LAX/PIER soda purchase

trickylibrarian

Princess docks at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. There is nothing really within walking distance. You'll have to grab a cab or stop on the way to the pier. The major chains out here are Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons. If you search their websites, look for one in San Pedro and as close to the pier as possible. Don't know if you have them in Chicago, but we also have Trader Joe's. However, they sell off brand sodas, but have a great selection of wines.

We used SuperShuttle at LAX and asked the driver to stop for mixers on the way to San Pedro and he stopped at a giant supermarket (I forget the name) right next to the freeway. We loaded up and gave him a $10 tip for his trouble.

Mike:)

There's a Vons several blocks away from the cruise port. Vons or Ralphs will have the best prices; Albertsons tends to be a bit more expensive. If you go to www.vons.com, and look for a store in San Pedro, you'll see where it is:

1221 Gaffey St.

San Pedro, CA 90731

Store Phone: 310-832-7063

Store Hours:6:00 AM - Midnight

I just checked and to get to Ralph's, you'd drive right past Von's.

We're going to be on the Sapphire this Saturday too!

If anyone knows about the soda card, that would be great info. But, we'll ask our shuttle driver about stopping at a grocery store too!

Great post!

The soda cards vary in price according to the lengh of the cruise.

Thanks. Any reason you used the shuttle and not a taxi? Is it more convenient, less expensive?

There are four of us that travel together with considerable luggage and it is just a little more convenient to use one vehicle (and usually cheaper) than two seperate taxis.

We took the whole SuperShuttle van for $81 and asked to stop at the supermarket. We could have just gotten onto the SuperShuttle in a shared van for I think $17 each, so it was very little more and we didn't have to feel bad asking the driver to stop.

The soda cards vary in price according to the lengh of the cruise.

The soda card is $4.25 per person per day plus 15% times the number of days of your cruise.

So if you consume 3 or more sodas a day it would be a good deal.

Thanks. Any reason you used the shuttle and not a taxi? Is it more convenient, less expensive?
You mean from LAX to the pier? It's far less-expensive to take the shuttle. LA traffic can be horrible so if you're in a taxi with the meter running, you'll pay a big price. It's about 20 miles from LAX to the pier. Ask yourself whether you'd take a taxi at home for a 20-mile drive in traffic without a set price.

The best thing would be to fly in a day ahead. That'll give you a chance to relax as well as take the hotel's shuttle (I believe the ones recommended on the western destinations board on CC have a free shuttle) to Vons or Ralphs and stock up. Those are major chain supermarkets and will have a great variety of soda at decent prices. I just picked up Sierra Mist and Mountain Dew for a fantastic price today from our local Ralphs (six two-liter bottles for 79 cents each). You can also go to Target or CVS drugstores and buy soda.

In California, you can also buy liquor at drugstores and grocery stores. Some Targets now sell wine.

Just got back from Shapphire cruise out of San Pedro. There is a CVS Pharmacy 700 S.Gaffey, San Padro, CA - great selection of alcohol, wine, beer, pop, water all at great prices. Not a big detour from cruise ship port and quick to get in and out of. We always get a 24 of water, cover it in packing tape and stick a luggage tag on it...then check it at the dock.

Weather was cool til we got to first port. Dining room food was great - would suggest going to International Dining Room for lunch instead of buffet.

You mean from LAX to the pier? It's far less-expensive to take the shuttle. LA traffic can be horrible so if you're in a taxi with the meter running, you'll pay a big price. It's about 20 miles from LAX to the pier. Ask yourself whether you'd take a taxi at home for a 20-mile drive in traffic without a set price.

The downside to a shared van (as opposed to the exclusive van that bhopal2 booked) is the possibility of circling the airport looking for additional fares or having people getting off before you,t urning that 30 minute drive into over an hour. I'd either take a cab (usually about $55 plus tip) or have a private car service drive me. For about $65 plus tip you can have a lovely kickoff to your vacation, and the driver would no doubt be happy to stop along the way so you can pick up essential items. Although the meter won't be running, there may be waiting time added to the bill, something to be aware of. We use Apex Transportation, 800-359-1800 when we're not driving ourselves.:)

The downside to a shared van (as opposed to the exclusive van that bhopal2 booked) is the possibility of circling the airport looking for additional fares or having people getting off before you,t urning that 30 minute drive into over an hour.
That's true. :) I usually plan on leaving a lot of time so circling the airport isn't a big enough deterrant for me. Also, I usually travel as a single so for me, the cost of a taxi is pretty steep.

Archived