Difference between Cat. VD and VF

Ricky Chan

Has anyone stayed in Cat. VC cabin or/and Cat. VF cabin on Verandah Deck of Eurodam before?

Looking at it's deck plan. The balcony of VC cabin in smaller than VF, yet it is more expensive.

How to explain? :(

Ricky

It should be "VC" on title line, I wasn't able to change it

There are VF cabins on both Upper Promenade and Verandah decks. The ones on Upper Prom are deeper, but they also have solid steel sides, instead of the Plexiglas (see through) ones.

On the Vista ships, the VF's on Verandah deck are shallower than VC's . Not so, as you note, aboard Eurodam. However, you'll still be looking out over the tops of the tenders/life boats, and most people figure that's less desirable than being able to look straight down at the water as you can with a VC.

I like the VD category best. Deepest balconies (except for the stern VA's).

There are VF cabins on both Upper Promenade and Verandah decks. The ones on Upper Prom are deeper, but they also have solid steel sides, instead of the Plexiglas (see through) ones.

On the Vista ships, the VF's on Verandah deck are shallower than VC's . Not so, as you note, aboard Eurodam. However, you'll still be looking out over the tops of the tenders/life boats, and most people figure that's less desirable than being able to look straight down at the water as you can with a VC.

I like the VD category best. Deepest balconies (except for the stern VA's).

Patricia:

Thanks for your input.

Are you saying balcony of Cat. VD on upper promenade deck is deeper than that VF? Price for VD is $170.91 more than VF on the same deck.

Should I pay a little bit more and choose VD cabin on upper promenade deck? I am torn choosing between these two cat. :confused:

Also we were upgraded to Cat VB on upper verandah deck on our up coming cruise. Looking at the deck plan, the balcony is small and not sure it uses plexiglas or solid steel divider.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Ricky

We just returned from the Eurodam last week, and had VD 4141 on the Upper Promenade. We were happy with this location,and would select it again.

Our balcony was spacious, and had a plexi-glass front. If you carefully study the deck plans, and note the symbols, it is easy to figure out which ones have a steel front.

I am about 5'3,and the top of the balcony railing was chest high for me, so I could have seen nothing while seated if it had been steel. In my opinion, the plexi-glass is worth the extra $, if you plan to spend any time on your balcony. If you don't, then why get one?.

As far as the size of the balcony in one location vs another, unless it is a suite or the rare odd location, a difference of a foot or two is not worth agonizing about, since all the balconies are comfortable. I think the more important choice is the location of your room on the ship, to avoid motion, vibration, and noise.

Ricky, standard balconies for verandah cabins are 9 feet wide and 6 feet deep. VD balconies (Upper Promenade deck, a handful forward, most of them aft) are 9 feet wide and 7.5 feet deep.

Balcony of VD 4166 is also 7.5 feet deep, but has a double width (18 feet) because of a crew stairway. So does 4168, but that cabin has a shower only, no tub.

I prefer these VD cabins because I don't buy into the "higher is better/an upgrade" mentality of the cruise lines. Lower is more stable, less motion. So, if I was booking a Verandah category, I'd pick a VD.

I just returned for the Eurodam 2 weeks ago and we had a VC category 5154 and loved it! Personally, I would definitely choose the VC again over the VD. Even though the balconies on the VD are larger than the VC, I don't think there is as much privacy and the little extra space isn't needed. If I wanted to, I could have stood at the rail of our balcony and looked down at the VD balconies and see the people standing at the railing of their balconies. Maybe this doesn't bother some, but I wouldn't want people looking at me while at the rail of my balcony, just my opinion. Everyone's opinion is different-

We just returned from the Eurodam last week, and had VD 4141 on the Upper Promenade. We were happy with this location,and would select it again.

Our balcony was spacious, and had a plexi-glass front. If you carefully study the deck plans, and note the symbols, it is easy to figure out which ones have a steel front.

I am about 5'3,and the top of the balcony railing was chest high for me, so I could have seen nothing while seated if it had been steel. In my opinion, the plexi-glass is worth the extra $, if you plan to spend any time on your balcony. If you don't, then why get one?.

