Back to the Class System

jebl

That is a term that has been used around here for a very long time.

You are all over her like flies on..... fecal teabags. Just an observation.;)

lol. Don't worry, he's done attacking me over every thing I type because it's idiotic to go back and forth with him.

When there are limited resources, a business has to decide how to allocate them to their benefit. Giving perks to suite guests and/or frequent cruisers (or any other pre-defined group) is a tough line to walk because somebody isn't going to be happy. Either one group doesn't think they are getting enough or another one feels they are losing something.

As a few reasonable posts (on both sides of the issue) indicate, RCL is having a tough time. What I give them credit for is trying "something". Their goal is (or certainly should be) to give as many people as possible a positive reason to feel good about the overall cruise experience. I just hope they keep tweaking it to provide the most people what they need to be happy. Good luck with that.

But what does bother me about all the complaints on loss of diamond benefits (and I am affected and could be even more so if they raise the threshold for D+ as I will have 23 credits the end of next year) is that I haven't seen any gratitude for what we did receive - only bitching about what was taken away.

I choose RCL for our cruises for the product. Being given something for doing what I choose to do is a bonus. I don 't think there is any definition of bonus or perk that includes any reference to entitlement. But the feeling among most posters is that they are entitled forever to whatever they were given once.

Based on the prevalent attitude I see here, I guess if a first-time cruiser lucks out on a cruise line and gets a free upgrade they should get it on every cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I see and dislike the cutbacks, but I prefer to focus on being grateful for the gifts we have received. It just doesn't seem right to me to complain that I am not getting as much as I used to. If the product remains acceptable (and we all have to determine what that means) the lack of any perks is not likely to drive me away. But no perks I can imagine would keep me a customer if the cruise did not meet my standards.

The cutbacks were not designed to make people mad (although from the posts you would certainly think RCL has it "in" for Diamonds). They were based on business decisions to improve the bottom line. If the bottom line stays bad, companies can go out of business.

And very few people seem willing to believe the crowding in the CL had anything to do with it. We were on the Radiance of the Seas in March from Brazil to Chile with a load factor of about 60% and we almost always had to go to the overflow lounge. The CL on that ship had seats for about 20 and standing room for about another 25-30 and was overwhelmed most of the time. A lounge you can't get into isn't much of a benefit. And you can bet people have complained about that for a good while. What would make them happy? Making the CL four times as large? Then we would have a new debate on whatever was taken away from public areas to make that happen. Anybody see a vicious circle here?

When there are limited resources, a business has to decide how to allocate them to their benefit. Giving perks to suite guests and/or frequent cruisers (or any other pre-defined group) is a tough line to walk because somebody isn't going to be happy. Either one group doesn't think they are getting enough or another one feels they are losing something.

As a few reasonable posts (on both sides of the issue) indicate, RCL is having a tough time. What I give them credit for is trying "something". Their goal is (or certainly should be) to give as many people as possible a positive reason to feel good about the overall cruise experience. I just hope they keep tweaking it to provide the most people what they need to be happy. Good luck with that.

But what does bother me about all the complaints on loss of diamond benefits (and I am affected and could be even more so if they raise the threshold for D+ as I will have 23 credits the end of next year) is that I haven't seen any gratitude for what we did receive - only bitching about what was taken away.

I choose RCL for our cruises for the product. Being given something for doing what I choose to do is a bonus. I don 't think there is any definition of bonus or perk that includes any reference to entitlement. But the feeling among most posters is that they are entitled forever to whatever they were given once.

Based on the prevalent attitude I see here, I guess if a first-time cruiser lucks out on a cruise line and gets a free upgrade they should get it on every cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I see and dislike the cutbacks, but I prefer to focus on being grateful for the gifts we have received. It just doesn't seem right to me to complain that I am not getting as much as I used to. If the product remains acceptable (and we all have to determine what that means) the lack of any perks is not likely to drive me away. But no perks I can imagine would keep me a customer if the cruise did not meet my standards.

The cutbacks were not designed to make people mad (although from the posts you would certainly think RCL has it "in" for Diamonds). They were based on business decisions to improve the bottom line. If the bottom line stays bad, companies can go out of business.

