QM2 on Science Channel Tonight

MrsMuir

Before you tell me this is the HAL Board, I just wanted to know if anyone else had the pleasure of watching the hour-long show on the Science Channel tonight about the Queen Mary 2. We've seen the Cunard marketing video a few times, but this documentary was free of hype and we got to go behind the scenes during a TA from NY to Southampton. They even showed a team disinfecting a Noro-infected stateroom. I was doing OK until the "bong" tone sounded -- just like on a HAL ship. DH heard me sobbing and joined me on the loveseat to comfort me.

We were married aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, so we have a special affinity for QM2, and may someday do a TA to England on her. I also would like to experience a voyage on an ocean liner vs. a cruise ship. I would appreciate hearing from HAL Mariners who have been aboard QM2.

Mrs M (Glazed-eyed Anglophile)

Was this the show called "Mighty Ships"? I saw it on DirecTV on a channel called HD Theater which I had never noticed before but does other Science Channel stuff, etc. I also noticed that the tones were EXACTLY the same.

The Queen Mary is gorgeous at her permanent home in Long Beach. What a wonderful place to get married!

I didn't catch the first part and missed the noro room, but I caught everything about the galley and dining room tasks, etc. Such a great way for those that are unfamiliar to know what goes on behind the scenes. It's so similar back there, no matter which line

I haven't been on a QM2 voyage yet, but I did enjoy a tour and luncheon aboard last week. I was very impressed with this magnificent ship. Everything about it just exudes class. I really had to rely on deck plans to find my way around, as besides its large size, its layout is very different from any other ship I have been on. I believe that having sailed on the Noordam, for example, I would feel right at home on the Queen Victoria or the now building Queen Elizabeth. The luncheon served in the stunning Brittania Dining Room was superb.

Since you are an Anglophile, you will enjoy the company of a large number of British passengers, and officers. And the English cuisine available, as well as the formal tea in the Queen' Room, and the Pub for darts and ale, etc. I have been on a QE2 crossing, and there is nothing else like it for an experience of the grand old days of ocean liner travel.

Thanks for your replies, Dutch and Bob, and for the photos, John. The Wedding Chapel is, I think, on the portside, aft. It used to be the Smoking Room back when Fred Astaire and Cary Grant were aboard, and is now refitted with pews and a small podium and a stained glass window suitable for any creed. We were married by a retired Navy Chaplain. That was in 1978. In 2005 my big sister chose the Queen Mary for her wedding, and my little sister and I were her matrons of honor.

Lovely shipboard memories, even in port! I envy your lunch aboard the QM2, bob brown.

Mrs M

Yes, the QM2 special was apart of the series Mighty Ships. It actually aired a few weeks ago and repeated last night. It was pretty interesting, I agree. Some of the information (behind the scenes cooking and cleaning, etc.) I don't really care for. I am more interested in the ship design and construction process. I hate it when they spit out facts like how many eggs were consumed and how much bilge is collected and how many steak filets were prepared. BOOORRING.

We were married aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, so we have a special affinity for QM2, and may someday do a TA to England on her. I also would like to experience a voyage on an ocean liner vs. a cruise ship. I would appreciate hearing from HAL Mariners who have been aboard QM2.

Mrs M (Glazed-eyed Anglophile)

What are you waiting for? ... Book a crossing on my favourite ship! ;)

You'll love every day on board! :)

Hubby and I were on the QM2 a few years ago. I loved it! She's grand, big, beautiful and elegant. What struck me is eating all of my meals off of Wedgewood china and how the water glass in the bathroom was Waterford. And tea time in the grand ballroom - unforgetable! We also had the best tablemates we've ever had on that ship and by far the best service. Loved the pub, the planetarium - the HUGE hallways and all the wood and brass... I'm getting all misty eyed. :o Our favorite line is HAL, but the QM2 certainly gave it a run for the money!

Answer: you can't sail on QE2 anymore!:(:D

Well, that's part of the problem. LOL

But in many ways I'm glad to have experienced QM2. I remember from the very 1st time I stepped aboard, that she's a suitable replacement for our beloved QE2. And looking forward to the next 16+ voyages on "my Mary". :)

Archived