Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Cre

Again, I believe if the minor is 16 or 17 and has a valid passport (which could be obtained with one parent). You wouldn't have a problem. The rules are in place to prevent a parent from abducting a child to a foreign country. At the age of 16-17 this is less of an issue. I have traveled by my self to foreign countries at the age of 16....However I do admit this was some time ago (24 some years).

If the minor were under 16 then yes I think the OP would have some concern

Your daughter is old enough to where I don't think you would get "stopped", but I would still get a notarized letter just in case you run into someone who is sticking to the rule book. Find a sympathetic notary amongst your friends to notarize a letter with his name on it. :)

Wow, what you suggest is just so wrong. Really cheapens what notarized really means and I hope if you have friends that would do this for you, that they lose their notary stamp pronto.

Everyone, please remember that a passport does not count as permission for one parent to take a child between countries. A passport is a document for identification and international travel, period. What the Immigration agents at various ports can require is proof that (1) the other parent has given consent (the notarized letter, for example) or (2) the parent traveling with the child has sole physical and legal custody (bring a copy of custody or divorce papers if applicable) or (3) the other parent has died (bring a copy of the death certificate) or (4) the other parent was never in the child's life (e.g., the birth certificate does not list a father) or (5) the other parent cannot be contacted for some reason. In the case of example 5, some parents have gone to a judge to explain the situation. Judges can write a court order allowing the single parent to travel between countries with the child. A quick meeting with a lawyer who specializes in family law may be appropriate.

Please do not assume that because some other parents have not been questioned or required to prove that they may take their child between countries that you will not be questioned or required to show proof. The fact is that all Immigration agents can require it. All it takes is that one time that an agent decides (for whatever reason) to require you to show proof. If you don't have it, you may be denied boarding or entry/re-entry (often US Immigration agents are very insistent about this). The cruise line will not refund passengers who do not bring required and pertinent documentation.

Please, consult a lawyer if necessary. (I'm not a lawyer and do not advocate contacting one for every little thing; this is not a little thing, IMO.)

beachchick

Everyone, please remember that a passport does not count as permission for one parent to take a child between countries...

beachchick

I don't know how your system works over there but all of what beachchick has said makes a whole lot of sense to me. Err on the side of caution, I mean you have out laid a sum of money for the cruise and everyone will be excited, I would hate to see that turn sour and into disappoint for want of a letter or court order. Invest a couple of more dollars and secure whats needed to make the cruise memorable.

It is obviously different for us in the UK in this regard. A parent can take a child out of the country for up to 4 weeks without their 'other' parents permission. This varies however if there is a Residency Order and the non-residing parent wishes to take their child out of the country, then they must have written permission from the Resident Parent.

My son and I have had different surnames for over 10 years, which must equate to approx 30 trips overseas. In all the time, travelling to Europe, US, Asia, I have NEVER been asked to show proof that he is my child. Quite scary really when you think about it, as he was probably about 6 years old the first time I took him abroad and was allowed to board a plane with a young child with a different name to me!

Beachchick is 10000000% Correct. Always over-prepare and over-document. I won't even travel domestically without my passport. Just one point here. The problem will be departing the U.S. Upon arrival I see no reason why two US citizens holding passports would be detained barring some warrant or injunction.

The rule will be enforced upon departure (where the risk of abducting a child exists). Upon return I think it would be obvious to anyone you are not trying to abduct the child BACK into the U.S.

WOW, I didn't know that this could be an issue!! I have a different last name of my child (Never changed my name) but their BC have my name on it. I am planning on taking them on a cruise in Feb and only using their BC. Since my "real" name is on their BC, will I have a problem??

There is no way that their father would let them get a passport nor would he write a letter. (He is very spiteful!!)

Thanks for this question and for any more info I can get!

This is why you need to have the letter. What if he doesn't want his kids to travel out of the country? Without the letter, the cruiseline has no way of knowing if you are fleeing with them or not. I think you have been given incorrect information from the cruiseline. There is a very good chance that you could be denied boarding. I would a least get a notarized letter from your attorney stating that your ex could not be reached or located or whatever the case may be. If he does not give you written permission to take his children (legally they are his too) out of the country then you are not supposed to.

Beachchick is correct in her response.

OP should be prepared with the correct documentation (including the affidavit, passport and BC) OR be prepared emotionally and financially to be denied boarding. And while retiredwannabe is probably correct, meaning that there is a high percentage probability that she will not be asked for all the documentation, the only way to be fully prepared is to have all the documentation that COULD be asked for.

I have called all over trying to get a clear answer concerning this issue.

I have not received anything but different stories from different people.

I called RCCL they said a BC and passport would be fine

I called US Depatment of State

They referred me to US Customs and The Bahamas Embassy

I called the US Customs and spoke to a man he said you need a letter

I asked to speak with a supervisor she said the child is 16 and can speak on her own behalf and no one will likely ask any questions

Enjoy your trip

I cannot get in contact with the father

I cannot afford a lawyer

I understand that they are trying to prevent kidnapping but

there should be options for single parents that have no control

over this kind of situation.

We live in different states and I don;t know the where about of the father

We meet while in college

What if this were a rape situation

Then what?

I have called all over trying to get a clear answer concerning this issue.

I have not received anything but different stories from different people.

I called RCCL they said a BC and passport would be fine

I called US Depatment of State

They referred me to US Customs and The Bahamas Embassy

I called the US Customs and spoke to a man he said you need a letter

I asked to speak with a supervisor she said the child is 16 and can speak on her own behalf and no one will likely ask any questions

Enjoy your trip

I cannot get in contact with the father

I cannot afford a lawyer

I understand that they are trying to prevent kidnapping but

there should be options for single parents that have no control

over this kind of situation.

We live in different states and I don;t know the where about of the father

We meet while in college

What if this were a rape situation

Then what?

You don't need to contact the father, you don't need a lawyer. There are free legal aid offices in most communities that will help you file the necessary paperwork for free (except for the court filing fees), or at least use a sliding scale that you can afford.

If you are a single parent that is solely responsible for your child, you really need to have legal, certified documents showing sole custody. Once you have that, nobody can bother you about ANTHING when it comes to your rights to your child.

However, until that paperwork is in your possession, there can be huge complications, and not just with traveling. What if dad shows up one day and takes your kid. Without custody papers saying you have sole custody, he wouldnt be breaking the law if his name is on the BC.

All single parents should have sole custody papers, I don't care if the other party lives on the moon, because they can ALWAYS pop back up when you least expect it.

As for travel, it's hit and miss, but a miss can be a terrible experience, and can cost you a ton of money on a trip that you already paid for.

Archived