Dawn-Manhattan Disembark Question

ieatchickens

We will be sailing to Bermuda this coming June on the Dawn and have a question regarding disembarking and our airport transfer. Our cruise gets into Manhattan around 8:00 am.

My question is how long does it take to clear customs, get a car service to Newark? (assuming an on time arrival in NY) ;)

My plan was to find a return flight sometime after 1:00 but I can save around $250 per ticket (5 of us) by taking the 11:20 AM flight. I doubt I can make this but I had to ask for a chance to save $1,250.

You people living near post cities don't realize how good you have it.

We will be sailing to Bermuda this coming June on the Dawn and have a question regarding disembarking and our airport transfer. Our cruise gets into Manhattan around 8:00 am.

My question is how long does it take to clear customs, get a car service to Newark? (assuming an on time arrival in NY) ;)

My plan was to find a return flight sometime after 1:00 but I can save around $250 per ticket (5 of us) by taking the 11:20 AM flight. I doubt I can make this but I had to ask for a chance to save $1,250.

the "rule" is it takes two hours to clear the ship(before any one is supposed to get off) and get all the luggage off for people to pick up. Then you have to clear customs and immigration that sometimes is quick and sometimes isn't. Sometimes the ship makes it early sometimes it makes it late. If you carry your own luggage and your car is there to meet you- its only about a half hour- 45 minutes to Newark with little traffic- anything can happen. So 11:20 is cutting it close but occasionally possible. While many times you can make it, you will spend all your trip worrying about it. .....it may be cheaper for you to spend a night in Manhattan and get the cheaper flight the next day......and not worry about it.

Thanks for the reply smeyer,

I thought you might be the one to answer this question. I hadn't thought about the two hours to clear the ship. I kind of figured this would be a no go leaving that early but thought I would check to see anyway.

The other couple we are cruising with are in a situation where they don't want to take anymore vacation days than they have to. We will be flying in early on Friday for a couple of days in NYC before the cruise so 6 vacation days is enough for them.

I will just keep an eye out for better flight prices.

Thanks for the help. :)

While the cruise line uses a two hour rule of thumb, in reality since the implementation of self disembarkation, those who take their own luggage off have been able to start disembarking within about 45 minutes of the ship's arrival. If ther ship arrives on time and self disembarkation starts on time you would have a decent chance of making that flight.

On the other hand both Sid and I were recently on a cruise where the start of self disembarkation was delayed by Customs and Border Protection because they decided they wanted all non US citizens off the ship first. If something like that happens, you'll never make that flight.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

While the cruise line uses a two hour rule of thumb, in reality since the implementation of self disembarkation, those who take their own luggage off have been able to start disembarking within about 45 minutes of the ship's arrival. If ther ship arrives on time and self disembarkation starts on time you would have a decent chance of making that flight.

On the other hand both Sid and I were recently on a cruise where the start of self disembarkation was delayed by Customs and Border Protection because they decided they wanted all non US citizens off the ship first. If something like that happens, you'll never make that flight.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

and what a pain that was!

I would say a fair chance at making it, and maybe worth a try. But, as said above, any little hickup on the ship, or in traffic and you are in trouble.

Might be worth a visit to the roll call for some recent Dawn cruises to ask there if anybody has good info.

On one of my cruises, self-disembarkation was delayed and took longer than usual because a gangway wasn't operating properly. It didn't take too much time to fix, but the stress wondering *when* it would be fixed wouldn't be worth it to me.

Traffic in and around NYC is very unpredictible. This is true even in the Newark airport area. I hit an extensive amount of traffic near Newark when driving to a wedding, we almost missed the ceremony.

Just because we live near port cities doesn't mean we are without issues. We had a friend picking us up from the Dawn in October. He was due to arrive at 10:30 but an accident in Queens held him up until almost noon!

Archived