIC on Saturdays they will not be side by side in Miami. EPIC will dock to larger ships in other Caribbean ports and that is where you will see the true comparison.

I don't think EPIC will "tower" over CARNIVAL LIBERTY or any other new mega-ship. What makes you think EPIC is any taller? In fact LIBERTY's funnel may actually reach a greater height than EPIC.

As I pointed out earlier, most of the new ships are built to the same maximum height, as dictated by the Verrazano Bridge in NY. EPIC may appear somewhat larger, but I don't think you will see the massive size difference like you are expecting. Even OASIS doesn't look that much larger when viewed from the side. It's when you see her head on next to another ship that you really see the size difference. It's her width that is so impressive. EPIC has an average width so that will not be so noticeable.

As I mentioned before, I think what will make EPIC stand out in any port is not so much her size, but her design. It's not the most attractive and will certainly turn heads for that reason alone.

Ernie

I live in Miami and pass the ships everyday. I know exactly what ships dock there.

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS currently docks at Miami and will all Summer. She is larger than EPIC as are all the other Freedom Class ships. As she departs on Sundays and EPIC on Saturdays they will not be side by side in Miami. EPIC will dock to larger ships in other Caribbean ports and that is where you will see the true comparison.

I don't think EPIC will "tower" over CARNIVAL LIBERTY or any other new mega-ship. What makes you think EPIC is any taller? In fact LIBERTY's funnel may actually reach a greater height than EPIC.

As I pointed out earlier, most of the new ships are built to the same maximum height, as dictated by the Verrazano Bridge in NY. EPIC may appear somewhat larger, but I don't think you will see the massive size difference like you are expecting. Even OASIS doesn't look that much larger when viewed from the side. It's when you see her head on next to another ship that you really see the size difference. It's her width that is so impressive. EPIC has an average width so that will not be so noticeable.

As I mentioned before, I think what will make EPIC stand out in any port is not so much her size, but her design. It's not the most attractive and will certainly turn heads for that reason alone.

Ernie

Ernie

We have a huge difference of opinion. Oaisis of the Seas DOES tower over all other ships at the port of Ft Lauderdale. Someone even posted pictures here once how towering this ship is to others in port. It is funny because we both pass the port of Miami daily and have the biggest difference of opinion. There are lots of older Carnival ships like Imagination and other older ships that are popular that call Miami home. Epic has 18 decks. That is HUGE. I am sort of surprised that you dont think this ship is going to stand out at the port of Miami. The NCL Sky is at the port every Monday and Friday. Even though it is on the smaller side, it fits in with all the other ships including the current Celebrity ship that docks at Miami. I cant wait to take a picture and post it here on this thread of the Epic next to these ships. I think it is going to be similiar to the Oasis in Ft Lauderdale or other port stops around the globe.

Not sure why you think 18 decks and up to 5,000 passengers (twice the Sky) is not a big deal and not a stand out ;)

David, I'm going to agree with Ernie that while the Epic is a very large ship, I don't know how much of her size will make her stand out from the rest of the Miami fleet.

I've sailed by the RCCL ships (both Freedom and Voyager class) on the Jewel and Pearl and while it was obvious that they were quite a bit bigger, they didn't "tower" over the Jewel/Pearl sisters. Also the 18 decks doesn't tell the whole story, the Epic's public deck starts at 5, so it's not like she is actually 18 stories high.

Having said that, does anyone find it interesting that the initial pictures of the hullart (the real pictures of it being painted on, shot from the front) made the hullart look huge, but in the new pics of her from the side the Epic itself made the hullart tiny in comparison.

David, I'm going to agree with Ernie that while the Epic is a very large ship, I don't know how much of her size will make her stand out from the rest of the Miami fleet.

I've sailed by the RCCL ships (both Freedom and Voyager class) on the Jewel and Pearl and while it was obvious that they were quite a bit bigger, they didn't "tower" over the Jewel/Pearl sisters. Also the 18 decks doesn't tell the whole story, the Epic's public deck starts at 5, so it's not like she is actually 18 stories high.

Having said that, does anyone find it interesting that the initial pictures of the hullart (the real pictures of it being painted on, shot from the front) made the hullart look huge, but in the new pics of her from the side the Epic itself made the hullart tiny in comparison.

I live in Miami, drive past the port 4 times daily (for 16 years), have sailed the Jewel, know workers at the port, know workers at NCL and the feeling is mutual. Epic will definately stand out. It is not a slap towards the other ships, just a fact. I dont know why some get so offended by this. I will post the pictures and post the links from the local news. You should see the news stories from when the Oaisis went to Ft Lauderale. 18 decks and 5,000 passeners is quite an event and quite a ship. There are mostly just old bolt tanks at the port of Miami except for one or two, and the Epic will bring have everyone in awe. I will post my own pictures and local news stories, dont worrry :)

Just wait and see ;) :)

You are funny with your statement that some new pictures of the Epic make her look tiny. Every picture I have seen makes the ship look how exactly she is, quite larger than the average ship! I dont have a dog in the fight. I just know what everyone is anticipating in Miami from every port worker that this is the port's first mega ship. Other ports have their mega ship and this is a first for Miami. Dont hate me for stating the facts. Miami does not have any cruise ship that holds 5,000 passengers.

I live in Miami, drive past the port 4 times daily (for 16 years), have sailed the Jewel, know workers at the port, know workers at NCL and the feeling is mutual. Epic will definately stand out. It is not a slap towards the other ships, just a fact. I dont know why some get so offended by this. I will post the pictures and post the links from the local news. You should see the news stories from when the Oaisis went to Ft Lauderale. 18 decks and 5,000 passeners is quite an event and quite a ship. There are mostly just old bolt tanks at the port of Miami except for one or two, and the Epic will bring have everyone in awe. I will post my own pictures and local news stories, dont worrry :)

Just wait and see ;) :)

You are funny with your statement that some new pictures of the Epic make her look tiny. Every picture I have seen makes the ship look how exactly she is, quite larger than the average ship! I dont have a dog in the fight. I just know what everyone is anticipating in Miami from every port worker that this is the port's first mega ship. Other ports have their mega ship and this is a first for Miami. Dont hate me for stating the facts. Miami does not have any cruise ship that holds 5,000 passengers.

Not arguing, just discussing. Hence the name discussion forums. ;)

I read that you live in Miami and drive by the port regularly before my previous post, I wasn't challenging your perception of things.

To me though, when I heard "towering" I automatically think of the picture of the Oasis docked beside the Costa Mediterranea at USVI. The Epic is larger than most of the ships in Miami, but it just doesn't compare to the above image that's in my head.

As for Miami not having a ship that carries 5,000+ pax, neither does anywhere else aside from Ft. Lauderdale. Miami also has/had the Freedom class mega ships too, so I'm not sure I understand you saying the Epic will be Miami's first.

Re-read what I said about the new pics and the hullart, you mis-read it. ;)

I'm sorry...but that is one BUTT UGLY ship. It may be cool inside...and have great features...but it will look like the UGLY DUCKLING on the ocean.

Sheesh...what a mess...

Disclaimer: I have only sailed on RCI, but I am not a bigot and I think other cruise lines have great ships...but NCL screwed this one up bad.

I'm sorry...but that is one BUTT UGLY ship. It may be cool inside...and have great features...but it will look like the UGLY DUCKLING on the ocean.

Sheesh...what a mess...

Disclaimer: I have only sailed on RCI, but I am not a bigot and I think other cruise lines have great ships...but NCL screwed this one up bad.

Stay with the butt ugly Oasis ;):D

Sheesh...what a mess...

I repeat, I'm not buying it, I'm only a passenger. I don't care what other passengers on a passing cruise ship think. I will only be concerned if they start throwing tomatoes.

David,

I would love to see the photos. I think it's quite neat to see the new ships near the more mature ships. (not for the sake of argument mind you...just out of curiousity). I'm thinking what you said would be true because of the 18 stories. The Epic has to be somewhat taller I would think. Eighteen stories is a lot of floors on a ship.

:)

Every new ships, big or small, is always a head turner. Just because they are new in the decor you will look at them and start to compare with other existing ships.

But I agree we always have that little warm feeling when we are embarking on the biggest ship at the port... You have the little thoughts in your mind that says "hey, I'm on the biggest ship in here"...

I had that feeling when I was on the Carnival Liberty, anchored in Grand Cayman. That day the Liberty was the biggest. I also had that feeling in Cozumel on the Carnival Valor because we were docked beside a smaller/older Carnival ship. Our ship looked big!

Sheesh...what a mess...

Actually, IMO, I think she looks much better in "real life" than she did in the artists renderings.

I don't care if anyone thinks the Epic is ugly, beautiful or anywhere in between. We all have opinions, I just don't listen to 99% of them when it comes to aesthetics of any kind, whether one is talking about a ship, an item of clothing, a hairstyle or anything. I like what I like. Personally, all I care about is that I'm sailing on her this July/August. Whether someone else thinks the ship is ugly or beautiful is irrelevant. Frankly, unless you are the personal designer of the ship, I'm surprised any adult would even care what anyone thinks. Kinda baffling.

Archived