best greek islands cruise - first time, most islands

majmark

New to the site and new to European cruising. Our primary criteria is the ports of call. We want to see the greek isles and maybe Crete and we're not really interested in other ports of call. Our time frame is the last two weeks of May.

Based on our Caribbean experience, my wife and I like amenities, but not formality, a decent stateroom with a king bed and a window.

For example, we were happy with the staterooms in the Disney Wonder and the food was adequate. Don't need the kids and Disney trappings, but if Disney did the greek islands we'd go with them. We don't need 5-star dining and don't want to dress for dinner every night. I've heard good things about Oceania, but I can't fit their itineraries with my available time.

Are there other cruise lines we should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

For us, the best Greek Islands are places not visited by any large cruise ship such as the smaller islands in the Ionian chain. But, given your specifications of late May than you might want to look at the Westerdam (Holland America). It is a 12 day cruise 5/16 - 5/28 cruise that getsyou to Santorini (many think this is one of the most beautiful places in the Greek Islands), Argostoli, and Corfu. There are also a few other ports such as Dubrovnik and Venice (not bad for 12 days). Another option is the Norwegian Gem (Norwegian) which does 14 day cruises which include quite a few Greek Islands although I have some issues with their port times (Santorini 4pm - 11 pm and Crete 7am till noon).

Hank

For us, the best Greek Islands are places not visited by any large cruise ship such as the smaller islands in the Ionian chain. But, given your specifications of late May than you might want to look at the Westerdam (Holland America). It is a 12 day cruise 5/16 - 5/28 cruise that getsyou to Santorini (many think this is one of the most beautiful places in the Greek Islands), Argostoli, and Corfu. There are also a few other ports such as Dubrovnik and Venice (not bad for 12 days). Another option is the Norwegian Gem (Norwegian) which does 14 day cruises which include quite a few Greek Islands although I have some issues with their port times (Santorini 4pm - 11 pm and Crete 7am till noon). Hank

Hank makes a super, excellent point on avoiding the massive cruise ships that can flood and overwhelm a port village and island. When we visited Mykonos in mid-June 2006, it was a Sunday and there was only our 200-passenger ship and another of this size in port. It made things so wonderful in not having to battle the massive crowds! Below are a few pictures from Mykonos. It has narrow streets with lots of beauty and charm. There are some websites that post what ships will be in what ports on which days. Knowing your "crowd competition" in each port can be helpful. One day could be great. The next day could be too, too much in terms of people and big ships. This is another factors to check and consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's the beachside activities:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

Housing up the hillside near Mykonos:

1A-Myk-Village-Shore.jpg

New to the site and new to European cruising. Our primary criteria is the ports of call. We want to see the greek isles and maybe Crete and we're not really interested in other ports of call. Our time frame is the last two weeks of May.

Based on our Caribbean experience, my wife and I like amenities, but not formality, a decent stateroom with a king bed and a window.

For example, we were happy with the staterooms in the Disney Wonder and the food was adequate. Don't need the kids and Disney trappings, but if Disney did the greek islands we'd go with them. We don't need 5-star dining and don't want to dress for dinner every night. I've heard good things about Oceania, but I can't fit their itineraries with my available time.

Are there other cruise lines we should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

You are exactly the person who should find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Have a GREAT cruise!

You are exactly the person who should find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate. Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike is 100% correct on getting a "GOOD", experienced travel agent. Good means knowing these regions well and having been in these areas a number of times. There are lots of agents who will book what you tell them and take your money. They'll get you there! Lots of agents have been to the Caribbean, but they don't know the Med, Greek Isles, Turkish Coast, etc., that well. There are also agents who work across the country, not just being in your local community. In this day of e-mail and nearly free long-distance phone connections, you don't have to be stuck with what is available in your immediate community or the first agent you meet. Once you've worked with a smart and savvy travel agent, you will realize that it is well worth it (at no added cost!).

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived