Heading to PANAMA~and COSTA RICA!

CeleBrat

Just booked this morning, the 8-day Carnival Miracle to Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize. We're all set with Belize, as we've been there before, and will be booking a cave-tubing trip.

But...has anyone been to Panama or Costa Rica with their kid lately? Any recommendations?

So excited!--CeleBrat

We did the partial Panama transit...needed no "excursion", since being on the ship IS the excursion! If you don't take a ship's excursion in Panama, you don't go....there are no "private" excursions avail., and all of the ship's exc. are very long....5-8 hours.

There's alot to do in Costa Rica...check out the "Port of Call" boards to see what others have done!

We went to Panama and Costa Rica on Carnival Liberty three years ago. Our kids were then 15, 10 (almost 11) and 7. In Costa Rica we took Carnival's "Caribbean Train, Boat, Bus" tour, which included a boat tour on the Tortuguero Canal, a train ride through the rain forest (note: the train is not air conditioned, but there was a breeze while the train was moving), and a tour of a banana plantation. My kids' favorite part was the boat tour - the guide pointed out all sorts of wildlife along the canal. There are independent tours that may spend more time along the canal than we did.

Carnival's Panama stop is at Colon - you don't enter the canal. We went with an independent tour through My Friend Mario that included a stop at the Gatun Locks and beach time at a local beach. Again, my kids really enjoyed this tour - but you should know that the beach is rustic. There are no lounge chairs or water toys/floats, and it's not a big tourist stop - most of the people other than those on our tour were locals (which for my kids was good - oldest son got to practice his Spanish).

nybumpkin--

Thanks for the info. We were wondering about the independent tours, as soe people on this site are hesitant to book independently in Panama. I will check out the tour guide you used.

Also, I've found a little info re: the Costa Rica tours, which look quite reasonable. I think the kids will really like the banana plantation, as we are BANANA EATERS!!!

Thanks!--CeleBrat

We were wondering about the independent tours, as soe people on this site are hesitant to book independently in Panama. I will check out the tour guide you used.
I think the key to booking an independent in Panama is to find something that doesn't cause you to be pressed for time. We picked our tour because we were scheduled to get back to the port between 1:30 and 2:00 for a 4:00 sailing, so we were comfortable with the schedule. We had plenty of time to visit some of the shops at the pier. Some other folks we met booked a longer tour and were worried about the time.

BTW, we picked up our all-time favorite cruise souvenir in Panama - a carved stone Nativity set. There are some very nice local crafts available at both Limon and Colon.

BTW, we picked up our all-time favorite cruise souvenir in Panama - a carved stone Nativity set. There are some very nice local crafts available at both Limon and Colon.

Kathy,

We picked one of those up in Panama for a Christmas gift. Really nice.

We did this same cruise in 2008. It was awesome!!

We stayed at the Renaissance the night before-good hotel, great location.

I have been frantically searching for the info for you and can't seem to find it right now.

We usually get off the ship and take independant tours, which we did in Costa Rica. Our tour guide was Willie. He was so wonderful. He is a single person, not a business-very sweet family man.

We went to the banana plantation, went on a tour of the island, ate lunch at a restaurant on the beach, souvenier shops, zoo. He was by far the cheapest. He wanted us to experience everything.

He packed his own lunch and was going to eat in the van-we invited him to eat lunch with us and he was very appreciative and grateful. He said he had never had anyone ask him to eat with them. :)

I had researched like crazy and couldn't find any info before we left so I spoke to Willie about this on our tour. I talked to him about creating a website, email acct. He emailed me to show me he set up an email acct-I can't find his email add.We stayed in touch with him for a while. My husband got a new phone and somehow we lost his number. I so wish I could find it for you. It was the best tour guide we have ever met.

I will keep looking for his number and/or email.

Panama was our least favorite port of all time. I couldn't even begin to recommend anything. The panama canal was ok. But the driving was the worst I had ever experienced, ANYWHERE. :eek:

Belize-we went to Banister Caye Beach. It was outstanding we used Ecotours. I think our tour guide was Natalie.

I am sorry I don't have better suggestions and info. If you would like to see photos or have any other questions. I would be happy to try to help.

