Rumbaba Charters: Anyone used them lately?

Terre

...One caveat: wear sunscreen and reapply often!!...

But do not use the spray on kind - it is dangerous on a barefoot boat (as all day sails we've been on have been) as the overspray makes the deck slippery so they don't let you use them.

I have some pictures of our March 12 ride with Rumbaba on my website at: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Caribbean-March-15-2010/St-Thomas-Pre-Cruise-Trip/11693513_kNoKh#825040059_NbQp5

Like usual I took too many pictures of fish and not enough of everything else but there are a few. Also a few from our 2009 trip at: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Constellation-March-2009-b2b/March-27th-2009-Sailing-All/7889882_ArRPb#511616802_Cu7x2

Thanks for sharing the photos Larry. Looks like you had a great time both times.Seems like there were more fish at Christmas Cove than in St. John. The reefs look great and not tramped all over. That was what I liked about snorkeling in St. John. Nice healthy reefs. So here is my question for you are you supposed to tip the first mate or the Captain? I have heard that you tip the first mate. Is it standard to tip 15 percent like when you get a haircut or go out to eat?

Thanks for sharing the photos Larry. Looks like you had a great time both times.Seems like there were more fish at Christmas Cove than in St. John. The reefs look great and not tramped all over. That was what I liked about snorkeling in St. John. Nice healthy reefs. So here is my question for you are you supposed to tip the first mate or the Captain? I have heard that you tip the first mate. Is it standard to tip 15 percent like when you get a haircut or go out to eat?

At least on the Rumbuba the first mate (Lori) has collected the fees at the end of the trip - we've given her extra at that time. I would presume that the Captain and her have an understanding as to any gratuity added.

We'll be on the Rumbaba a week from today!! We're doing a pre-cruise in St. Thomas before heading to San Juan to catch the Millennium.

Captain Bobby will probably be getting the grill ready while we're wrapping up snorkeling right about this time of day and getting ready for a nice drink. Ahhhhh.......

How do you get in touch with him?

Sounds great

L Simon- Your pictures are great. What type of camera do you use underwater? I'm looking to buy something good to use on this next trip since we're doing several water related excursions. Thanks!

Thank you. Most recently I've used a Canon SD870 in the Underwater Marine case sold by Canon for it. That Camera is a couple of years old but a newer model in the SD series that they have a case for would be fine. I really like the underwater marine cases designed by the manufacturer more than the newer cameras that are designed for underwater shooting without a case. Those can not go more than a couple feet deep and even then have problems - look at the reviews of such models on Amazon for lots of problem reports with virtually every model.

But the real secret is doing a very small amount of editing to correct lighting using Photoshop Elements (the "light" version of Photoshop). I have some examples posted at: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Other/Underwater-Examples/2211051_kYMXq#162491389_BCEyY

This makes all the difference in any underwater photos.

I contacted Rumbaba as we really wanted to sail with them in September after view Larry's photos and reading great reviews on them.

Rumbaba responded to our e-mail that due to Carnival Dream's port time 10-8 it would have to be a special charter 11-5 which is not their normal time frame so we would be responsible to find four other people before we could make a reservation.

I am finding it frustrating to find any day snorkel/sails that do not depart before 10 am, most do 9 am which leaves us out.

Sept 14th the day we are in St. Thomas there will be over 12,000 cruise passengers in port and we really wanted to get away from these crowds with a day sail but it is looking like one of our few options will be a ship excursion, UGH.

I would not expect any of these day sail vendors to change their schedule when two other ships are in port earlier than Dream, heck they all have to make a living!

Susan

Thanks for the info, I have already posted on our roll call but have not gotten any nibbles, most want to shop or tour with Godfrey that is why I am trying on the Port of Call boards.

I think most feel it is still too far off to be solidifying plans but not for me.

I will keep trying I am sure we will find something to suit us.

I may ask Rumbaba as it get closer if the date is still open if he would consider again booking two.

Susan

I had the same issue. Rumbaba wanted us to book a private charter regardless if it was just my wife and I or if we wanted we could find up to 4 others. We decided to book the tour and take the chance to find people. We booked a half day tour so that we can still do a little shopping and see the town. We ended up finding another couple on this forum to join us on the charter so we will split the 500.00 fee for half the day 4 ways. we sail in about 20 days...I found someone 2 days after posting that I booked the charter. Just keep your eye on the roll call for your cruise...im sure you will find someone if they read the reviews about rumbaba.

Archived