??? about prepaid tips for MTD

jdmaillet

I recently booked a cruise thru a travel agent reserving two rooms. I had them both on hold thru RCI with and released the cabins while I was on the phone with the agent and he picked them up. We got through my husband and my JS and late night dinner seating and then we started on the kids interior. Two of the three kids are adults. When it came time to put it through he said it kept getting kicked back because there was no more open seats for late night dining. I was very caught off guard (as I had just released the room), and he said my only alternative was to book MTD for them and pay their tips upfront. So, I said OK but please wait-list them for late night seating. A couple of hours later I checked the reservation online and my kids are in fact booked for late night seating. I'm a little annoyed that I had to prepay their gratuities up front. While I pay their cruise and air, they pay their own tips and they do it on their sea pass card and linked to their own credit cards to take care of their on-board expenses. It was an extra couple hundred $ that I wasn't expecting to pay right now.

I'm thinking of calling the travel agent and trying to get them reversed because we don't want MTD & never did. We are all booked for late night.

Just looking for thoughts on this..... maybe I'm just being petty and weird but it's bugging me.

Thanks,

Jenn

Ha! Broke college students and it's just before Christmas:) They thought they would have until March to save for their extra expenses (putting them on their CC for a Feb cruise). I'm just feeling that none of us should be paying so soon in advance as we don't want and don't have MTD.

Have you truly paid for the tips or are they marked as needing to be pre-paid??? If you do MTD and have the pre-paid tips they are usually charged when you make final payment. Not sure when your cruise is, but if you haven't made that payment yet, have it changed so it won't be applied.

Otherwise, either have the kids give you the cash now, when you board, or call the TA and have them reversed.

Cruise is feb 7th so I had to pay for everything at once. Not sure why this is bugging me. The tips in the larger scheme of things of paying for two staterooms at once is a drop in the bucket. I think when he said their was no longer any late time seating available I was extremely surprised. Guess I didn't like having no other alternative, and then when checking saw they were in late night seating and it wasn't really necessary, just kind of annoyed me. But, not world peace. Just making a big deal out of nothing I think. kooljamming- As far as the CC debt & spending the money before it comes in, we don't carry debt on our CC so I have to pay that whole sucker off when the statement comes in this month! If I was carrying it, probably it wouldn't be bugging me.....

• 1 month later...

Just as a followup to this, while I was talking to my TA about our savings certificates I mentioned being charged for the MTD tips and that we don't have MTD. He called RCI and double-checked and they credited it back right away. That was nice and easy and now my adult kids can pay their tips next month on their own CC...... :)

Archived