victory or freedom?

nikimouse

hi, i cant decide which cruise to choose - carnival victory southern carribbean from san juan, or carnival freedom eastern from fort lauderdale.

the southern goes to dominica, st thomas, barbados, st lucia, st kitts, and st martin. ( 7 nts, no sea days ) the freedom stops at san juan, st thomas,antigua, tortola, and nassau, and has 2 days at sea (8nts).

ive been to nassau befor, i dont mind going again, and also breifly visited antigua. i havent been to any other islands. i prefer to explore on my own without an excursion ( maybe just 1 excursion at 1 island only ) i just want to be on a nice beach with a cold drink, and love the thought of island hopping so have chosen the 2 cruises with the most ports. whats the best ship, best island, whats likely to be the most fun, we want to party! we are both early 30's and i want to have a bit of romance too this time as we are cruiseing alone without family and friends.

what do you all recommend?

even if you havent cruised either of these, which would you choose? i just want to know what the majority think is the best option, i dont know how to do a poll so just do a quick replie and let me know, if it was free, what would you choose?

It sounds like this will be your first cruise. A couple of points. We have done both (actually did the Freedom cruise you mentioned on a sister ship the Liberty). It really depends on what you want out of the cruise. If its beaches, I would recommend the Victory. Some of the best in the Carib. On the other hand, 2 sea days a re really nice and relaxing.

i have cruised twice but it was only a 4 day to nassau, and have always wanted to go to barbados. Ive been to florida twice, so am considering going to san juan because ive never been there, and can fly from the uk to newyork for a day befor flying to san juan. it does seem more exiteing. i was wondering how expensive it is while you are there? i would spend 3 days befor and after the cruise in puerto rico if i chose this option, and wondered if it would be more expensive than staying in orlando for 5 nights and miami for 1 night if i chose the freedom. i dont think we would hire a car in san juan but would need one in florida. also, i do like the sea days but on a port day we could just stay onboard if we wanted to, whats the one island you wouldnt mind missing in order to stay onboard and have the hot tub to yourselves?

hi, i cant decide which cruise to choose - carnival victory southern carribbean from san juan, or carnival freedom eastern from fort lauderdale.

the southern goes to dominica, st thomas, barbados, st lucia, st kitts, and st martin. ( 7 nts, no sea days ) the freedom stops at san juan, st thomas,antigua, tortola, and nassau, and has 2 days at sea (8nts).

ive been to nassau befor, i dont mind going again, and also breifly visited antigua. i havent been to any other islands. i prefer to explore on my own without an excursion ( maybe just 1 excursion at 1 island only ) i just want to be on a nice beach with a cold drink, and love the thought of island hopping so have chosen the 2 cruises with the most ports. whats the best ship, best island, whats likely to be the most fun, we want to party! we are both early 30's and i want to have a bit of romance too this time as we are cruiseing alone without family and friends.

what do you all recommend?

nikimouse,

Freedom; The extra night tips the scale in Freedom's favor.

We've sailed both ships and both are well maintained, similar in size, and similar in design.

Regardless of which ship you choose, I'm sure you'll have a good time. :)

i have cruised twice but it was only a 4 day to nassau, and have always wanted to go to barbados. Ive been to florida twice, so am considering going to san juan because ive never been there, and can fly from the uk to newyork for a day befor flying to san juan. it does seem more exiteing. i was wondering how expensive it is while you are there? i would spend 3 days befor and after the cruise in puerto rico if i chose this option, and wondered if it would be more expensive than staying in orlando for 5 nights and miami for 1 night if i chose the freedom. i dont think we would hire a car in san juan but would need one in florida. also, i do like the sea days but on a port day we could just stay onboard if we wanted to, whats the one island you wouldnt mind missing in order to stay onboard and have the hot tub to yourselves?

