Changing clocks back on Western Carib cruise

dolfandude

I had read many times previously that the ships that sail the Western Caribbean to Cozumel and the Central American ports always stayed on Eastern Standard time aboard the ship. THIS IS INCORRECT.

On board the Navigator last week we were told to set our clocks back one hour, at 2am the morning of our arrival in Cozumel. After leaving Belize two days later we were told to move them forward one hour back to EST.

This really surprised me as the information I've received on CC has always been on the spot. Is this something that RCL has just started? FYI.

Steve

I had read many times previously that the ships that sail the Western Caribbean to Cozumel and the Central American ports always stayed on Eastern Standard time aboard the ship. THIS IS INCORRECT.

On board the Navigator last week we were told to set our clocks back one hour, at 2am the morning of our arrival in Cozumel. After leaving Belize two days later we were told to move them forward one hour back to EST.

This really surprised me as the information I've received on CC has always been on the spot. Is this something that RCL has just started? FYI.

Steve

I'm not sure where you got that information, the correct answer has always been - one never knows for sure if/how/when ship times will be changed prior to being on board.

I'm not sure where you got that information, the correct answer has always been - one never knows for sure if/how/when ship times will be changed prior to being on board.

Exactly right! With the exception of cruise which ends in a different time zone than it began such as a transatlantic crossing. Other than that, it completely depends on that particular ship and itinerary, and may change from time to time, no pun intended.

Dolfan, it's not incorrect. It's absolutely at the discretion of the captain. On my western Caribbean itinerary, we stayed on eastern time the whole week.

I understand but it seems that this could cause some major confusion with passengers that have private excursions scheduled. I guess the tour guides specifiy through their communications that times are local not ships time. Seems like RCL would have a policy regarding this so all ships are uniform.

Interesting..........

Dolfan, I completely agree! Up until the liberty, I had NEVER been on a cruise where we DIDN'T have to continually change our clocks. But it was actually easier this way. I just never changed my watch and followed its time whenever in port.

I can understand a non-RCCL excursion problem, but these people watch the ships come into port every day, so they probably know not to start the excursions TOO early. But thanks to reading all about this clock issue on these boards, I did know to double check with my non-RCCL excursion guy in Cozumel that he was talking local time, not ship time.

I understand but it seems that this could cause some major confusion with passengers that have private excursions scheduled. I guess the tour guides specifiy through their communications that times are local not ships time. Seems like RCL would have a policy regarding this so all ships are uniform.

Interesting..........

It's not really in RCI's best interests to make things easy for the excursion operators not cutting them in on the action, now is it?

Archived