Dawn back from the dead.

NJGeorge

My wife and I cruised on the December 4th 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise.

This is our second cruise on the Dawn and our seventh overall.

This was the first cruise since the ill fated power outage cruise and subsequent cancelling of the five day after it.

We flew to Miami from Newark NJ on the same day and were in our mini suite by 11:00 AM.

Except for our room steward, the service, food and overall cruise experience was very good.

First thing I noticed was no bar set-up as previously ordered. A call to guest services was sort of puzzling.

They indeed had a record of the set-up but would not be able to bring it until after turndown service?

I asked that it be brought up in hour…and it was.

Ice on the other hand was a rare and elusive item. I paid $186.00 for two bottles of Glenn Fiddich before the cruise, and damn it I want ice. Tipping the room steward and mentioning I want ice was not effective on this cruise as it has been on others. Had to order it from room service and tip that guy.

He took our beach towels and did not replace them. My wife sees him in the hall asks him for 2 towels. He swears they are there and will not give her any towels until he searches our cabin? Good thing I was not there at the time is all I can say.

The ship itself was pretty clean but our cabin 11662 was in need of some repair. The balcony rail was void of any varnish. Splinters were a problem when taking photos or just resting on it. There was also considerable rust on the balcony. The balconies to our left and right were maintained much better.

We attended the C.C. meet and greet on Saturday and it was well attended. I just could not meet everyone I wanted to, but did make quite a few acquaintances.

The ship made ports of call in Samana, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

It was our fist time to St. Lucia and St. Kitts, and these two ports were the highlight for us.

Serenity Tours in St. Lucia was as good as it gets. Russell and his wife were our tour guides and are the nicest, knowledgeable and sincere people I have met in quite some time.

In St Kitts we toured with the Thenford Grey Company, our guide was “York”. Low key and spoke with a kinda monotone voice, he was however a great driver and a wealth of knowledge about St. Kitts.

And to that couple from Florida that took the tour with us without so much as a camera…what are you thinking.

York arranged to have them taken back to the ship when they balked about spending a couple of hours at the Cockleshell beach. They should have stayed on the ship and saved their money.

A CC member Tim arranged a beach day in Playa Rincon in Samana for about 20 or 30 CC.ers.

A great day, well organized and reasonable as well.

Tortola: Speedy’s ferry to Virgin Gorda and the Baths.

When the ship excursions cleared out about 12 PM it was a lot better!

Antigua: Ely’s Eco tour on a nice large Catamaran for 20 people. It included swimming, snorkeling, lunch, Devils Gate and really kick a** rum punch. Right Judy from Idaho…lol

Food all over the ship was good to very good. Stay away from the Flatiron steak in the MDR.

I did notice a fair amount of the food that was served was lukewarm or cold…but it was tasty.

I’m partial to Impressions the Italian restaurant and the two for one deal made it $5.00 per head, cheaper then one glass of wine! Stay way from the Panna Cotta for desert though, bad texture and tasteless.

Cagney’s was just ok. I think I’m spoiled by the steak houses in the NYC area

Since we had an early flight from Miami we opted for the self disembark. Long line but it moved fast and we made our 10 AM flight only to sit on the runway for about an hour. The weather in Newark was bad, and it was 35 degrees and heavy rain when we finally landed.

Questions and comments can be directed to: meadowbrookowners@yahoo.com

splintercity.jpg.1bb5da9c2b32d76e97d39810c8ea6a10.jpg

Well thank you. I see your one of the NCL cheerleaders here and that compliment means something to me. In all honestly except for that ice problem (that really ticked me off) this was our best cruise to date.

The weather was just as good as it gets, and the level of service was almost perfect.

Be careful how you use the cheerleader term. Some take it as a negative title while other might take it as a compliment. Me, I don't care one way or the other. I consider myself a well informed NCL supporter that will point out the warts also. :cool:

Not having ice for my Glenfiddich (very favorite scotch) would make me very irritable also. I keep hearing complaints about inefficient room stewards and count my blessing that we have only had one in 29 cruises, and that was on RCI. We saw our room steward in the hall when we needed something and were told quite bluntly that she was off duty and on her way to the break area. All we need was some ice.

PE

Our steward made it very clear what his hours were and to call guest services or room service in his absence, which was like 20 hours out of a 24 hour day.

I always call a spade a spade, and the term "cheerleader" would be a compliment to me.

Glad to see you are indifferent:)

Our starboard mini-suite in November was not much better.

The state of the balcony rails apparently has something to do with the fact that they are changing over from varnishing all the rails (which entails taking them down and returning after they have dried) to oiling them (which can be done in situ).

Our starboard mini-suite in November was not much better.

The state of the balcony rails apparently has something to do with the fact that they are changing over from varnishing all the rails (which entails taking them down and returning after they have dried) to oiling them (which can be done in situ).

That makes a load of sense. Wipe it down with oil and it is out of bounds for maybe an hour while the oil soaks in. As compared to almost a day for sanding, varnish and drying.

PE

Glad you enjoyed the Dawn. I was on an inside cabin last May and I LOVED the ship. I was impressed by the food, but I thought Cagneys was HORRIBLE. Will cruise NCL again, but NEVER will eat at Cagneys - was disugsting.

Glad you enjoyed the Dawn. I was on an inside cabin last May and I LOVED the ship. I was impressed by the food, but I thought Cagneys was HORRIBLE. Will cruise NCL again, but NEVER will eat at Cagneys - was disugsting.

What exactly was HORRIBLE and disgusting about Cagney's? I have always found the food to be quite good in Cagney's albeit way too much of it and a little overpriced.

PE

Archived