Locking the luggage

HickoryKat77

If you have the type of luggage that uses zippers to lock it doesn't make any difference if you lock it or not. Any zipper suitcase can be opened with something as simple as a ball point pen in less than 3 seconds.

Watch this video:

:eek: :eek: :eek: That's scary! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, my clothes and my shoes are valuable, so that takes care of the "do not put anything valuable in your suitcase" comments. If you total up what our shoes cost, it's more than the Ipods and cell phone we carry on.

We always use locks, I don't only care that it may deter a thief (I think it will) but also for the fact it can keep your zipper pulls together while the case is tossed around.

I completely disagree with those who state the more security features the more a thief will be attracted to your case. Quite the contrary, if a person is looking for a suitcase to break into, they will go for the one that will be easiest, the one with no lock.

I work in a luggage store and have people come in to replace a piece, usually damaged by the airline, rarely because it was stolen or even more rare that it was broken into. The most common piece that is stolen are briefcases, usually left on the seat of a car or next to the person in an airport when they have their attention diverted.

Well, my clothes and my shoes are valuable, so that takes care of the "do not put anything valuable in your suitcase" comments. If you total up what our shoes cost, it's more than the Ipods and cell phone we carry on.

I have no idea of what your clothes and shoes are worth so won't dispute your statement. However, the fact is that Ipods, laptops, cameras and jewlery are much easier fence then a bunch of used clothes and shoes. I have never heard of luggage being broken into and clothes and shoes being stolen but I have heard of other "valuables" going missing from both locked and unlocked luggage.:eek:

Valuable to you maybe but not the average thief! They are obviously more interested in jewellery, electronics, etc. I guess it depends why you lock your bag. If it's purely to avoid theft I personally think it's a waste of time. If it's to keep the contents secure (a different thing) I use a distinctive sturdy strap on my case for easy identification and to avoid the bag accidentally bursting open during handling although that problem has diminished since I started to use soft bags with zips instead of rigid bags with catches.

I completely disagree with those who state the more security features the more a thief will be attracted to your case. Quite the contrary, if a person is looking for a suitcase to break into, they will go for the one that will be easiest, the one with no lock.

Maybe the kid next door. But someone who is regularly stealing from suitcases will be able to open a locked case as quickly as an unlocked case. The lure of what's behind the lock will attract him.

Luggage locks do not keep honest people out of your luggage and they won't keep theives out, either.

It is a snap to get through a luggage lock if one is so inclined.

I put cable ties on zippers only to be sure they don't get pushed/slide open accidentally.

Don't put valuables in your suitcase and no problem.

No cameras, no jewelry, no laptops etc

Archived