Last Minute Questions on the Radiance before Cruise

Sailfish

With all the plumbing issues Radiance has been dealing with lately, I am getting ready to cruise on January 2nd, and I am somewhat disappointed that things have not improved. At least, that's my take on this. Any more news?

For better or for worse, my tours are all booked and my dinner reservations at Chops and Portofino is confirmed. All I have left to do is pack and drive down to the port. So, I was wondering...those of you recently off the ship, do you have any recommendations or tips? What about food recommendations, special drinks, shows, etc?

Finally, we are going to do a tour on our own in Mazanillo - anyone know if the ship and local time in port are the same? I heard there is a time change, but was wondering what the time difference is in Manzanillo.

Thanks.

Suzi

The ship changes times twice going and twice coming home. You will be the same time as your ports. We did a private tour in Manzanillo. Not worth it. Take the ships tour to Colima. Passengers came back raving about it. All we did on our private tour is first dropped off downtown. Reminded me of tijuana.

Then drove us around, then to a beach area and lunch stop. Really dirty looking beach , in fact the sand looked like dirt. We were driven to nice areas to take photos and that was that. leave town and go to Colima. It is a long bus ride. Don't do this with a private company, not worth the risk of missing the ship.

The ship changes times twice going and twice coming home. You will be the same time as your ports. We did a private tour in Manzanillo. Not worth it. Take the ships tour to Colima. Passengers came back raving about it. All we did on our private tour is first dropped off downtown. Reminded me of tijuana.

Then drove us around, then to a beach area and lunch stop. Really dirty looking beach , in fact the sand looked like dirt. We were driven to nice areas to take photos and that was that. leave town and go to Colima. It is a long bus ride. Don't do this with a private company, not worth the risk of missing the ship.

We're going scuba diving. I made arrangements to go it on our own, so I am confident we'll be okay; the dive shop owner is picking us up. Thanks for input on the time - I was wondering how that worked. I know they moved the clocks forward after leaving San Diego, but didn't realize they moved them again.

Thanks for your input.

Suzi

SAILFISH....Please post a review when you get back. We're sailing the Radiance in March. Loved her sister ships, JEWEL and BRILLIANCE, and hope RADIANCE will be just as impressive. Hope you don't have any plumbing issues, and I hope you have a GREAT cruise!!:D

Karen

SAILFISH....Please post a review when you get back. We're sailing the Radiance in March. Loved her sister ships, JEWEL and BRILLIANCE, and hope RADIANCE will be just as impressive. Hope you don't have any plumbing issues, and I hope you have a GREAT cruise!!:D

Karen

Thanks, Karen! I'll be sure to drop back by and leave some feedback on our cruise vacation. I am beginning to look forward to our vacation, but all this talk about the plumbing problems has me not nearly as excited as I usually get before a cruise. I hope that changes - suitcases are on the bed and I am ready to start packing!

We booked a few tours through the cruise line this year - a first for us. I am so not used to this sort of thing, but we'll see how they compare to what we normally do. I know for a fact it's been a huge time saver - wondering now how much my time worth? If all goes well, I'll be sure to do it again. Royal Caribbean's online system is so easy and fast! We did book one thing - diving in Manzanillo - independently (I let my husband take care of that).

Thanks for the well wishes!

Suzi

It's been a while since we last cruised with Royal Caribbean or visited San Diego - any input on boarding early in San Diego? I hear by 1pm it's been a zoo. We'll have priority boarding - do they have this in San Diego? In L.A. there used to be a nice lounge with refreshments - do have this in San Deego as well?

You will love Chops and Portofinos...and try the Seaview Cafe for lunch (good hamburgers, fries, onion rings, fruit plate). We enjoyed the cake decorating demonstration (in the Centrum) with the Captain. It was our second cruise on the beautiful Radiance last month, have a wonderful cruise!

We got to the ship just before 11:30 and breezed through check-in, not a line anywhere, and we were onboard before we knew it. There was a Suite designated check-in at the terminal.

Just off the Radiance this Monday. The toilets did not work on two seperate occasions, for several hours at a time. If you have not cruised for a while be prepared for a drop in food quality. The wife and I were surprized by the drop in overall quality from the Mariner, which we sailed in September. The fish offerings in the MDR were very poor. Usually the fish is very good, but on this cruise it was lousy. The ship is in very nice shape overall. The entertain was the usual. The comediene was just okay. The juggler guy was plain lousy. The magician was very good and the ventriliquist was great. We did not go to the production shows because they are always second rate, IMHO. However unlike the Mariner there were no midnight comedy shows. There is not lounge for diamond members. There were some cookies and beverages. Embarkation was a breeze, as was debarkation, not an ICE agent in sight. In fact the declaration cards were collected by RCCL employees, did not even have to show my passport once to get off the ship.

Just off the Radiance this Monday. The toilets did not work on two seperate occasions, for several hours at a time. If you have not cruised for a while be prepared for a drop in food quality. The wife and I were surprized by the drop in overall quality from the Mariner, which we sailed in September. The fish offerings in the MDR were very poor. Usually the fish is very good, but on this cruise it was lousy. The ship is in very nice shape overall. The entertain was the usual. The comediene was just okay. The juggler guy was plain lousy. The magician was very good and the ventriliquist was great. We did not go to the production shows because they are always second rate, IMHO. However unlike the Mariner there were no midnight comedy shows. There is not lounge for diamond members. There were some cookies and beverages. Embarkation was a breeze, as was debarkation, not an ICE agent in sight. In fact the declaration cards were collected by RCCL employees, did not even have to show my passport once to get off the ship.

Are you certain? I thought all ships had a Diamond "event" every night 5-8:30. Did they at least have this? I'll be very disappointed if they do not. I read somewhere that Diamonds can't use the Concierge Lounge any longer. Do some ships perhaps have separate Diamond Lounges - I wouldn't know - maybe that's what you are referring to.

Are you certain? I thought all ships had a Diamond "event" every night 5-8:30. Did they at least have this? I'll be very disappointed if they do not. I read somewhere that Diamonds can't use the Concierge Lounge any longer. Do some ships perhaps have separate Diamond Lounges - I wouldn't know - maybe that's what you are referring to.

On our 11/30th cruise on Radiance, the Diamond Members had the Viking Crown Lounge as their designated area between 5 and 8:30. It will depend on the number of Diamond Members as to where their venue is located. A letter will be waiting for you in your cabin giving you the location.

Unless a Diamond member is staying in a GS or above, they are not given access to the Concierge Lounge. We watched one gal try for 4 days to try and gain access giving Georgina, the Concierge, every excuse in the book.

As far as embarking in SD, you can arrive at the terminal as early as 11AM. You will have to take your luggage all the way inside the terminal and hand it off to the porters who will then load it onto a cart for transfer to the ship.

There is no special lounge available in SD as once they begin the boarding process it goes rather quickly. There will be reps in the terminal to direct you when checking in.

Sorry, my bad, I thought that the OP was asking if there was a departure lounge at the pier. They had a diamond event every night. One really nice touch was the diamond and diamond+ breakfast being served in Portofino, where speciality coffee (espresso, cappucino, etc. ) being offered free of charge. Very nice way to start the day.

Archived