Jewel: Is courtyard access only difference b/n AB and A3

yoyocruiser

Hello Helpful CC Folks,

We are currently booked in an AB suite for the Jewel in January. I left a message with the upsell desk. A person named Jessica (has anyone dealt with her?) called me back within minutes. She asked me to call back on Monday as at that time the upsell prices would be available but at the moment the cost would be what was posted. I was quite happy thinking of the possibility of upgrading.

However, I now realize that the A3 would be the only upgrade that would actually accomadate us (at least I believe that that is the case--we are a large group of six). I believe I read here that the suite itself is actually the same size as the A3.

As I consider the situation, I am actually not sure that an upgrade would actually be to our advantage. It would give us no more space. We have other relatives traveling who were located close to our AB suite that we would have to leave behind. While the courtyard is certainly lovely, I am aware that I absolutely could not have our other family members in the courtyard. Also, I am much more of a balcony person anyway.

So my basic question is whether or not there is any other advantage to the A3 over the AB other than the ourtyard access itself. For example, the suites are the same size, both give access to butler and concierge, and both have basically the same amenities. Also, just to be sure I totally understand courtyard access--this basically refers to a lap pool, hot tub, and sitting area that is very private and quiet. However, am I correct that there are no further amenities to this area (additional space, rooms, lounges etc.)

I am trying to get the best information possible because I have a sense that I may be fortuante enought to be offered a good upsell and I am aware that I need to make a fast decision so I want to do the research now. I have read a lot on here and researched old threads, but I really wanted to validate that what I am thinking is correct for the Jewel. However, at teh moment my thinking is leaning toward not taking an upsell even if offered due to our specific situation.

Thank you all so much.

Yoyocruiser

A3 and AB are identical. You have it right. No extra room.

There are also 2 A4's that are the same without the little extra bedroom.

The other not always noticed difference with the courtyard is that you can usually find the butler out and about in the area since ALL the rooms in that area get his service. He only visits the AB's when he has a specific reason since it is blended with all the other rooms.

If you have not suite friends, I would stick with the AB.

The only other difference between the two, and I believe this is only on the Jewel, is the Concierge Lounge that is on Deck 15. It looks out on the pool area and forward. It is for anyone who has access to the Courtyard floor. There are low couches facing the window, a TV, games, snacks. On other Jewel-class ships, the A2 Deluxe Owners' Suites are where the Concierge Lounge is on the Jewel.

If I were you, traveling with others, I'd stick with the AB.

There are also his and hers steam rooms and a very large sun deck with loungers and hammocks above the Courtyard area. You also have reserved seating in the showroom.

I do agree with the other posters, if you're traveling with other family members, unless everyone else upsells to the CY, you are better off staying in the AB. Enjoy!

I would like to thank very much for both confirming some of my information, as well as explaining what some of the additional amenities would be.

I believe I am inclined to remain where we are regardless of what upsell we might be offered. One can get so absorbed into the concept of an upgrade or upsell that it is easy to get removed from the big picture. The truth is, the family part of this is the most important to us. Right now my sister is in an inside cabin just right outside the door to our suite--and we can welcome her into our suite at any time. If an upsell would give us more space it might be a different story. But the primary amenity does seem to be the courtyard, and for our situation it just doesn't seem that it would be worth it. Even if we did not have other family on the ship, I also question how comfortable I would be with four teens/young adults utilizing the courtyard. I envision it truly as a restful and peaceful environment. While my kids are absolutely great, I don't think they would fully appreciate the concept. Nor do i feel that they would contribute to the peacefulness of others. They need to be in an environment where they are fully comfortable--and I think that would be on other areas of the ship.

I thank you for your opinions, as it seems you are basically validating my overall sense. However, I wanted to make sure I was making my decision based on the correct information. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. My goodness, we are usually in inside cabins, once in a balcony. So I know that we will have a marvelous time.

Thanks CC folks,

yoyocruiser

What if they have a Garden Villa available on your sailing and they offer you that upgrade? That's what happened to us. Our family had booked an AB and an AC (I think?) and we got an upsell from both rooms to the GV. It was incredibly spacious, everyone could be together, and the dining table is big enough to accommodate 8 comfortably (and sometimes we had 9 - dining in with the whole family was wonderful!). And you could even have your sister on a rollaway in the GV with you. If you're looking for family time, there's nothing better than the GV!

oh, and you also have your own garden patio w/hottub and steamroom, plus your own top-of-the-ship sundeck so your teenagers wouldn't have to go to the Courtyard, they could stay right in your Villa where you can keep an eye on them ;)

Cheers,

Joyce

Joyce,

If that were to happen I would be one happy cruiser. However, the A1 has not shown up as available on this cruise since I booked several months ago. Not that I could ahve afforded it, but at one point I did ask if there was anything available for 7 people and I was told no. So unfortunately I don't think that we will have such an opportunity. However, I will call Jessica back on Monday just to find out what exactly what they would be offering. She was so extremely supportive and certain that a wonderful upsell was going to be available. . .that. . . who knows? I will definitely check. But I am okay with staying in my AB!

