I-phone, 3g reception in med

breckpatty

Hi Silver Sea Veterans,

I've read the posts about internet access and Kindle useage aboard Silversea Ships.

BUT

I haven't read anything about using a Global I-phone or 3G Global modem to access internet shipboard. My verizon smart phone can get internet service where there is no cell signal.

Anybody have experience with this?

Thank you in advance, Patty T

• 2 weeks later...

Susan and I have Verizon BlackBerry Storms. Before our recent trip I contacted Verizon and they activated the phones for international use and then i got their international package which is about $40 more per phone per month for unlimited data pretty much anywhere ($70 per month versus $30 per month here in the States). They then pro-rated the international feature so we would only get billed from December 8 until December 20 when we were back in the US. It worked everywhere. When I get my bill, I'll see if what they told me worked out as they promised, but I got confirmation e-mails so if any issue I'm sure they will handle.

-

They did review the phone charges with me, which varied by country - all less expensive than on the ship, by the way, so we tried to keep our calls to a minimum and only on the islands. We did have a weird problem in Barbados where we could not receive calls (we could make calls, get data etc.) which they said was an issue with the local carrier and our phone. Everything worked everywhere else. Our additional data charges should end up being less than $50 and we found it very helpful.

-

Guessing Verizon has same sort of program for your phone. Check with them first. Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the report on the Storm & Verizon.

I got the same program on my Storm for a month in New Zealand. We did have trouble in a few remote areas but the cities service was pretty good. If I can't find a better option, I'll probably try it in Europe.

Breckpatty

Archived