Carnival Denies Future Credit Request

marshalltp

I too agree that letter was well written, but a bit long. Letters should be short, sweet, and to the point. Sorry you did not get what you asked for.

I have been known to be a little long winded.....and I do get your point......I am not saying that I will not choose Carnival again, but as most of u probably know, the vacation decision comes after alot of debate between two parties (DH and DW), and now instead of price being factor number 2 or 3, maybe it fell down the list. If another line is within maybe 10 to 15 percent than that probably becomes 'close enough'

How can you say "people" are out for all the can get ... when your husband wrote, and of course wanted compensation and got it. Why else would he be writing to Carnival unless he too wanted "all he could get". I say dont be harsh with the OP.

My point is that through these boards I was aware of an ongoing problem, and three times went to the source, Carnival, only to be told it was all fixed.....other than that I know things happen (I think my letter indicated that I can always accept a reasonable degree of chance of mechanical failure), but I did feel somewhat duped.

Reguardless of the rules and contract. The missed port was due to a Carnival equipment problem. Carnival is in the hospitality business. The letter written by the OP was very well done, and took a lot of time and effort. In my opinion a 20% discount off a future cruise is not unreasonable. Even if it had to be rewarded for everyone on the cruise who asked for it.

It cost a business seven times more to find a new customer then keep an exsisting one. I think Carnival and its customers would both do better if they worked harder on customer relations.

I like Carnival and its product. But, I do believe customer service is a week point of the entire cruise industry (not that I have tried them all).

I also believe having web sites like CruiseCritic help the customers hold the cruise lines accountable.

Has anyone else had a situation simular to this resolved more favorably to the customer from Carnival or any other cruise line?

For all who responded to the original post with an "accept and get over it" or a "some people try to grab for anything they can get," could you give an opinion on this aspect of the post...

How would you feel if the company IS sending a ship out full well knowing that it is not fully repaired and may not be able to complete the advertised itinerary and is not giving that information to passengers who inquire in advance?

That is what I see to be at the heart of the complaint. If true, the situation is definitely not comparable to bad weather, infectious disease, or unexpected breakdown.

It occurs to me that some negative posts could actually be correct!

It cost a business seven times more to find a new customer then keep an exsisting one. I think Carnival and its customers would both do better if they worked harder on customer relations.

I don't think that applies in this situation. I believe that the cruise lines' (not just Carnival) philosophy is that they only need to get you once. They are selling an experience that some people find to be incredibly special. People who cruise can back this up: when you tell friends and co-workers that haven't done their "one" cruise yet about your upcoming cruise they are green with envy. A lot of the time I think to myself, "calm down! I like cruising but it isn't that special!" That's because they have bought the "special experience hype" that the lines are selling.

Almost every cruise ship sails full. If I stop tomorrow they won't miss me one bit. They are focused on the never beens. The first timers treat it as a once in a lifetime so they spend like crazy and let the lines book everything at a huge mark-up. It's pure economics to them. The repeaters are an afterthought. "Just give em a stupid pin, a watered-down drink party or a piece of paper on their desk that says welcome back."

I know some here will take exception to this and that's fine. I'm a pretty regular cruiser and I just don't care all that much about the excitement of the experience. I know what I like all on my own now. I book my category (always corner aft) as cheap as I can. I bring my own soda and book my own tours. Heck if I owned this line I wouldn't want me as a customer.

I don't think that applies in this situation. I believe that the cruise lines' (not just Carnival) philosophy is that they only need to get you once. They are selling an experience that some people find to be incredibly special. People who cruise can back this up: when you tell friends and co-workers that haven't done their "one" cruise yet about your upcoming cruise they are green with envy. A lot of the time I think to myself, "calm down! I like cruising but it isn't that special!" That's because they have bought the "special experience hype" that the lines are selling.

Almost every cruise ship sails full. If I stop tomorrow they won't miss me one bit. They are focused on the never beens. The first timers treat it as a once in a lifetime so they spend like crazy and let the lines book everything at a huge mark-up. It's pure economics to them. The repeaters are an afterthought. "Just give em a stupid pin, a watered-down drink party or a piece of paper on their desk that says welcome back."

I know some here will take exception to this and that's fine. I'm a pretty regular cruiser and I just don't care all that much about the excitement of the experience. I know what I like all on my own now. I book my category (always corner aft) as cheap as I can. I bring my own soda and book my own tours. Heck if I owned this line I wouldn't want me as a customer.