That must have been a truly wonderful experience for your family! Waht a wonderful time you msut have had. That sounds like truly the ideal set up for a family.

LOL--one can dream :D

yoyocruiser

Which Jewel sailing are you on, yoyocruiser? I did a quick check on the January 2010 sailings and it looks like several of the later-in-the-month ones do have GVs available so if you're on one of those you might want to do some number crunching this weekend. Wouldn't hurt to be ready on Monday just in case they offer it to you!

And yes, it was absolutely wonderful!! We jumped on the offer when it came a couple weeks before our cruise and haven't spent a second looking back :p (on first blush we figured it would be way out of our price range but when we did the math and realized it was only going to cost us about $40 per person more a day than what we were already paying we went for it. For the additional space, amenities, and overall 'wow' experience we had, we thought it was well worth it.)

Good luck on whatever comes your way, have a great cruise!

~Joyce

Joyce,

If that were to happen I would be one happy cruiser. However, the A1 has not shown up as available on this cruise since I booked several months ago. Not that I could ahve afforded it, but at one point I did ask if there was anything available for 7 people and I was told no. So unfortunately I don't think that we will have such an opportunity. However, I will call Jessica back on Monday just to find out what exactly what they would be offering. She was so extremely supportive and certain that a wonderful upsell was going to be available. . .that. . . who knows? I will definitely check. But I am okay with staying in my AB!

That must have been a truly wonderful experience for your family! Waht a wonderful time you msut have had. That sounds like truly the ideal set up for a family.

LOL--one can dream :D

yoyocruiser

And remember... you can make a counter-offer to the upsell desk. After they give you price, make a silly offer and see where things end up. Good luck !!

Thank you all so much for your kind wishes and your help. I am truly getting so excited, especially as here in New England in my area we are expecting 24 inches of snow within the next 24 hours--it has not yet begun to snow. I spoke to my sister in Virginia and she has 14 inches from yesterday.

Joyce, the sailing we are on is the Jan 3rd one--this cruise is a bit more sold out and prices are also a bit higher. I suspect this is because families with children in college find this a good time to travel--not during the holidays--but while the kids are still home from school.

DMH--thanks so much for keeping your fingers crossed for us! And mumand son, thanks for the good advice.

I will let you folks know on Monday what happens!!

yoyocruiser

I would like to thank very much for both confirming some of my information, as well as explaining what some of the additional amenities would be.

I believe I am inclined to remain where we are regardless of what upsell we might be offered. One can get so absorbed into the concept of an upgrade or upsell that it is easy to get removed from the big picture. The truth is, the family part of this is the most important to us. Right now my sister is in an inside cabin just right outside the door to our suite--and we can welcome her into our suite at any time. If an upsell would give us more space it might be a different story. But the primary amenity does seem to be the courtyard, and for our situation it just doesn't seem that it would be worth it. Even if we did not have other family on the ship, I also question how comfortable I would be with four teens/young adults utilizing the courtyard. I envision it truly as a restful and peaceful environment. While my kids are absolutely great, I don't think they would fully appreciate the concept. Nor do i feel that they would contribute to the peacefulness of others. They need to be in an environment where they are fully comfortable--and I think that would be on other areas of the ship.

I thank you for your opinions, as it seems you are basically validating my overall sense. However, I wanted to make sure I was making my decision based on the correct information. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. My goodness, we are usually in inside cabins, once in a balcony. So I know that we will have a marvelous time.

Thanks CC folks,

yoyocruiser

Yoyocruiser,

I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation no matter where you end up. We were in the CY once before and it was wonderful...there were several children staying with their families (most 10 and under) and they were delightful. I think teens and such would spend most of their time on other parts of the ship (with the other teens of course!) but would still find time to spend in the courtyard...if for nothing else than a nice family breakfast.

Maybe you should see if your sister can get upsold to a suite? I think this would be fabulous as you would all have the suite perks!

Good luck and happy sailing! The Jewel looks like a fantastic ship.

Coffeecat

Archived