Dominica was not one of my favorites (but then again some people on here love it) because there was not that much to do without doing a ship excursion.

hey whats wrong with san juan? im from the uk, its not in any of our holiday brosures, the only places in the carribean are barbados, jamaica, dominican republic and cancun, so the english dont go there. We dont want to end up in the ghetto but do want to be adventurous and avoid other british tourists as we are definately not your typical british anyway. ive been made redundant and want to blow it all on a holiday of a lifetime , i might not be able to do this again.

hey whats wrong with san juan? im from the uk, its not in any of our holiday brosures, the only places in the carribean are barbados, jamaica, dominican republic and cancun, so the english dont go there. We dont want to end up in the ghetto but do want to be adventurous and avoid other british tourists as we are definately not your typical british anyway. ive been made redundant and want to blow it all on a holiday of a lifetime , i might not be able to do this again.

Nothing wrong with San Juan. Where would you be staying? Old San Juan is fun and lots to do. LOL...took me a minute to figure out the "made redundant " line. I just think there are better beaches on other islands than P.R.offers.

Is the Victory still offering the option of starting the cruise in Barbados? If so, I would seriously consider picking her up there and spending a few days in Barnados instead of Florida or San Juan. Barbados is now my all time favorite island, and we have been to a bunch!

The Freedom itinerary sounds good, so you are choosing between 2 great options, but I really love the Victory. Good luck deciding!

Is the Victory still offering the option of starting the cruise in Barbados? If so, I would seriously consider picking her up there and spending a few days in Barnados instead of Florida or San Juan. Barbados is now my all time favorite island, and we have been to a bunch!

The Freedom itinerary sounds good, so you are choosing between 2 great options, but I really love the Victory. Good luck deciding!

If this is still an option I would totally agree. Loved it there!

it does, and is more expensive than boarding in san juan, plus i have a credit with delta airlines i want to use but they dont fly to barbados, im gonna look into useing the delta airfare to get me to the USA, then i could book a seperate flight to barbados, do you know what the best US city would be to fly from? it wont cost me anything to get to new york, atlanta, minniapolis or detroit from the uk because they owed me money i got a credit note. what city typically has the cheapest fares to barbados because i would love to stay there! although the cruise would cost $200 extra and i would have to clear imigration in san juan, which is a pain. i could book through a uk travel agent and pay more than double what a US travel agent charges, most of the negative reviews ive read were from people (from the uK) who board in barbados , pay a fortune, and then discover they have to get up and clear imigration and share the ship with people who are on a budget vacation. id be a bit pissed too if i paid what the uk travel agents are chargeing! but im not doing a package holiday ill find a cheaper way

it does, and is more expensive than boarding in san juan, plus i have a credit with delta airlines i want to use but they dont fly to barbados, im gonna look into useing the delta airfare to get me to the USA, then i could book a seperate flight to barbados, do you know what the best US city would be to fly from? it wont cost me anything to get to new york, atlanta, minniapolis or detroit from the uk because they owed me money i got a credit note. what city typically has the cheapest fares to barbados because i would love to stay there! although the cruise would cost $200 extra and i would have to clear imigration in san juan, which is a pain. i could book through a uk travel agent and pay more than double what a US travel agent charges, most of the negative reviews ive read were from people (from the uK) who board in barbados , pay a fortune, and then discover they have to get up and clear imigration and share the ship with people who are on a budget vacation. id be a bit pissed too if i paid what the uk travel agents are chargeing! but im not doing a package holiday ill find a cheaper way

For Delta, it would be Atlanta. I don't know but my guess your best bet to fly to BArbados would be American out of Miami.

Both cruises are excellent choices.

My choice might depend on the overall costs. I would not consider flying to Barbados and doing the Victory cruise "backwards". That would be the most expensive option of all including airfare and cruise costs.

We alternated beach days on the San Juan Destiny cruise some years back. You'll find some absolutely outstanding beach options south of where the Florida 7 day ships can go. Specifically, beaches (if that's the focus) are great in St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, St Maarten, St. Kitts. I was less impressed with beaches in St. Thomas and your day in Dominica (maybe my favorite island for different reasons) will not be a beach day. San Juan beaches are just ok in my mind but visiting the forts are fantastic.