And very few people seem willing to believe the crowding in the CL had anything to do with it. We were on the Radiance of the Seas in March from Brazil to Chile with a load factor of about 60% and we almost always had to go to the overflow lounge. The CL on that ship had seats for about 20 and standing room for about another 25-30 and was overwhelmed most of the time. A lounge you can't get into isn't much of a benefit. And you can bet people have complained about that for a good while. What would make them happy? Making the CL four times as large? Then we would have a new debate on whatever was taken away from public areas to make that happen. Anybody see a vicious circle here?

Maybe they could just take out some of those inside cabins that some don't seem to think count for much and make a huge CL. That way they don't have to take away any public space.:D:D

What they are actually doing is removing the sugar and charging huge rates for the sugar packets.They are also changing cruising from 'the only way to travel' to one of the many ways to travel.Their choice.No lost sleep here over their decisions

:cj

Agreed... CJ... you're always a voice of reason.

That is a term that has been used around here for a very long time.

You are all over her like flies on..... fecal teabags. Just an observation.;)

You must mean "on a rib roast". LOL Dude... she takes it personal... must be the "Queens" in her. :eek:

lol. Don't worry, he's done attacking me over every thing I type because it's idiotic to go back and forth with him.

So true... it's like arguing with an idiot... first they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. :D See ya in the Diamond lounge. LOL

Very well said! I agree with most of what you have said here. I can see both sides of this and as I said earlier, that all I have to do to get those benefits is book a suite.

I do think that what makes people mad about having diamond benefits taken away is that most folks that are diamond feel they have earned that benefit by being loyal to Royal. After all, this is what they advertised and dangled in front of customers faces for the last several years. To go back on that and at the same time add suite perks can be seen as a slap in the face. Yes, I understand that there are now lots of D members. But you have to wonder....did they not see this coming? This was poor planning on RCI's part. This could have been handled differently.

Going back to suite perks.....There have been several posts here saying that suite guests pay for those perks. How is this any different than a non suite guest paying for a pool side deck chair? Isn't that included in their fare? There have been numerous posts saying that deck chairs are always available. If that is true, then why the need to reserve them for suite guests? Obviously this can also apply to the show lounge and the beach at Labadee. I'm only focusing on the deck chairs just for the sake of the conversation.

One could argue that paying extra for a suite is just that. You are getting a suite. Real estate on a ship is a premium. A suite takes the space of 2 maybe 3 non suite staterooms with only one sea pass account compared with 2 or 3 sea pass accounts. Again, it's the non suite guests who make up a majority of the revenue for RCI. If this wasn't true, you would see a much higher percentage of suites!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Very well said! I agree with most of what you have said here. I can see both sides of this and as I said earlier, that all I have to do to get those benefits is book a suite.

I do think that what makes people mad about having diamond benefits taken away is that most folks that are diamond feel they have earned that benefit by being loyal to Royal. After all, this is what they advertised and dangled in front of customers faces for the last several years. To go back on that and at the same time add suite perks can be seen as a slap in the face. Yes, I understand that there are now lots of D members. But you have to wonder....did they not see this coming? This was poor planning on RCI's part. This could have been handled differently.

Going back to suite perks.....There have been several posts here saying that suite guests pay for those perks. How is this any different than a non suite guest paying for a pool side deck chair? Isn't that included in their fare? There have been numerous posts saying that deck chairs are always available. If that is true, then why the need to reserve them for suite guests? Obviously this can also apply to the show lounge and the beach at Labadee. I'm only focusing on the deck chairs just for the sake of the conversation.

One could argue that paying extra for a suite is just that. You are getting a suite. Real estate on a ship is a premium. A suite takes the space of 2 maybe 3 non suite staterooms with only one sea pass account compared with 2 or 3 sea pass accounts. Again, it's the non suite guests who make up a majority of the revenue for RCI. If this wasn't true, you would see a much higher percentage of suites!