100% right with one caveat....eventually if a line doesn't value its repeat business, they will have enough like I that may not be back.....I book a high category balcony or JS well in advance at the best price I can get, probably spend less than average on board and usually plan my own port activities.....but a ship needs us as it can not stay afloat selling all of its cabins at a $200 pack and go rate

100% right with one caveat....eventually if a line doesn't value its repeat business, they will have enough like I that may not be back.....I book a high category balcony or JS well in advance at the best price I can get, probably spend less than average on board and usually plan my own port activities.....but a ship needs us as it can not stay afloat selling all of its cabins at a $200 pack and go rate

My impression with Carnival and lack of service and pissing off customers about stuff they know will piss them off .... they consider all their customers expendable, make little effort regarind repeat business and figure there is a newbie who wouldnt be so critical to replace us.

But what would it take for you to say you wouldn't be back? I think the regulars (once again not just on Carnival) have figured out how to make a cruise their own experience. Not the cruise lines' prescribed experience. I rarely see people with more than two or three cruises under their belt come on here and say, "I'm done with this cruise line!" It's normally the first-timers or the faux-experienced posters that say they have been cruising for years but don't really have anything to back it up.

You can sell a $200 inside to a first-timer and you will likely get it back on the back-end.

Remember I'm no marketing expert, but I play one on the internet. :D;)

But what would it take for you to say you wouldn't be back? I think the regulars (once again not just on Carnival) have figured out how to make a cruise their own experience. Not the cruise lines' prescribed experience. I rarely see people with more than two or three cruises under their belt come on here and say, "I'm done with this cruise line!" It's normally the first-timers or the faux-experienced posters that say they have been cruising for years but don't really have anything to back it up.

You can sell a $200 inside to a first-timer and you will likely get it back on the back-end.

Remember I'm no marketing expert, but I play one on the internet. :D;)

I would probably not book on the Destiny again until after its next drydock, although it was a decent ship. If the competitor line was say, 15% more for same itinerary and similar cabin, I think that given Carnivals lack of interest in retaining me, I would go back to the other line.

Reguardless of the rules and contract. The missed port was due to a Carnival equipment problem. Carnival is in the hospitality business. The letter written by the OP was very well done, and took a lot of time and effort. In my opinion a 20% discount off a future cruise is not unreasonable. Even if it had to be rewarded for everyone on the cruise who asked for it.

I like Carnival and its product. But, I do believe customer service is a week point of the entire cruise industry (not that I have tried them all).

I also believe having web sites like CruiseCritic help the customers hold the cruise lines accountable.

Has anyone else had a situation simular to this resolved more favorably to the customer from Carnival or any other cruise line?

Frankly, the Destiny will, no doubt, permanently fix the problem when it goes into drydock; it's obviously a problem that cannot be remedied at sea....even though there may have been attempts to do so.

This isn't a customer service issue - and these sorts of things are covered in the contract to which we all agree when we book the cruise....period.

If we don't like the terms and conditions or the passenger ticket contract, then we don't have to reserve with them....... If we choose to book anyway, then there is no "issue" if something goes wrong.

I do understand your frustration And I do like the fact you asked for certain compensation I dont like that it was denied

But that is how Carnival cutomer service has evolved with concerns to customer complaints ever since Bob retired

Arneson is about bottom line Where we used to get a bottle of champagne or drink coupons or some type of minimal compensation for their errors

At least it came with an aknowledgment of their failure and wanting to keep us as loyal Carnival cruisers from Bob's office(OK his secretary typed it and he signed it)

Since Carnival has neglected that side of the business we tried RCCL we liked so much that we are doing another RCCL cruise 6 weeks later

While I have booked the Miracle in November I am lookin at other cruises and I might change my mind

In the past I would have never thought about changingsmiley3302.gif

Like some of the level headed people who have sailed ccl and other lines have been saying ccl customer service has went down and i personaly know at least 14 past ccl guests who are not happy with customer service when a problem does come up. It is not like the cruises are all bad but if you do have a problem they act like its never thier problem wake up they do have problems just like putting duct tape on a repair instead of fixing the problem you can only do this for so long. I enjoyed almost everthing about my first 10 or so cruises on ccl but onthe last 3 or 4 the customer service went down hill, not just my opinon.:mad:

Frankly' date=' the Destiny will, no doubt, permanently fix the problem when it goes into drydock; it's obviously a problem that cannot be remedied at sea....even though there may have been attempts to do so.

This isn't a customer service issue - and these sorts of things are covered in the contract to which we all agree when we book the cruise....period.

If we don't like the terms and conditions or the passenger ticket contract, then we don't have to reserve with them....... If we choose to book anyway, then there is no "issue" if something goes wrong.[/quote']

Using wording in a contract to justify dishonesty is wrong not matter how you write it.....

