Anyone get a visa on their own for Russia??

livetotan

If you are not on a cruise line tour or a private tour you need to get a VISA in advance.

It can be expensive & you may do better booking a private tour for the same $$ & see more thing in the short time you have more effectivly than DIY

If you read Russian you may find your way around but SPB is a large city

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=249000

http://www.russianembassy.net/iservice.nsf/Cons/ConsulateGeneralOfRussiaInToronto

• 2 weeks later...

You will need the VISA.

RCI docks in an industrial area and there are few cabs that can access this area. In addition, there are no historic sites near the dock. Without a VISA you cannot leave the pier unless you are on a tour with either an independent operator or a ship's tour.

Conversely Russian citizens cannot enter the pier area.

I am wondering if you are planning to meet family or friends instead of touring which would be a good reason not to book a tour.

As far as the highlights few are within walking distance of each other. The Hermitage and the Church of the Spilt Blood are very close to each other but the Catherine Palace, for example, is not within the center of St. Petersburg.

I have been to Russia on a land trip and the VISA, while costly, was not difficult to get even for the granddaughter of a pre WWI Russian dissident.

I hope this helps.

We are in St Petersburg Russia for 1 day in August 2010 and want to tour on our own, not through Royal Caribbean or a private tour. Do we have to get a visa on our own? Anyone have experience with this? cost? we are from canada.

There have been previous posts on this subject on this board. You might check and use the "SEARCH" function. The bottom line, as LHT28's post indicated, is this idea to do one-day in STP on your own sounds great in theory, but in real life could be questionable. This town is large with five million people and you will end up wasting lots of valuable time if you try to do it on your own. I was very, very glad, especially with the alphabet/wording challenge, to let somebody else who knew what they were doing, get us around and see much more in an enjoyable manner.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I agree with Terry and the rest. Unless you speak Russian or can read their language, you will have a hard time getting info, directions, anything. For the same cost as the visas you can get a guide who can get you to where every you want to go.

Is there some reason you want to do this on your own???

I can see if you were to be there for a few days, but one day, I'm sorry, but that really doesn't make much sense. St Pete is a huge city,and some of the more important sites aren't in the city. Why risk your once in a lifetime experience, trying to do something that can be done so much easier.

Anyway, that's my opinion. If you are set on your way, get the visa and good luck.

Archived