Is the Ryndam still skipping Key West?

pseudochicken

I have noticed in the past few Ryndam cruises that it has skipped Key West. Instead it has sailed to Cozumel, if I am not mistaken. I hear this is because one of the terminals is under construction, is this right? I'll be sailing on the Ryndam on January 3rd. Does anyone know when construction will be finished or will HAL be substituting Cozumel for Key West until it is finished? :confused:

Thank you for any input!

We stopped in KW as scheduled on the Thanksgiving cruise. I had read that the cruise the week prior to ours did not stop in KW and did go to Cozumel. I think we were originally supposed to dock at Mallory Square, but we ended up at the Navy base pier and had to shuttle to downtown. There was only one other ship in port that day, so that may have affected the decision (e.g., too many ships and HAL may pass it by).

OK, good to know. According to cruisett.com there is only one other ship in port with us that day in Key West. But cruisett has not been updated for a while and still says that our ship will be the Veendam. They don't even have Oasis of the Seas schedule up yet.

We were told that the reason we skipped Key West was because one of two evaporators had broken down and they needed a sea day up front to fix the problem. However, a crew member told me that they were told that the ship would probably not be going back to Key West-for reasons not entirely clear.

I suppose you will have to wait and see if your cruise experience will be "enhanced" by going to Cozumel. Actually, we did manage to have a great day in Cozumel, but a number of fellow PAX were not happy about the change.

I was on the Ryndam 6-13 Dec. The reason given on board was that the evaporator needed to be fixed and they could not load fresh water in Key West so the port was changed to Cozumel where they could. I would not expect a repair until drydock in Feb.

On my recent cruise on the Maasdam we didn't notice any construction at the Navy Yard pier on 11/19/09. There was one ship at Mallary Square, and there was plenty of room for at least another ship with us at the Navy Yard. The Maasdam will be there again on Thursday, 12/17/09.

DH is going to be disappointed if we skip KW. Other posters on CC were SO helpful giving us suggestions for KW, and he just GRINS every time we talk about the Atosha, frozen key lime pie, and the cemetary! It won't ruin our vacation, but we were really looking forward to going there.

Mountainmare, you MIGHT try the shorex dept -- they are still showing shorex for KW.

We were told at check in on 12/6 that the decision was just made at the last minute but, interestingly, the shore excursions info waiting in our room included Cozumel but not Key West. I had been checking the port schedule daily before we left and saw that the Ryndam was the only ship scheduled in KW on 12/7 so I was confident that the "port crowding" issue wouldn't arise. Alas, they found another reason to divert us and skip KW. Having previously *experienced* Cozumel we didn't get off of the ship.

We were told at check in on 12/6 that the decision was just made at the last minute but, interestingly, the shore excursions info waiting in our room included Cozumel but not Key West. I had been checking the port schedule daily before we left and saw that the Ryndam was the only ship scheduled in KW on 12/7 so I was confident that the "port crowding" issue wouldn't arise. Alas, they found another reason to divert us and skip KW. Having previously *experienced* Cozumel we didn't get off of the ship.

I received an email 12/4/09 sent at 5:18 with a notification of the change. So it was not so "last minute". The couple I was traveling with received the notification a little earlier than I did.

Hmmmm... very interesting indeed. Aside from the Hemmingway house and Margaritaville, is there anything substantial to do in Key West? I haven't been there in 8 years. I suppose I could do some research ... :rolleyes:

There's the Atosha museum (or whatever it is called :) ), the butterfly conservatory, the cemetary, chocolate-covered frozen key lime pie on a stick. The Little White House. Those are all hints from other CC members. There's a kayak tour operator, too.

Told DH it looks like we'll be missing KW. He's fine with that -- it'll stll be warm, sunny and we'll be cruising :) Truly, what more do we need?

There's the Atosha museum (or whatever it is called :) ), the butterfly conservatory, the cemetary, chocolate-covered frozen key lime pie on a stick. The Little White House. Those are all hints from other CC members. There's a kayak tour operator, too.

Told DH it looks like we'll be missing KW. He's fine with that -- it'll stll be warm, sunny and we'll be cruising :) Truly, what more do we need?

Butterfly conservatory sounds ... boring. :o We went to college in Gettysburg so there aren't really any cemeteries out there that could match up to the one we got to explore. (Plus all the old, creepy cemeteries we've been accustomed to while living in the North East). Key Lime pie is ok when it is in pie form.

Aside from little trinket shops in Key West there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do compared to Cozumel. Cozumel you can go to beaches, to Mayan ruins, to the jungle and etc.

Butterfly conservatory sounds ... boring. :o We went to college in Gettysburg so there aren't really any cemeteries out there that could match up to the one we got to explore. (Plus all the old, creepy cemeteries we've been accustomed to while living in the North East). Key Lime pie is ok when it is in pie form.

Aside from little trinket shops in Key West there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do compared to Cozumel. Cozumel you can go to beaches, to Mayan ruins, to the jungle and etc.

Then I guess you won't be sorry to miss it if that's what happens :) We're fine with whichever port we end up at, really, though we were looking forward to KW. We have the 14 days planned more or less on "sloth, culture, active, sloth, culture, active, repeat" :) KW was intended to be "sloth", but we can substitute "active". We're adaptive!

diff'rent strokes. On our Ryndam cruise last week we did not speak with one single person at dinner, in the bars, at trivia, etc. who was happy about skipping Key West for Cozumel. Many, like us, didn't get off of the ship at Cozumel....since many had already booked excursions to the beach and Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya, Cozumel was pretty redundant....

When I was there I did Geocaching. We found about 7 caches all within walking distance to the shuttle bus drop off. We also ran into other Geocachers who were there at the island who tipped us off to a store that was selling old ship wreck coins. A quick stop there was very interesting. We had lunch at the beach and later drinks at Smokey Joes. It's an American beach resort after all. You don't really go there for good museums, interesting architecture and beautiful views. You go to experience the Bohemian atmosphere of the place and of course, purchase cheap souvenirs to take home and give away.

I don't think KW is boring. It is the southernmost point and yes, Bohemian in character. The Mel Fischer Museum (Atocha) is definitely worth visiting. There is also the Hemingway House, Audabon House and Little White House (Pres Truman). If time allows, arrange for a tour to Fort Jefferson, which is suggested this be arranged ahead of time. Then there is the famous bar, Smoky Joes. It's really an interesting port stop, a little different from the run of the mill.

Marianne

Since the thread is about the Ryndam, and the Ryndam has Key West on a weekly itinerary, I'm willing to place a small wager that rjm1cc means the Ryndam.

Ah yes, that'd make sense. I was a bit thrown off by the "January 17th through 30th sailing" making me think it was a two week voyage on some other ship like the Maasdam. But I know realize it is merely a B2B cruise. Sorry for the added confusion.

I don't think KW is boring. It is the southernmost point and yes, Bohemian in character. The Mel Fischer Museum (Atocha) is definitely worth visiting. There is also the Hemingway House, Audabon House and Little White House (Pres Truman). If time allows, arrange for a tour to Fort Jefferson, which is suggested this be arranged ahead of time. Then there is the famous bar, Smoky Joes. It's really an interesting port stop, a little different from the run of the mill.

Marianne

Maybe "Key West is boring" was a wrong choice of words. I know Cozumel is a party port but even so I think I'd prefer Cozumel over Key West. Particularly if the Ryndam will only be docked there for 5 hours. I'd bet if the Ryndam sails straight for Cozumel it could get there by morning and we'd have a longer day in port.

Archived