shirt out dining ok?

Tricky Diggy

I have seen such dress in the dining room and I would certainly think you would not be turned away, however, others on this board might disagree with me. If you think it is acceptable dress for a nice dining establishment at home, then it should be fine on the ship.

To me it depends on how the shirt is cut at the bottom. If it is designed to be worn outside the trousers, like camp shirts and most polos, then it is ok. Shirts with tails should be tucked in. Not strictly Princess rules but my own standard.

From 1 Brit to another, no problem TD.

Provided the shirt is 'of the right cut' as mentioned already, then it will be absolutely fine.

I wear my short sleeved, buttoned, casual shirts outside my trousers each informal night. You know the kind of shirts.......the full button, open necked collared type.

Pete.

On the first night if you don't have your luggage in time to change after the muster driller then dark jeans would be ok, I don't think you would be turned away. However on the other smart casual evenings they may not like the idea of blue jeans. You will probably be able to get away with Black jeans.

Princess dress code does say they allow jeans on non formal nights in the dining room, as long as they are not freyed or holey, worded something like that.

Many don't want to see jeans in the dining room, but the actual statement from Princess says they are allowed, so if this is what you feel is acceptable cruise wear, go for it. ;) (I am with others that don't feel this is appropriate dress for a nice restaurant onboard a Princess ship, but if Princess says it's passible, who am I to disagree?)

• 2 weeks later...
Just off the Island. From what I observed, anything but shorts or t-shirts are fine. Even untucked Hawaiian shirts were very common. One of the comedians actually made a joke about how so many men on the ship wore them.

I agree, whoever heard of a 'tucked in' Hawaiian shirts, I quite often wear one at dinner in warmer climates, and remember, the waiters have been known to wear them too. I tried to get my waiter to sell me one, they were that good, but they were 'for staff only'.

john

Untucked buttoned down shirts are the style now. Every guy wears their

shirts like that. I have two shorts that have fancy embroidered designs on

the bottom of the shirts and they would look stupid tucked in. I wore them

on the "elegant" nights on my last Carnival cruise.

I agree, whoever heard of a 'tucked in' Hawaiian shirts, I quite often wear one at dinner in warmer climates, and remember, the waiters have been known to wear them too. I tried to get my waiter to sell me one, they were that good, but they were 'for staff only'.

john

Agree - my husband wears only untucked Hawaiian shirts and slacks to dinner on smart casual nights on cruises. He has been known to bring over 20 on a two-week cruise!:eek:

My DH wears untucked shirts, agreed they are the style these days and many are designed to be worn that way.

It's interesting that the 'wear what you would in a fine dining establishment' verbiage is still used. There are many really nice restaurants these days that encourage/allow fairly casual attire. I've noticed this especially when I've travelled to western Canada.

My DH wears untucked shirts, agreed they are the style these days and many are designed to be worn that way.

It's interesting that the 'wear what you would in a fine dining establishment' verbiage is still used. There are many really nice restaurants these days that encourage/allow fairly casual attire. I've noticed this especially when I've travelled to western Canada.

What I find interesting is that even on Princess, the higher end specialty restaurants like Sabitini are smart casual, while the basic mdr has formal nights.

Archived