Cooking class

sparky-elpaso

I'm planning to take one of the cooking classes on our Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam. I'm trying to talk DH into taking it too. He's not sure about it - his "food preparation" experience is making a sandwich for lunch. He asked if he could just be a spectator while I took the class - but then I figure he wouldn't be able to join me in the eating part of the class. TIA

Since the cooking class is held behind closed curtains -- there would not be a place for your DH to just watch.

And as you say -- he woulf not be able to join in the eating of the food afterwards.

If he doesn't wish to join you -- there are lots of other things he can do -- sit by the pool and relax.

No reason why you shouldn't go just because he doesn;t want to take the class.

From my experience with the cooking classes only simple tasks are given the participants, and your husband will not feel out of place at all even though he has no kitchen experience. My DH can barely spread mayo on a piece of bread and he found it a lot of fun. Chopping onions was about the hardest task and the chef quickly knew who could be trusted with a knife and those who would be better putting lettuce on a plate. It was one of the best things we have done on a cruise.

From my experience with the cooking classes only simple tasks are given the participants, and your husband will not feel out of place at all even though he has no kitchen experience. My DH can barely spread mayo on a piece of bread and he found it a lot of fun. Chopping onions was about the hardest task and the chef quickly knew who could be trusted with a knife and those who would be better putting lettuce on a plate. It was one of the best things we have done on a cruise.

Thanks. Sounds perfect. I'll read your answer to him and tell him he's about to become a novice chef.

I took the cooking class on the Ryndam a few weeks ago and loved it. There were 12 of us divided into 3 groups of 4. Each group prepared a different item. Everyone had the opportunity to do as little or as much as they wanted. Because they do limit the class size you will want to sign up soon after getting on board, also keep in mind there is a fee. On the Ryndam it was $29, but we did get a nice apron as a keepsake.

I took the cooking class on the Ryndam a few weeks ago and loved it. There were 12 of us divided into 3 groups of 4. Each group prepared a different item. Everyone had the opportunity to do as little or as much as they wanted. Because they do limit the class size you will want to sign up soon after getting on board, also keep in mind there is a fee. On the Ryndam it was $29, but we did get a nice apron as a keepsake.

Thanks. Yes, I knew it was $29 and we plan to get to the front desk as soon as we board to sign up.

Are the cooking classes something you have to wait and sign up for once you are onboard, or can you book in in advance before you leave like you do excursions? It sounds like something my husband and I would really like.

Peg

Are the cooking classes something you have to wait and sign up for once you are onboard, or can you book in in advance before you leave like you do excursions? It sounds like something my husband and I would really like.

Peg

I do not know whether you can sign up in advance, but I doubt it. The minute I get on ship, before eating lunch, I go to the main desk to sign up. There was a flyer in our embarkation packet indicting the dates and times, also menus, for the classes. (Noordam Dec 11) There were three classes with Pinnacle chef Sheldon for a ten-day cruise. Salzburg

Hi Margaret; nice meeting you. Hope you had as wonderful a cruise as we did. Carol (down the hall)

Hi Carol. Nice meeting you too. :):):) We had a wonderful cruise - particularly liked the location and set-up of our room. Too many highlights to mention. Margaret

I just got off the Eurodam today and really enjoyed a cooking class by the chef at the Tamarind. Twelve of us attended and stood around the "on stage cooking set". No curtains were pulled.

There was very little "hands on" just some shredding carrots, cutting a variety of vegetables, lots of tips and q&A's. This was also one of the best things I've ever done on a cruise. The chef did 3 recipes: ribs, a great salad and a peach compote.

We ate a great meal at the end of our class and had a super time. I'm anxious to repeat this on a future cruise.

By the way, I signed up for this by phone prior to the cruise--called Holland to set it up. (Think I called their Special Services Dept.)

When I got on board I had to select from the classes available.

Enjoy your class!

Here is a picture of the cooking class on the Noordam with Pinnacle chef Sheldon last week. It was a lot of fun! http://picasaweb.google.com/purplenorway/Noordam09#5418832255426430690

Thanks for the pics - that really looks like fun.

Off topic - where in Michigan are you from? I'm originally from Lansing and DH grew up in St. Johns.

• 2 weeks later...

My 13 yr. old daughter and I took the cooking class aboard the Zuiderdam last week and it was held in the Culinary arts Center which is also the Queen's Lounge. We are not experienced cooks in the least and we had a lot of fun. As someone else said, you are in groups and you can choose to do as much or little as you feel comfortable. Afterwards we took our beautiful plates of food to the Pinnacle Grill to eat where they offered the adults wine. We also got to keep the aprons and recipe cards. $29. per person and I called in advance to special services and was not allowed to book until onboard. Odd that someone said they were allowed to. Do book as soon as yu are onboard, they will fill up quickly and notice that there are different menus for each day. The classes were also held on the sea days.

My wife and I have done them on the Osterdam and the Veendam in the past... As others have said, small group, do as much as you want...

We have ended meals in the Pinnacle, or in the Culinary Art center...

They are generally given by the Chef of the Pinnacle or other specialty restaurant... They are given twice (different recepeies) on a typical 7 or 8 day cruise, on at sea days. Many on our cruises took both.

You have to sign up on board (at at least have had to when we did) They do fill fast, so sign up early.

I was looking forward to taking a cooking class during our trip to Alaska last June, but I was disappointed to find out that they were scheduled during the scenic cruising days through both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. :confused: There were two other sea days that they could have been scheduled.

Be sure to check your itinerary before before you book your class so that you don't miss something that you are looking forward to.

Hope this helps,

N.

Peg

You can call Holland America and "pre-pay" for a class, but this is not a guaranteed spot. You still have to sign up when you get on the ship.

Judy

Archived