Rumbaba Charters: Anyone used them lately?

Terre

Has anyone booked with Rumbaba lately? We did a snorkeling excursion with Capt. Bob a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it...just wondering if anyone's booked lately and your experience.

We will be in St. Thomas on the Serenade of the Seas in June and are considering this excursion again.

We sailed with them last March and loved everything about the trip - especially the snorkeling and anchored time at St. John and the food. It was much nicer than a trip on one of the competitor's boat. We're booked again this March.

Scott, this make much more sense than your You Tube video! LOL, I couldn't quite figure out what that had to do with Rumbaba! Yes, you have Karen's name correct -- at least Karen was Bobby's mate when we used them a few years ago.

I do remember how great the food was...I had the Mahi Mahi and it was wonderful!

Thanks again, everyone. Looks like Rumbaba is still as great as we remember it.

I just got a quote for this trip...we are a group of 4 and I was quoted $500 for a 4 hour trip. I can't decide if we should book this...or another boat or the one through the ship. We tried to do the Champagne sail to St John the last time we were in St Thomas. When we got to the boat we were all very excited...boat was very nice. Unfortunately the boat had motor problems and the tour was cancelled!! We got a full refund from Princess. We were going to try this exursion again. I think it is $84 through Princess and the trip is 3 and a half hours. If we book through Rumbaba we will be paying $125 per person plus tip. I would feel like we would have to pay a larger tip per person because of the small group size. If we book through the boat I know that the group size is bigger....what should we do? HELP! :D

I just got a quote for this trip...we are a group of 4 and I was quoted $500 for a 4 hour trip. I can't decide if we should book this...or another boat or the one through the ship. We tried to do the Champagne sail to St John the last time we were in St Thomas. When we got to the boat we were all very excited...boat was very nice. Unfortunately the boat had motor problems and the tour was cancelled!! We got a full refund from Princess. We were going to try this exursion again. I think it is $84 through Princess and the trip is 3 and a half hours. If we book through Rumbaba we will be paying $125 per person plus tip. I would feel like we would have to pay a larger tip per person because of the small group size. If we book through the boat I know that the group size is bigger....what should we do? HELP! :D

My opinion - I wouldn't think twice about it - book the Rumbaba. It is 20x more enjoyable than any cruise line excursion could be. Thy only motor out of the harbor - other than that you're on a sail boat.

If coming up with the extra dollars is a problem for you - then you have a decision to make. But if having the cash isn't an issue and you're only worrying about value - then stop worrying and book the Rumbaba before someone beats you to it. And if someone does beat you to it then ask Captain Bobby for his recommendation of another captain offering a similar excursion - there are at least a half dozen similar operators - maybe more. I've only done 2 and enjoyed the Rumbaba much more than the other but would still highly recommend the other over the cruise line snorkeling excursion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Booked Rumbaba for May Cruise thanks to all the recommendations from CC. :)

Two questions....our ship will be in port from 9-6. Will there be any time left after day sail for just a bit of shopping?

Is getting to and from Red Hook a problem?

THANKS.

Booked Rumbaba for May Cruise thanks to all the recommendations from CC. :)

Two questions....our ship will be in port from 9-6. Will there be any time left after day sail for just a bit of shopping?

Is getting to and from Red Hook a problem?

THANKS.

Getting to and from Red Hook is not a problem. Just grab a taxi outside the ship but be sure to tell the taxi dispatchers you're looking for a taxi to the Yacht Club at Red Hook and what time you need to be there so they won't direct you to a shared cab headed to the Red Hook ferry. Then, while you're on the way, make arraingements with the driver for the return ride. You can take your cell phone and get the taxi driver's number so you can call them when you're sailing back. Most cell phone plans cover St. Thomas just like back in your USA hometown so there shouldn't be any international rates to worry about for USA residents - you can double check this with your cell phone company.

We've usually just shopped for an hour or so at Havensight, the shopping area near the ship, on our return rather than go downtown. There might be a little time to get downtown if you'd rather. You can just have the taxi driver take you there if you don't need to change clothes first. If you really want to shop it would be easy for Captain Bobby to head back early. Usual routine is sail to St. John, snorkeling, lunch & swimming, and then the option for either snorkeling at another site or scenic sailing before heading back to Red Hook. You can eliminate this last step if you want and head back an hour or so earlier if your group is the only one on the boat.

Thanks Lsimon...You know how those girls gotta have a shopping time. ??:confused:

But truly, I don't think I want to give up any sail/snorkeling time to do it! Maybe a little shopping by this ship will do for this time around....THanks for your suggestions!!!!

There are four of us going on this sail...we are looking forward to it. Your pics were great.

We'll be on the Rumbaba a week from today!! We're doing a pre-cruise in St. Thomas before heading to San Juan to catch the Millennium.

Captain Bobby will probably be getting the grill ready while we're wrapping up snorkeling right about this time of day and getting ready for a nice drink. Ahhhhh.......

• 2 weeks later...

just booked Rumbaba

Hi we will be sailing with Bobby on Rumbaba April 6, tuesday. We are on Oasis, April 3 sailing. Can't wait to see beautiful st john for the first time.

JAxflygirl, Have a great time and please give a report when you get back. :)

Larry, does Captain Bobby actually grill your food for you? That sounds great, fresh hot grilled food rather than a sandwich or cold plate. I'm looking forward to hearing about your latest trip. We are sure considering this trip HIGHLY for our December trip. Thanks for the info.

He grilled for us when we used them a few years ago. I had the mahi mahi and it was the best I've ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a full day with Captain Bobby on March 14th and had a blast! Easily the best day of the whole cruise. Captain Bobby will do whatever you want, and he takes you to some great snorkeling spots. The boat was great, the lunch was fantastic, and the drinks are good too! You will not be disappointed in this tour. One caveat: wear sunscreen and reapply often!! I got really burnt on this trip from sitting up in the front of the boat. It was worth it though :)

Archived