I sent the following letter to Carnival following our problems aboard the Destiny on Nov 16-21/09:

Lynn C Torrent

VP Sales and Guest Services, Carnival Corporation

3655 NW 87th Avenue,

Miami, FL 33178

RE: Carnival Destiny Nov 16/-21/2009, Past Guest #********

Dear Lynn:

I hope that you are able to assist me with the following issue. My family and I (myself, wife and 4 year old son) sailed on the Destiny on Nov 16 to 21/09 from the Port of Miami. As I am sure you are aware the ship fell victim once again to the recurring propulsion system problems that most recently surfaced on Sept 19/2009.

Let me briefly help you identify my profile. I have now had the opportunity to enjoy seven cruises, the first five with a competing line, RCCL, and the last two with Carnival. We sailed on the Spirit about two years ago, from Honolulu, HI to Ensenada, Mexico. I can tell you that that cruise turned me into a vocal Carnival cheerleader and I took every opportunity to advise friends and family, as well as CruiseCritic.com members, to book that itinerary on the Spirit. The ship, itinerary, and service were beyond my expectations. Based on our experience on the Spirit we decided to book our first cruise with our son on the Destiny. Of course, our experience on the Destiny turned out to be somewhat different.

I am in the business of providing limousine transportation services to discerning customers, and am well aware that events occur, i.e mechanical failure, that may impact my ability to perform at the level which our customers have become accustomed. I can honestly tell you that having been to Nassau four times previously (and now five and six), that I was looking forward to going to Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk, both destinations that I had not previously visited. I kept current on the issues that Destiny was having since September, both by following the board postings at CruiseCritic.com and more importantly having called Carnival directly three times prior to my cruise to check on the status of the ships mechanical condition. Each time, I was told that the permanent and proper repair had taken place, that it did not require dry docking and that the ship was operating normally.

It was much to my surprise to find out once aboard the ship from two separate crew members that the problem had continued in varying degrees. Of course, I have no idea if the crew members I spoke with, although higher ranking, were privy to the engineering information that they would need to make that determination.

I am well aware that Carnival as a company is anxious to affect the repair of this ship in a most timely manner as possible. I am further of the opinion that certain decisions in the interest of profitability must be made and that canceling a cruise of any length during a busy sailing season would have serious consequences.

I completely understand that Captain Paulo had no other option to cancel Grand Turk as it would have been impossible to cover the distance and still make it back to POM in time for debarkation. Upon arriving back at Nassau, for our second visit in three days we didn’t even disembark the ship because we felt that the time in port, effectively 8:30 AM until Noon, was not enough time to do anything significant. My issue is not with the response to the problem that occurred. The officers and crew made every effort to ensure that passengers remained safe, somewhat timely, and enjoyed the cruise. Half Moon Cay was fantastic and we enjoyed renting our cabana there.

My issue is that it seems that Carnival put in place a policy to systematically deny the existence of any problems to those who would inquire, myself included. Had I known in advance that there was a better than normal chance of mechanical issues with the Destiny, I most certainly would have switched to another ship. Further, I found that given what had been offered to previous passengers aboard the ill-fated cruises in September (20% future cruise discount), the $20 per passenger port tax refund onboard credit alone was unacceptable.

I do not contest that Carnival met the strictest definition of the obligations under the Contract of Carriage. However, in the interest of garnering continued patronage, I would hope that your company would go the extra mile to ‘Exceed’ our expectations. I’m relatively easy. My wife on the other hand will take quite a bit more convincing to book future trips with Carnival, citing her experience on Destiny as reason to choose land based vacations or perhaps go back to the line that we had previously used. I am asking you to consider extending to us the same 20% future cruise credit that some other passengers had been extended.

Thank you for your time in consideration of this matter and please help me cruise with Carnival again.

I got a response yesterday equating the Destiny problems to getting a flat tire, beyond their contol and that no further compensation would be forthcoming.....

Another person wanting something for nothing.....Read the contract. They are not obligated to give you anything.........

Frankly' date=' the Destiny will, no doubt, permanently fix the problem when it goes into drydock; it's obviously a problem that cannot be remedied at sea....even though there may have been attempts to do so.

If we don't like the terms and conditions or the passenger ticket contract, then we don't have to reserve with them....... If we choose to book anyway, then there is no "issue" if something goes wrong.[/quote']

Repairing the ship is not a customer service issue. When the customer's experience is effected by the need to repair the ship, making the customer whole is a customer service issue.

The contract should not have to refereed to for most customer service issues. Anything that serious would be a legal issue.

