Snorkel Equipment Question

ShipShapeinFL

My husband and I will snorkeling for the first time on our Emerald cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. Is it best to buy our own snorkel equipment, or should we just use the equipment provided by the tours we will be taken? I am not germ-a-phobic but I do wonder how safe and sanitary is it using used snorkel equipment.

Buy your own Costco selling a Body Glove package with mask, dry snorkel, fins, and a bag 50 $.:DThat is how I got into scuba, my wife and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon with new snorkel gear, BAM next thing I know I have several thousands of dollars of scuba gear. Be careful.:D:D

My husband and I will snorkeling for the first time on our Emerald cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. Is it best to buy our own snorkel equipment, or should we just use the equipment provided by the tours we will be taken? I am not germ-a-phobic but I do wonder how safe and sanitary is it using used snorkel equipment.
The snorkeling gear provided by Princess Cruises excursions is acceptible to use, but will require adjustment to fit. We have snorkeled in St. John, St. Thomas, Barbados while on the Eastern Caribbean cruise.

I found the snorkel to be the worst part, as the design in use is cheap- basically a soda straw with no splash protection on the end and no drainage should water get in either by splash, going underwater, or just poor grip on the mouthpiece. I initially got around this with the inexpensive Body Glove snorkel, then later my wife and I got good gear including fins from a local dive shop. We were prompted to do this as my wife needed prescription lenses on her mask to see the pretty fish.

It takes a while to find fins that fit on the dive boats but we've always gotten something that works. All loaned gear goes into a "cleaning bucket" that supposedly has antiseptic qualities.

I'm also not a germ-freak, but it seems about as close to sharing a toothbrush with someone else as you can get. Yuck!

I took my own (inexpensive) gear and was very glad. Just doesn't seem like the kind of things I want to share with hundreds of others, no matter how well they say they "clean" them. JMHO. ;)

Be careful if you are counting on the rental fins if you wear a size 13 +. Many of the rental companies and boats do not have the larger sizes of fins. This has been a problem with myself and my son in the past. We always take ours now due to some disappointing trips. if you have big feet... BYOF

We take our own snorkel gear, including fins. It really is a lot easier. Try to get a dry snorkel. Really worth it if you get into some waves. We used free on one snorkel trip and were hooked. Have up graded our fins and snorkel a couple of times now, so go for what you really want. Perhaps a few more $$, but you'll use it. Once you try it , you will love it. I'm 63 and he is 75. We have no problems and enjoy it a lot.

Be careful if you are counting on the rental fins if you wear a size 13 +. Many of the rental companies and boats do not have the larger sizes of fins. This has been a problem with myself and my son in the past. We always take ours now due to some disappointing trips. if you have big feet... BYOF

If your feet are that big, I wouldn't think you would need fins:D

We have our own masks and snorkels but rent or borrow fins. The reason for the masks was to get RX lens for DH. Enjoy them alot. We also find it worthwhile to carry a snorkel vest (got them at the local dive shop). This vest helps to keep you from "bobbing" in the water and allows you to hang down and rest for a little while. We used these the first time while swimming in outer areas of the Barrier Reef in Australia and were hooked.

WORD OF WARNING: Carry your snorkel mask in your hand luggage. The cold and pressure in the luggage compartment of plane shattered one of our face masks. I just put the 2 masks in their tupperware like carry cases as the bottom layer of my large carryon. Snorkel vest and fins can go in suitcase.

I just wish the snorkeling in the Carib. was more like Hawaii, Tahiti and Australia's Great Barrier Reef. I think I have seen all 3 fish in the Carib. :rolleyes:

Barbara: You really can't compare the Pacific and Atlantic. There is a great deal more biodiversity in the Pacific. But there are plenty of interesting creatures here in the Caribbean, too! And no poisonous water snakes, great whites, etc!! ;)

Re: the dry snorkel. One problem is that there is more stuff to break. A regular (open) snorkel is much easier to use. You just have to blow out when you surface! :)

We've been snorkelling for years, now. As mentioned above, it is highly adviseable to bring your own equipment. I watched on one tour where the borrowed snorkels were "cleaned" in a tub of water with maybe a little chlorine. Vests were not cleaned - remember you use the inflation tube to blow it up. Fins, vest and snorkel fit well in the checked suitcases. If you bring fins, you should be able to fit the snorkel inside the fin to save space. Masks always go in the carryon to prevent breakage.

Also bring some of the anti-fog liquid. It's better than the spit-and-rinse method.

When you purchase a mask, the glass always has a film (oil?) on it. Take some toothpaste and, using your finger with light pressure, wipe it around the glass inside and out. Then rinse. This cleans off the film and helps prevent fogging. Also leaves your mask minty fresh and helps prevent cavities.:D

Art

Good tip! Do you have your dentist give it a check up periodically? How about flossing to keep the buckle clean.

I am just giddy from snow shoveling (18 inches) -- I SOOOOO need to go visit the 3 fish of the Carib!

We've been snorkelling for years, now. As mentioned above, it is highly adviseable to bring your own equipment. I watched on one tour where the borrowed snorkels were "cleaned" in a tub of water with maybe a little chlorine. Vests were not cleaned - remember you use the inflation tube to blow it up. Fins, vest and snorkel fit well in the checked suitcases. If you bring fins, you should be able to fit the snorkel inside the fin to save space. Masks always go in the carryon to prevent breakage.

Also bring some of the anti-fog liquid. It's better than the spit-and-rinse method.

When you purchase a mask, the glass always has a film (oil?) on it. Take some toothpaste and, using your finger with light pressure, wipe it around the glass inside and out. Then rinse. This cleans off the film and helps prevent fogging. Also leaves your mask minty fresh and helps prevent cavities.:D

Art

LOL, I will definately keep the toothpaste tip in mind.

Good tip! Do you have your dentist give it a check up periodically? How about flossing to keep the buckle clean.

I am just giddy from snow shoveling (18 inches) -- I SOOOOO need to go visit the 3 fish of the Carib!

It is a blustery 60 degrees here in FL today. We're originally from the Northeast and I can say I don't miss the snow whatsoever.

We, too, use our own snorkel gear. I would recommend you take the time to get to a dive shop and have them fitted properly. Give yourselves time if you need prescrition lenses. I tried the packaged gear (apporting goods store)but I got what I paid for (never again). They aren't that bad to pack either. We also use them at the lake in Minnesota and will be taking them on our "land Based" vacation on Kauaii next month. If you are sailing out of FLL (I think you are) there is a dive shop not far from the cruise terminal that can fit you, although I can't think of the name. It's easy to google though. I hope you find what you are looking for.

We, too, use our own snorkel gear. I would recommend you take the time to get to a dive shop and have them fitted properly. Give yourselves time if you need prescrition lenses. I tried the packaged gear (apporting goods store)but I got what I paid for (never again). They aren't that bad to pack either. We also use them at the lake in Minnesota and will be taking them on our "land Based" vacation on Kauaii next month. If you are sailing out of FLL (I think you are) there is a dive shop not far from the cruise terminal that can fit you, although I can't think of the name. It's easy to google though. I hope you find what you are looking for.

We do have a dive shop in town and are going to check it out after Christmas. I would rather spend the extra money and get something that will last us a few years.

Should you need a prescription mask, Body Glove makes a corrective mask in just three optical strengths...much the cheapest option. Apparently, the masks are somehow designed to work over a wide corrective range. Now, I may have been lucky but I find my mask provides perfect vision, despite astigmatism and the lot. Fits well, too.

Archived