Is 11:20 AM flight doable out of Seattle

NEW YORK LADY2

Our cruise gets back into Seattle on Monday, July 5th at 7:30 AM (Royal Princess - 680 people) and the best flight time on Southwest is 11:20 AM on that day back to Orlando. I think this is doable but wanted to get others opinions. I know if it looks like we will get stuck we can call Southwest and change flights for a very nominal fee and I would certainly be willing to do that. Usually we stay a day or two after a cruise at the disembarkation port but after just getting back from our Egypt cruise (12 days) and doing 2 days pre cruise and 3 days post cruise in Rome & 4 days in NY I think I just want to come straight home after this cruise.

We've done this flight at this time before with no problem. However, this was at the old pier--I think the new one is farther away from the airport. We had problems once in Ft. Lauderdale when the ship came in code red. The port authorities held us up and didn't let us off for quite a while. You just never know when something out of the ordinary will happen.

I live here in Seattle and will have to tell you that you would be pushing it on a weekday morning arrival. Our weekday rush hour traffic is abominable.:mad: On a good traffic day, the port is about a 1/2 hour drive from the airport. In rush hour morning traffic you could push that to 45 mins to an hour. You would have to be one of the 1st off the ship to make it happen.

I live here in Seattle and will have to tell you that you would be pushing it on a weekday morning arrival. Our weekday rush hour traffic is abominable.:mad: On a good traffic day, the port is about a 1/2 hour drive from the airport. In rush hour morning traffic you could push that to 45 mins to an hour. You would have to be one of the 1st off the ship to make it happen.

that is why we are going to spend the night downtown when we get back to seattle. a 11:30 am flight out the next day will be less stressful and better managable for us. besides, i love to go too the market and see things in seattle every chance i get. can you give me a update on the light train that will be going back and forth to the airport in june?? we would like too use it the day before the cruise too get downtown too our hotel then. i hope it is up and running smoothly by then. we wont have much luggage and we are staying at the arctic club for the night. a few blocks walk will not hurt us at all if it saves us alot of money for a taxi from the airport. we are staying at the roosevelt the night we get back from the cruise. thanks for any help.

July 5, 2010 will be the official observance day for the 4th, so many government offices etc. will be closed. That might have a beneficial impact on traffic, but even so I can't imagine traffic being much of an issue in getting from Pier 91 to the airport. I'd just do my best to get off the boat early so you can get to the taxi queue pronto.

Meant to add, I suspect the cabs won't use I-5; it's easier to use surface streets from T91 to SR 99 and then straight to the airport. However it's at the driver's discretion. If you do use the interstate, you can use the HOV lanes, so no delays there at all.

I know if it looks like we will get stuck we can call Southwest and change flights for a very nominal fee and I would certainly be willing to do that. .

Only way to give an edge to this booking, is to plan now for self disembarkment, with that- you need to be able to handle ALL your own bags with no help.

You also are making a wrong assumptioin on the above- you'll just be able to "change" your flight. Sorry, but you are underestimating Seattle, this city has just about full load factors, every day. When you do "change" this flight, be very aware, it's going to be for probably days out, and just about a guarantee, no chance of the same day.

Well, after re-reading this whole thread I decided to change our flight to the next day as I was already stressing about whether we would make the flight based on feedback you all gave. An extra day in Seattle is better than not enjoying our 14 day cruise for worrying about the disembarcation. Now all I have to do is figure out where to stay and what to do in Seattle. With all the info on these boards that shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jackie

Archived