I'll let you know we are going next week for New Years. Panama we booked my friend mario canal and beach tour (kids are age 4 and 1). Belize we are doing cave tubing (leaving kids with grandma on the ship) and in Costa Rica taking a rainforest/beach/plantation tour. All are private tours recommended through this board.

I'll let you know we are going next week for New Years. Panama we booked my friend mario canal and beach tour (kids are age 4 and 1). Belize we are doing cave tubing (leaving kids with grandma on the ship) and in Costa Rica taking a rainforest/beach/plantation tour. All are private tours recommended through this board.

I've been looking at my friend mario, but can't find his email address on the website. how did you get ahold of him?

Please post a review when you get back. Can't wait to hear! HAVE FUN!

--CeleBrat

• 2 weeks later...

CeleBrat - How old are your children?

I think a wonderful thing to see in Panama is to do an Embara Indian excursion. There is really nothing else quite like it. It will give your children a new appreciation of the world. There are always lots of Embera children in the villages and they are very friendly. You should be aware of 2 things though. First, it is a long bus ride there and then a short boat ride. Second, many of the women are topless so you shouldn't be shocked by that (there is nothing sexual about it though so really I don't think most parents would have an issue with it at all). I've been to see the Embera twice and love it. Here are some pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/embera_village

http://www.pbase.com/2112/embera_tusipono

Other options would be to see the forts at San Lorenzo or Portobelo:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/san_lorenzo_fort

http://www.pbase.com/2112/portobelo

We will be on that same cruise with a 9, 11 and 12 year old, thanks to all for the info, We think we have Belize and Costa Rica figured out, Panama is still the one we are working on.

You are on our cruise? Have you joined the Roll Call? COOL!

CeleBrat - How old are your children?

I think a wonderful thing to see in Panama is to do an Embara Indian excursion. There is really nothing else quite like it. It will give your children a new appreciation of the world. There are always lots of Embera children in the villages and they are very friendly. You should be aware of 2 things though. First, it is a long bus ride there and then a short boat ride. Second, many of the women are topless so you shouldn't be shocked by that (there is nothing sexual about it though so really I don't think most parents would have an issue with it at all). I've been to see the Embera twice and love it. Here are some pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/embera_village

http://www.pbase.com/2112/embera_tusipono

Other options would be to see the forts at San Lorenzo or Portobelo:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/san_lorenzo_fort

http://www.pbase.com/2112/portobelo

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I have been looking at a private tour that includes a stop with the Indians. I think my kids would think it would be UNREAL, yet amazing to see them.

CeleBrat

Celebrat,

We did a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in Jan/Feb 2008. It was amazing!

For Costa Rica, we were in Limon. We did an independent tour which included a boat ride through the Tortuguero Canal. The highlight for my kids (5 and 8 at the time) was the banana plantation and holding a sloth!!! We saw howler monkeys. We also stopped at a grocery store, and bought some coffee, etc. Honestly, I can't remember what else was included because the banana plantation and sloth were the highlight! My husband did a canopy tour, and LOVED it.

Which cave tubing did you do in Belize? How old was your child when you did it?

Tara

Celebrat,

We did a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in Jan/Feb 2008. It was amazing!

For Costa Rica, we were in Limon. We did an independent tour which included a boat ride through the Tortuguero Canal. The highlight for my kids (5 and 8 at the time) was the banana plantation and holding a sloth!!! We saw howler monkeys. We also stopped at a grocery store, and bought some coffee, etc. Honestly, I can't remember what else was included because the banana plantation and sloth were the highlight! My husband did a canopy tour, and LOVED it.

Which cave tubing did you do in Belize? How old was your child when you did it?

Tara

Thanks for the tips lowestar! I am very close to booking independent tours in both Costa Rica and Panama.

And--I think I may have worded my post oddly. We haven't cave tubed yet with the kids, but WILL do so on this trip. There is one tour operator who caters to kids, and we will most likely use them. Full trip report when I get back, so everyone can be in the know!

CeleBrat

Celebrat,

Which one were you looking at that caters to kids? I contacted the X-stream cave tubing for kids, and they were booked for my date (early February), but I contacted another one that has room. It was recommended by someone on another board. That poster posted pics of their young children with the vests/tubes that were kid-sized. (The guide is Vitalino maybe? I have the info in my email).

I would really like to do it ... just worrying a bit about going independently for Belize because of the tenders.

Lowestar

Archived