The suite perks are simply a good marketing decision. If a suite "takes the space of 2 maybe 3 non suite staterooms", they have to sell it at an undiscounted (or at least minimally discounted) price in order for the suite to be profitable. They can discount the non-suite staterooms and make the money back on on-board spending but the suite holds fewer people per unit of space and so generates less on-board spending.

The perks are to get the suites sold before the last minute discounting starts and it is working. Just check the available rooms on most sailings. The suites are now selling out before the non-suite staterooms. It wasn't that way before RCI started offering the extra perks and I think they must have been losing money on the suites.

The suite perks are simply a good marketing decision. If a suite "takes the space of 2 maybe 3 non suite staterooms", they have to sell it at an undiscounted (or at least minimally discounted) price in order for the suite to be profitable. They can discount the non-suite staterooms and make the money back on on-board spending but the suite holds fewer people per unit of space and so generates less on-board spending.

The perks are to get the suites sold before the last minute discounting starts and it is working. Just check the available rooms on most sailings. The suites are now selling out before the non-suite staterooms. It wasn't that way before RCI started offering the extra perks and I think they must have been losing money on the suites.

Really :confused: The expensive cabins and the cheapest cabins have always sold first in our experience.

###

Why do you keep connecting the C&A perk changes with the new suite amenities? What´s one thing to do with the other? Or are you saying the athe new suite perks would have been ok as long as the old D perks would have remained in place? Or is it even the new suite perks would have been OK as long as given to D as well, or even give them to D only but not to suites?

Going back to suite perks.....There have been several posts here saying that suite guests pay for those perks. How is this any different than a non suite guest paying for a pool side deck chair? Isn't that included in their fare? .....

A deck chair is included in everyones fare, it was and it still is. But now in the suite fare there is included the option to have a deck chair waiting for you in a limited designated area. It´s not even the guarantee, because if they are all taken already you are out of luck. Now everybody on board still gets the chair included in their fare. Now the pool side deck chair never was a guarantee and it still isn´t, though it´s still available for those in inside cabins as well as suite guests. The only thing that changed is the chances of getting one is now slightly in favor of the high fare paying guest in the suite.

Why do you keep connecting the C&A perk changes with the new suite amenities? What´s one thing to do with the other? Or are you saying the athe new suite perks would have been ok as long as the old D perks would have remained in place? Or is it even the new suite perks would have been OK as long as given to D as well, or even give them to D only but not to suites?

A deck chair is included in everyones fare, it was and it still is. But now in the suite fare there is included the option to have a deck chair waiting for you in a limited designated area. It´s not even the guarantee, because if they are all taken already you are out of luck. Now everybody on board still gets the chair included in their fare. Now the pool side deck chair never was a guarantee and it still isn´t, though it´s still available for those in inside cabins as well as suite guests. The only thing that changed is the chances of getting one is now slightly in favor of the high fare paying guest in the suite.

That made me laugh. I had visions of the non-suite people thowing books on one set of chairs at 6:30AM and the suite folks scrambling for theirs. Oh wait, I forgot, the suite passengers can send their butlers out there to the pool deck at 6:30AM.:D

Really :confused: The expensive cabins and the cheapest cabins have always sold first in our experience.

###

Last year, I often saw senior rates, military rates and other targeted discounts being offered on suites during the 30 days prior to departure. This year, those rates are available for non-suite rooms (including the lowest price rooms) for several January, 2010 sailings but rarely for suites. Example: NOS, 16 Jan: substantial senior discounts available in most cats but not for GS. The discount is available for OS but it is only 6% in that cat. The senior discount for cat L interior is 31% today (Christmas day)! IMHO, the purpose of the perks was to sell the suites before those big discounts had to be offered and it has worked.

That made me laugh. I had visions of the non-suite people thowing books on one set of chairs at 6:30AM and the suite folks scrambling for theirs. Oh wait, I forgot, the suite passengers can send their butlers out there to the pool deck at 6:30AM.:D

Well, I wonder how many non suite guests would be willing to fork over $10 or 20$ per day to have a guaranteed chair next to the pool. This way the chair hogs get eliminated, and there is no more bitching, except by those who really do get up and sit in a chair at 7am. Can't please everyone. There is never been a problem with anyone ever being able to have a chair, the problem is 3000 of them don't fit around the pool.

