On our own in Grand Cayman

CB42

Last year while in Grand Cayman we did the Turtle Farm, Swim with Stingrays, and Hell on an Island tour threw Carnival. We got back to the dock 30 minutes before the last tender and didn't get to look around the shops near the port. So on our next trip in February we didn't book any excursions so we could just walk around and check things out. looking for suggestions of things to do and see, and eat near the port. Thanks in advance.

Last year while in Grand Cayman we did the Turtle Farm, Swim with Stingrays, and Hell on an Island tour threw Carnival. We got back to the dock 30 minutes before the last tender and didn't get to look around the shops near the port. So on our next trip in February we didn't book any excursions so we could just walk around and check things out. looking for suggestions of things to do and see, and eat near the port. Thanks in advance.

We'll be in Grand Cayman two weeks after you on the Inspiration and are looking to do some window shopping and hang out at 7 Mile Beach. I would be interested in hearing what you decide to do and how it turns out. We also have done Sting Ray City, Rum Point, Hell, and Boatswain's Turtle Farm.

Thanks for tips and suggestions :)

• 3 weeks later...

In port there is a museum. I googled info on this last week, it has both Art and History, and to see what a culture appreciates is pretty interesting. We plan on doing this after our submarine ride. Unfortunatly I think I get back the days you guys are leaving. So. while I will do a review, I wont be in time for you. Enjoy your sail.

:rolleyes:Royal uses beach colony hotel but that hotel was torn down does anyone know where they will be using now:eek:

Are you sure it was torn down? I'm sure it was still there over Christmas, although I wasn't specifically watching for it...and their website is still active with an online form for reservations...

http://www.beachclubcolony.ky/index.htm

That being said, you're better off going to either Sea Grape or Royal Palms, and skipping the ship's beach excursion. It's way cheaper and just as easy to do the beach on your own...

I haven't been that way in a couple weeks, but I know that Beach Club is slated for demolition. More condos coming.

Tiki Beach is a development already under construction which will be "serving the clients we were serving at the Beach Club Colony, although this facility will not be a hotel." according Ernest Smatt, who is the representative for Beach Club. http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=10388146

I didn't realize Tiki Beach was the same folks as the Beach Club. We drove by there on Dec. 28, and it looked really neat...kind of Polynesian or Hawaiian...the buildings reminded me a lot of the Polynesian hotel at Walt Disney World. :D

It's at the far end of Seven Mile Beach, so it's a bit further away from the port area, but as a cruise ship excursion it looks like it will have nice facilities, and at that end of the beach the snorkelling is a bit better. If it turns out to be as nice as it looks, it might make a ship-run beach excursion worthwhile after all...

Archived