Have fun either way.

This would be a tough choice for me, but in the end I would probably pick the Southern cruise completely based on the fact that I would be visiting Dominica, St. Lucia, Barbados, St.Thomas, St Maarten & St. Kitts. I loved all of these islands. My favorite island being Dominica - which would not be a beach day - it was absolutely amazing. You could use this as your only excursion day or your stay on the ship day. But, I would strongly suggest doing an excursion in Dominica and not staying on board. I don't think you will regret it. :cool:

We took this cruise in July. I did not like the Victory or leaving out of San Juan, but would pick this cruise again because the itinerary was just that awesome. If you can, I suggest a balcony cabin. We used it A LOT during this cruise. If you stay in San Juan pre/post cruise, stay at a resort with a nice beach. You can always cab it into Old San Juan for the day for some shopping and stuff. I stayed in OSJ post cruise for 3 days and wished I was at a resort. The shopping & walking around got a little boring for me. Plus I was beat and just wanted to relax before heading home.

As far as the Freedom - I've never been on it so I can't compare it to the Victory. But I've been to Tortola and didn't like it much, and you've already been to Nassau and Antigua, so again I'd say my vote would be for the Southern route.

BUT, IMO Orlando would be much more fun for a pre/post cruise than San Juan. I just wish the Freedom did the Southern route out of Florida. LOL :p

Good luck! :D

Both cruises are excellent choices.

My choice might depend on the overall costs. I would not consider flying to Barbados and doing the Victory cruise "backwards". That would be the most expensive option of all including airfare and cruise costs.

We alternated beach days on the San Juan Destiny cruise some years back. You'll find some absolutely outstanding beach options south of where the Florida 7 day ships can go. Specifically, beaches (if that's the focus) are great in St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, St Maarten, St. Kitts. I was less impressed with beaches in St. Thomas and your day in Dominica (maybe my favorite island for different reasons) will not be a beach day. San Juan beaches are just ok in my mind but visiting the forts are fantastic.

Have fun either way.

I tell everyone if they are going to St. Thomas to hop a ferry to St. John and go to Trunk Bay. Best. Beach. Ever. ;)

scarlett828,

Thanks for your input, I agree that florida is definately fun fun fun, and i wasnt sure about san juan, but the southern itinerary is the best! and going to barbados is at least 50% more expensive so not an option.

i think if i do the southern, which i am more leaning towards, ill stay fri and sat befor the cruise at a lively resort like el san juan astoria or conrad san juan, go out and party, enjoy the cruise and then ive been looking at the waldorf astoria in fajardo, it has its own private island and waterpark, free breakfast and transfer to and from airport, its a bit out of the way but looks totally relaxing after a busy cruise. i would want to get off the ship in every port, although on some days we could just spend a morning off the ship and get back on board to enjoy the boat in the afternoon, or sleep in and go out later after lunch. hey even san juans beaches have to be 100 times better than any we have here! if the seas are rough i wont be going in any further than my knee and there is no way I want to get my hair wet either or snorkel as fish freak me out! if i was in florida i wouldnt bother with theme parks this time around but would squeeze in a waterpark and some shopping.

yes a southern cruise out of florida would be the best, i found one with norwegian but my TA warned me not to cruise with them so im sticking with carnival. ive had a balcony on the disney wonder and a penthouse suite on the carnival sensation, but was going to just get an inside this time and visit the spa with the money saved. i know ill miss the balcony because im a smoker, but i found out you can smoke inside the cabin and i didnt know that last time!

I have been on both ships. I was on the Freedom when it went to Europe and the Victory this past september. I would pick the Freedom. The ship is newer and much nicer. I like a couple of sea days and you don't get that on the Victory.

Archived