Maybe formal nights are coming back

cruzincurt

Interesting article in today's paper about that the 20 somethings are starting to dress up. The latest trend is to appear "dapper". The suit and tie business is picking up. The author claims the "clothes gene" missing from the last generation of 40-30 somethings may have come back in the new generation of young people.:) The use of jeans and grunge for all occasions is on the way out among these young people.

Let's hope not.

Airline luggage fees are bad enough now without having to pack formal gear just to please someone else's ego.

Guess we all pack differently. I love formal nights:) and pack formalwear

and it never costs me more money. As for pleasing someone

else's ego? I dress for myself:D

Let's hope not.

Airline luggage fees are bad enough now without having to pack formal gear just to please someone else's ego.

Has nothing to do with someone else's ego. It's nice to see that the youngins' are embracing a "new" trend of looking nice.:)

Besides, the jeans that so many prefer to wear are just as heavy, or even heavier, than some formal wear.;)

Here's a link to a similar story about clothing trends.

http://www.mysuitshop.com/customtailor/Preening_Returns_To_Form_And_Thats_Just_Dandy.htm

My BIL works for Sargent and Lundy in Chicago and he has noticed that all the new young hires are dressing VERY well. DH is in a profession that a suit and tie is required so has worn one every working day but, unlike the ones who say they dress everyday so don't want to on vacation, would wear a tux on formal nights.:) He dresses like a slob at home on weekends.:D

Guess we all pack differently. I love formal nights:) and pack formalwear

and it never costs me more money. As for pleasing someone

else's ego? I dress for myself:D

It can be done. I agree. I took mostly dresses to France, and my checked bag weighed under 30 pounds returning, and it was full of souvenirs. If gals leave home the sequined gown, they will have no problem. Plenty of no wrinkle poly satin gowns on the market that weigh almost nothing.

Men can board a plane with a sport coat on their arm. A pair of dress slacks takes of no more room than a pair of dockers in their luggage. Ties weigh nothing and take up very little room in a suitcase.

Has nothing to do with someone else's ego. It's nice to see that the youngins' are embracing a "new" trend of looking nice.:)

Besides, the jeans that so many prefer to wear are just as heavy, or even heavier, than some formal wear.;)

So true. If you are packing light, you would do better to leave home the jeans. I always hate how they take forever to dry-on laundry day.

Interesting article in today's paper about that the 20 somethings are starting to dress up..

What newspaper please?:confused: I'd really like to find the specific article.

All I need is the name of the paper, and I can find it.

Thanks.:)

For those who know me, I've been saying this for the past two years on this board. The younger generation, has been taking to wearing ties and jackets far more than the previous ones.

Ties are worn more not only for dressing up, but daily on a casual basis.

Jackets are being worn more daily as well.

The 50s and 60s had men dressing in suits on a daily basis, so the adults of the 60s through the 80s rebelled against that standard.

They are the ones who are mostly fighting against the formal nights on cruiselines.

The younger generations though, don't have that emotional baggage.

So dressing up is more for fun and style.

I can't tell you how many young men were carrying on suits or designer sport coats in cleaner bags onto my last Carnival cruise from LA.

It seemed like the entire embarkation line was filled with guys carrying their suits on (hysterical, because I heard more of them saying "Watch the suit!" "Don't smash my jacket!", etc. in the terminal).

You should see some of the young guys at the clubs and restaurants in Vegas lately - they are dressed to impress!

On a weekend in Vegas, it seems that the majority of people you see in t-shirts, jeans, or capris are the older generation.

The young ones are in suits and cocktail dresses!:cool:

So...

You're one of the older generation with emotional baggage tied to the meaning of suits and ties.;)

On the other hand, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "trying to be something they're not" or whatever Reagan era youth were about...

It's totally their own thing, they created, and styled into their own generational thing.

So, they are being exactly something they are, and re-created in their own way and own image.

It's called Street Style, and is just creative self expression.