As far as the size of the balcony in one location vs another, unless it is a suite or the rare odd location, a difference of a foot or two is not worth agonizing about, since all the balconies are comfortable. I think the more important choice is the location of your room on the ship, to avoid motion, vibration, and noise.

SusieKay:

Thanks for your input as well.

You and Patricia both recommended Cat. VD. I will accept your recommondation.

Ricky

Ricky, standard balconies for verandah cabins are 9 feet wide and 6 feet deep. VD balconies (Upper Promenade deck, a handful forward, most of them aft) are 9 feet wide and 7.5 feet deep.

Balcony of VD 4166 is also 7.5 feet deep, but has a double width (18 feet) because of a crew stairway. So does 4168, but that cabin has a shower only, no tub.

I prefer these VD cabins because I don't buy into the "higher is better/an upgrade" mentality of the cruise lines. Lower is more stable, less motion. So, if I was booking a Verandah category, I'd pick a VD.

Patricia:

I didn't make myself clear in my last post. I found out we were upgraded to Cat. VB when I made the final payment. I originally booked a Cat. VF cabin.

We didn't pay any extra for the upgrade. I was just wondering by looking at the deck plan, the size of the balcony of Cat. VB on upper verandah deck (we were assigned cabin VB 6110 on Oosterdam)) looks very small yet it is more expensive.

I will accept your and SusieKay's recommendation and book Cat. VD 4166 on Eurodam if it is still available when we are on the ship.

Thanks again.

Ricky

I just returned for the Eurodam 2 weeks ago and we had a VC category 5154 and loved it! Personally, I would definitely choose the VC again over the VD. Even though the balconies on the VD are larger than the VC, I don't think there is as much privacy and the little extra space isn't needed. If I wanted to, I could have stood at the rail of our balcony and looked down at the VD balconies and see the people standing at the railing of their balconies. Maybe this doesn't bother some, but I wouldn't want people looking at me while at the rail of my balcony, just my opinion. Everyone's opinion is different-

When you look down from any balcony you can see any people standing at any railings of balconies below you. :)

SusieKay:

Thanks for your input as well.

You and Patricia both recommended Cat. VD. I will accept your recommondation.

Ricky

We had VD 4043 on the Zuiderdam in 2008, booked the same cabin on the Eurodam this year as well as for next February. I guess we like it. ;)

Patricia:

I didn't make myself clear in my last post. I found out we were upgraded to Cat. VB when I made the final payment. I originally booked a Cat. VF cabin.

We didn't pay any extra for the upgrade. I was just wondering by looking at the deck plan, the size of the balcony of Cat. VB on upper verandah deck (we were assigned cabin VB 6110 on Oosterdam)) looks very small yet it is more expensive.

I will accept your and SusieKay's recommendation and book Cat. VD 4166 on Eurodam if it is still available when we are on the ship.

Thanks again.

Ricky

Ricky, Some photos and descriptions of the staterooms and verandahs on Deck 4 and 5 of Eurodam for you:

VD 4043 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 4 Upper Promenade Deck

VD 4141 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 4 Upper Promenade Deck

VC 5046 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

VC 5049 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/index.html

And a view from some of her sister ship Westerdam (should be extremely similar to Eurodam)

VC 5013 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html

And another sister Ship Zuiderdam

VC 5043 Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

VC 5157 Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

I need to add that if you are on a verandah you can look into/onto the verandahs from all other surrounding verandahs. Take a look at my Oosterdam photos at: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html and you will see what I mean.

Joanie

Ricky, Some photos and descriptions of the staterooms and verandahs on Deck 4 and 5 of Eurodam for you:

VD 4043 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 4 Upper Promenade Deck

VD 4141 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 4 Upper Promenade Deck

VC 5046 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

VC 5049 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/index.html

And a view from some of her sister ship Westerdam (should be extremely similar to Eurodam)

VC 5013 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html

And another sister Ship Zuiderdam

VC 5043 Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

VC 5157 Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom Deck 5 Verandah Deck

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

I need to add that if you are on a verandah you can look into/onto the verandahs from all other verandahs. Take a look at my Oosterdam photos at: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html and you will see what I mean.

Joanie

Joanie:

Wow, you got tons of information. Thanks a million.

Ricky

Archived