sailing out of NYC on Glory?

Mooguy

Will be sailing out of NYC 8/14/10 on CCL Glory and would like to know if I should switch to the port side of the ship? We were given a starboard cabin but seems like we will see more of the city and SoL on the port side?

Will be sailing out of NYC 8/14/10 on CCL Glory and would like to know if I should switch to the port side of the ship? We were given a starboard cabin but seems like we will see more of the city and SoL on the port side?

NY City will be visible on the port side, but the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side. Both won't be visible from any one cabin.

Many people will go out to an open deck area high on the ship to be able to see both or at least switch from one side to the other easily. It's not something passengers switch cabin locations over as you're only going to be cruising down the Hudson River for a short time.

I don't know the layout of your ship, but some have an open air seating area aft of the buffet, which might provide a good location to see both sides. In any event you're cruising in the summer, so it makes sense to be outdoors rather than in your cabin.

Initially, you'll see more of Manhattan on the port side, but the Statue of Liberty is on the starboard side. It's best if you're up on the Lido deck or above for sailaway. I love all the Canada/NE itineraries; have a great cruise!

NY City will be visible on the port side, but the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side. Both won't be visible from any one cabin.

Unless you have an aft cabin.:D We had an aft wraparound balcony on this itinerary in 2008 and had some great views.

I do like being up on deck during sailaway in NYC, especially when you sail under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. You generally reach the bridge 45 minutes - 1 hour after departure. You'll want to be up on the highest forward deck or the deck right by the funnel. It's a fun experience.

BTW, depending on what time you return to NY harbor at the end of your cruise (i.e., if the sun is up already), you may find that you get better photos of the Statue of Liberty on the return. When you sail out, the Statue will be to the west and you may be shooting into the sun.

Unless you have an aft cabin.:D We had an aft wraparound balcony on this itinerary in 2008 and had some great views.

I do like being up on deck during sailaway in NYC, especially when you sail under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. You generally reach the bridge 45 minutes - 1 hour after departure. You'll want to be up on the highest forward deck or the deck right by the funnel. It's a fun experience.

BTW, depending on what time you return to NY harbor at the end of your cruise (i.e., if the sun is up already), you may find that you get better photos of the Statue of Liberty on the return. When you sail out, the Statue will be to the west and you may be shooting into the sun.

Thanks for that info.

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing nothing about NY, do you pass Ms. Liberty before or after the bridge?

One problem we've had with sailing Carnival out of NYC is that our ships rarely have left on time, and we always opt for early dining. If the ship leaves on time (5:00), you should reach the bridge around 6 - you'll have time to be on deck to sail under, then get to the early seating. However, we've had several sailings where we were already in the dining room when we reached the bridge:(. It's not an issue if you've chosen the late seating or anytime dining, though.

Archived