There's nothing "excess" about it. They don't have to cost that much to be cool.

But, I guess you've got previous "baggage" (from the 80s?) connected to whatever it meant in your day, so you aren't going to get it anyway.

That's okay though, to each generation their own...

And yes, it's going to last for a whole new generation, so it will last at least that long.:cool:

Goodness knows when I'm wearing a pretty formal dress, I'm certainly something I'm not. I'm really a 58-year-old dock walloper named Larry who weighs 318 pounds, but put me in a dress and you'd think I was a relatively petite 35-year-old woman. Spanx are just great, aren't they?

Goodness knows when I'm wearing a pretty formal dress, I'm certainly something I'm not. I'm really a 58-year-old dock walloper named Larry who weighs 318 pounds, but put me in a dress and you'd think I was a relatively petite 35-year-old woman. Spanx are just great, aren't they?

Me too! Of course, I also kind've squint my eyes when I look into the mirror to get that effect! Imagination is a good thing!

BTW-I pulled out my formal stuff and tried everything on, picked out my jewelry for the formal wear- getting things ready-my cruise is in 10 days!

Oh my goodness....trying to be something they are not just because they dress nicely???

There have been certain conventions of dress for decades, i.e. nice clothes....oh lord, heaven forbid even formal, for certain occassions. I guess this means that people for generations have been trying to be something they are not.

The article I was referring to was in the Sunday December 20th edition of the St. Petersburg Times in the Floridian section.

Title is "Resurgence of the Dapper man" written by David Colman of the New York Times.

I have young architect interns showing up for work wearing ties. And our interior designer ladies are dressed to kill. Very nice when we go to visit a client.

Here's a link http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/fashion/17CODES.html?_r=1

"The older generation, say 45-plus, look upon success as being able to dress down,” said Marshal Cohen, the chief analyst at NPD Group, which tracks retail sales. “They think being able to wear jeans is the epitome of achievement."

Oh my goodness....trying to be something they are not just because they dress nicely???

There have been certain conventions of dress for decades, i.e. nice clothes....oh lord, heaven forbid even formal, for certain occassions. I guess this means that people for generations have been trying to be something they are not.

Since I have never paid over $200 for a formal gown or cocktail dress in my life, I don't think I am trying to be something I am not. I am sure people can look at me and still see I am a middle class American-LOL! just as I knew this woman who turned out to be a surgeon's wife had more money than we did, by her gown. I do not think either of us were being something we were not-LOL!

I wonder if he thinks dressing nicely for a job interview, or wearing a tux to his wedding, or wearing a suit to his grandmother's funeral is being something he is not?

Since I have never paid over $200 for a formal gown or cocktail dress in my life, I don't think I am trying to be something I am not. I am sure people can look at me and still see I am a middle class American-LOL! just as I knew this woman who turned out to be a surgeon's wife had more money than we did, by her gown. I do not think either of us were being something we were not-LOL!

That statement drives me up a wall! I really don't care if someone else prefers not to go formal, just knock off the snide comments about those that do.

I wonder if he thinks dressing nicely for a job interview, or wearing a tux to his wedding, or wearing a suit to his grandmother's funeral is being something he is not?

There's a time and a place for certain types of clothing and some will never get it.:rolleyes:

That statement drives me up a wall! I really don't care if someone else prefers not to go formal, just knock off the snide comments about those that do.

There's a time and a place for certain types of clothing and some will never get it.:rolleyes:

Don't let that statement drive you up a wall. Often, people who make such statements have a lack of self esteem. They feel they don't "clean up well" and look "phony." It is a shame- how will they ever feel comfortable doing job interviews and be able to present themselves in the best light possible?

Maybe we just need a new rule. No dressing at any time like anything you're not. For example--nurses, you MUST wear nurse uniforms/scrubs at all times. Priests and clergy, collar and vestments are mandatory, even in pajamas. Vegas showgirls must wear skimpy sequined leotards and headdresses.

See how much confusion we'd avoid? :D

Archived