Packing to avoid wrinkeld clothing

llam

Hey CC family-Any tips on how to pack clothing to avoid wrinkled clothing.

I am trying to cut down on the number of checked bags on the airlplane due to the per bag charge. I usually check one garment bag for dresses, blouses etc. and one regular bag fo everthing else. Now I want to pack everything in one luggage avoiding wrinkled dresses.

There is a nice short YouTube video link in my signature below from packing lite dot com showing how to pack your suitcase or bag in a bundle....

The key is to bundle your clothes instead of packing them individually where the weight above wrinkles the clothes below.... Cushioning is great....

It really helps to cut down the wrinkles....

I also use a travel steamer as well...

Dry cleaner bags are the BEST!

I packed for a B2B in one suitcase plus a carryon and I had probably 8 dresses. I left 2 on a hanger with a bag over them then I placed them in the suitcase and folded them in three with each set of dresses. The rest of the clothes were then put in with the bags between them. One bag will "fan" fold with an item of clothing between each fold. I think I even put 2 items in each fold. They say not to pack tightly but that didn't stop me and none of my clothing needed any pressing.

One other thing I do is pack at the very last minute then unpack as soon as I can so the clothes are in the case for the least amount of time.

My job has me traveling all the time and I agree with the plastic dry cleaner bag for you dress and they also work for your blouses. Also alternating your close like is showed in the Youtube video works great. Rolling your clothes is also very good. Just make sure that when you roll them you don't roll wrinkles in them.

The problem is that you can pack your clothes so carefully ..... then TSA inspectors mess everything up with they go through them. This is when the rolling of clothes is the best. IMO

OceanDreams

I forgot to say this. My suitcase has one of those zippered sections in front. I roll all of my tops (unfolded) and put them vertical in this section. This leaves the main section for other clothes, shoes and the all-important blender.

I usually bring a small spray bottle and fill it with warm water and spray my clothes flat on the bed and smooth out the wrinkles. I also then put whatever I will wear that night on a hanger and hang it in the bathroom as we both shower. The steam takes what little wrinkles are left out.

Packing properly helps as well as the video you watched shows!

Enjoy,

Freddie

There is a nice short YouTube video link in my signature below from packing lite dot com showing how to pack your suitcase or bag in a bundle....

The key is to bundle your clothes instead of packing them individually where the weight above wrinkles the clothes below.... Cushioning is great....

It really helps to cut down the wrinkles....

I also use a travel steamer as well...

I just used this method for our cruise on the Pearl and it works very well!

I just used this method for our cruise on the Pearl and it works very well!

I agree, it has worked very well for me too. Its a shame we didn't learn something as useful as this in high school....

The key is to pack very carefully with any system you use, not just throw things into the bag....

While this method is effective for a few days at one hotel or ship, I would imagine it would be a headache if you are traveling from one hotel to another every night.

I forgot to say this. My suitcase has one of those zippered sections in front. I roll all of my tops (unfolded) and put them vertical in this section. This leaves the main section for other clothes, shoes and the all-important blender.

What a great idea! This is why I hang out on the CC boards. I never even dreamed of using that space for anything except cruise docs and other paperwork. Betcha can fit a bunch of tee shirts in there. Downy Wrinkle Release will smooth out any resulting wrinkles. Sweet thanks, DMH15:)

I take one suitcase for a week. I pack my clothes the bundle way and have been very happy with the way things look. I do empty the suitcase as soon as possible and hang as much as possible. I also try to pack with the expandable zipper un-expanded so that when I come back I can un-zip it and have room for souvenirs.

I'm normally quite good at packing but once a jacket had a big crease/fold in it.

Luckily we had an electric kettle in the room, I held the creased sleeve - duly stretched - over the steam and as if by magic the crease disappeared. I imagine hanging the clothes in the bathroom and leaving the hot water running works just as good.

I like to roll mine. Seem to come out pretty wrinkle-free.

Also, you can buy a very small aerosol can at Container Store (and I'm sure other places too) that removes wrinkles. Costs about five bucks.

Yep...that's the way to do it!

Archived