I understand Carnival does not have to do anything. My point was that in my opinion the Cruise Lines would provide a better product and do a better business if they provided better customer service when something that is there reasonability falls short. My personal experience with most other businesses in the hospitality business follow that model (restaurants and hotels).

Overall I love taking cruises and I enjoy Carnival. But I do so with the anticipation that if I do have a complaint it probably won’t be listen to.

My point is that through these boards I was aware of an ongoing problem, and three times went to the source, Carnival, only to be told it was all fixed.....other than that I know things happen (I think my letter indicated that I can always accept a reasonable degree of chance of mechanical failure), but I did feel somewhat duped.

If you were aware of the on-going problems and you went anyways.....what's your problem?

You made an informed decision....Get over it!

If you were aware of the on-going problems and you went anyways.....what's your problem?

Many people called after the initial failure in September. We were told everything had been fixed. So, believing that Carnival would be honest with us... there was no on-going problem. The on-going part began when the propulsion system failed for the second time on the 11/16 sailing. So, no one was allowed to make an informed decision, because Carnival did not inform us of the problem. Carnival chose to do a temporary fix and hope it would not happen again.

You obviously have trouble with written comprehension. First I am over it. Second, as noted in my original letter, I conceded that they did not 'owe' me anything by the strictest definition of the contract of carriage. And third, when there were problems with the ship shortly before our cruise, I did my due diligence and was informed, not once, not twice, but three times that the proper repair of the propulsion system had been affected.

I am not suggesting any legal action, as I have no tangible loss to restore whole. I was simply hoping that Carnival would exemplify their 'exceeding expectations' mantra, and afford me a better opportunity to consider them again in the future. I have had one great experience with Carnival and now one not so great. Better than an always satisfied customer, is one whose expectations were not exceeded and then properly addressed to the satisfaction of both parties.

Flame away if you wish

Many people called after the initial failure in September. We were told everything had been fixed. So, believing that Carnival would be honest with us... there was no on-going problem. The on-going part began when the propulsion system failed for the second time on the 11/16 sailing. So, no one was allowed to make an informed decision, because Carnival did not inform us of the problem. Carnival chose to do a temporary fix and hope it would not happen again.

So you called the toll free number and expected a office bound person to know all about every ship and the state of its maintenance?? I think it was your expectations of what the people on the phones would know that was at fault too.

If Carnival had not issued a statement then the phone people wouldnt be aware of mechanical problems.

What:confused: So if the passenger was aware of the problem......do you think Carnival was aware:confused: Good lord! Where do some of you people come from:confused::p:D

So you called the toll free number and expected a office bound person to know all about every ship and the state of its maintenance?? I think it was your expectations of what the people on the phones would know that was at fault too.

If Carnival had not issued a statement then the phone people wouldnt be aware of mechanical problems.

I think it is a reasonable expectation to call a company like Carnival and expect them to have answers to these questions- at the very least, a "Let me check and call you back" ....

This all goes back to the many complaints we hear that Carnival is lacking in customer service and communication:)

I think it is a reasonable expectation to call a company like Carnival and expect them to have answers to these questions- at the very least, a "Let me check and call you back" ....

This all goes back to the many complaints we hear that Carnival is lacking in customer service and communication:)

My expectations for Carnival in this regard are very low, since my experience during the Ike cruise. I now have zero expectations that they care about keeping my business. Im expendable and they dont care about customer service. The problem here is people still think Carnival cares abourt their business. I think all Carnival cares about is the bottom line.

the difference is expectations. I have none now from Carnival.

My expectations for Carnival in this regard are very low, since my experience during the Ike cruise. I now have zero expectations that they care about keeping my business. Im expendable and they dont care about customer service. The problem here is people still think Carnival cares abourt their business. I think all Carnival cares about is the bottom line.

the difference is expectations. I have none now from Carnival.

Agreed.. and I am sure now that the OP has this experience he feels the same way as you.. Lesson Learned!;):)

I sent the following letter to Carnival following our problems aboard the Destiny on Nov 16-21/09:

I got a response yesterday equating the Destiny problems to getting a flat tire, beyond their contol and that no further compensation would be forthcoming.....

Personally, I wouldn't give you anything either if it were my business. You paid for and received a seven day cruise.

Your letter was long and droll. Perhaps if you just zeroed in on your issue, in three lines, someone sympathetic might have responded different.

Move on.

Personally, I wouldn't give you anything either if it were my business. You paid for and received a seven day cruise.

Your letter was long and droll. Perhaps if you just zeroed in on your issue, in three lines, someone sympathetic might have responded different.

Move on.

How long or droll a person's letter to Carnival is, shouldnt determine if they get future credit or not.

Archived