At least on our last cruise, we did not have that problem. Did 22 days on the Quark Expeditions Emporers and Kings cruise. Best 75K I ever spent.

Very good point. I didn't think of it that way!

Well, I wonder how many non suite guests would be willing to fork over $10 or 20$ per day to have a guaranteed chair next to the pool. This way the chair hogs get eliminated, and there is no more bitching, except by those who really do get up and sit in a chair at 7am. Can't please everyone. There is never been a problem with anyone ever being able to have a chair, the problem is 3000 of them don't fit around the pool.

At least on our last cruise, we did not have that problem. Did 22 days on the Quark Expeditions Emporers and Kings cruise. Best 75K I ever spent.

Well, certainly not me. I can't stand it around the pool. Too many people, too much commotion, and too much noise. I'm a San Tropez deck person myself. At least that is what they call the deck on the Voyager class ships. One deck up from the sun deck and forward. Just a short walk but totally different atmosphere. Don't hear a sound from the pool deck and total peace.

Don't give RCI any ideas! I'm sure they have already thought of this though. Anything to boost the bottom line!

As far as chair hogs are concerned, they just need to enforce their own policies. We've seen them do it on some, but not on others.

Nothing has changed for me, I will do as I always have - be proactive.

If getting a "good" lounger is important to me, I get up early and get one. Most days it isn't and I sit wherever I can find one, but there have been days that it was and I did.

If getting a "good" seat at the ice show or the theater is important to me, I get there early and get one. I usually show up 20 minutes before the show, but if I don't, I sit wherever there's seating and realize the reason I didn't get a good seat was me and not the people in suites..

I suppose I could sit around and whine and lament my sad situation, not change what I do, and get lousy seats -or- I could deal with it. I prefer the latter, it seems like a lot of people here prefer the former.

Hey, you and your sense of personal responsibility need to go sail on a different line!

;)

Okay, folks, I think we're missing the really important question--does Santa visit the kids in the suites first? And what happens if there are too many D and D+ kids on the ship to fill the concierge lounge, and they have to kick the regular kids out of their normal lounge to see Santa. What happens then?

I find it more alarming that non-suite kiddies are visited by the Grinch, as Santa is a suites-only benefit.

Well, certainly not me. I can't stand it around the pool. Too many people, too much commotion, and too much noise. I'm a San Tropez deck person myself. At least that is what they call the deck on the Voyager class ships. One deck up from the sun deck and forward. Just a short walk but totally different atmosphere. Don't hear a sound from the pool deck and total peace.

I am the same way. I LOVED that deck! I spent a good 30 minutes up there nearly alone before anyone else walked by, and this was on a sea day!

I would love to see historical data on this.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that RCI is reverting to the old class system of cruising?

When I first started cruising everyone was equal and entitled to use all areas of the ship, sit wherever you could find a seat and use all of the beach areas on "private islands". The only thing you got by paying a higher price than the next person was roomier accomodations and some perks in your suite.

Now the suite passengers are getting a special section in the theater, by the pool on some ships, a special area on Labadee that used to be open to all.

Next I guess those of us who don't want to pay big bucks for a suite will be relegated to certain deck, dining rooms, etc.

I'm not sure if I really like this trend of separation.

Sorry Judy,

But try staying at a hotel for a week Judy, and see how much that costs you. ( including food, entertainment, sightseeing, etc.) Please tell us where else in the world can you stay for a whole week or longer for under a $1,000.00? Do I hear....a cruise ship?........... BINGO ! ! !

Now let's see what you get on RCL or any other cruise line for that matter: A) you get a room B) you can eat whenever and whatever you desire C) go to free shows/entertainment D) use of the pool E) use of the gym F) and you visit different ports of call. Pretty good deal if you ask us ( + 7 cruises later ) so we know a thing or 2 about cruising.

Come on now, yes it's true some can afford a suite and others like us cannot, but to equate that with a class system is being petty and jealous.

Just enjoy yourself,icon7.gif be happy icon7.gif you can afford to cruise and don't begrudge others the "little extras". What's the big deal?

Archived