Whale Watching - comfort factor?

J.E.C

We are goign to Alaska for the first time in July and I want to do a Whale Watching Tour (thinking of Harv and Marv), but.....

My hubby has a neck injury and suffers badly if he gets sudden jolts, I wondered if any of you expereiced folk will be able to advice me as to whether we would be in for a bumpy ride out to the whale watching area?

Many thanks

J

I've been on over a hundred whale watches, and there is NO way to predict, the movement. Frankly, it is not going to be all about the "bumps", but also likely, him just walking on the nonstable surface. Probably not a good idea. Consider going by yourself.

We have the same concern for my back. According to advice I received, your best bet is to go with the large tour groups with large, luxurious boats. (They have crowded decks, though, so the quality of the tour is lower.) They have a better chance of giving you a smoothe ride since they are larger and can handle the seas better. BUT, even on these, no one can guarantee a smoothe ride. It's very common to hit waves, etc. that cause some rough bumps. We've decided that it's something we wish we could do, but, considering the odds, not worth the pain and agony of a rough ride.

I would never, ever call the larger boats 'luxury' boats. No way! At best they are adequate and more comfortable than sitting on a plank, but in no way are luxury catagory.

BQ is right: slip and fall injuries are a factor to consider. Been there, done that and I've spent plenty of time on boats. I landed heavy end down on a wet deck as I tried to save my camera from doing so.

I have back & neck problems, & an artificial hip. I had no problems on a 40 passenger boat out of Juneau or a 6 passenger boat out of Whittier, & was out on the open decks the entire trip in the rain. Only you know your husband's limits.

I would never, ever call the larger boats 'luxury' boats. No way! At best they are adequate and more comfortable than sitting on a plank, but in no way are luxury catagory.

BQ is right: slip and fall injuries are a factor to consider. Been there, done that and I've spent plenty of time on boats. I landed heavy end down on a wet deck as I tried to save my camera from doing so.

You're right Penny. I meant more luxurious with padded seating.

...your best bet is to go with the large tour groups with large, luxurious boats. (They have crowded decks, though, so the quality of the tour is lower.) They have a better chance of giving you a smoothe ride since they are larger and can handle the seas better. BUT, even on these, no one can guarantee a smoothe ride. It's very common to hit waves, etc. that cause some rough bumps. ...

The large (but "luxurious" only by comparison) boats from Allen Marine, who usually do the ship's tours, are very comfortable and have lots of viewing area, both outside and inside with large picture windows. The ride is usually very smooth and comfortable. BUT -- as said above -- at sea, things happen. One time we were in an Allen Marine boat and had a very bumpy ride for about 10 minutes.

I have a bad hip and artificial knees. I am very comfortable on the Allen Marine boats and just sit down carefully when they hit the bumps. I am not sure I would be happy outside on the upper deck while the boat is moving.

If you have a more serious condition, then whale watching might not be for you.

You may want to consider larger boat from Orca if boat stability is important. Those operators all have excellent safety record. But a bigger boat will sail much smoother.

The larger Orca Enterprises boat goes pretty darn fast and you can feel some bumps as he races out in Auke Bay to get to the whales. Not a problem for me, but may be an issue for folks with neck problems.

The larger Orca Enterprises boat goes pretty darn fast and you can feel some bumps as he races out in Auke Bay to get to the whales. Not a problem for me, but may be an issue for folks with neck problems.

i found his boat very comfortable, it was easy to find some place to stand and brace myself. we had white caps and it wasn't the smoothest ride.

i do like that there are no place that i had to step over, like in the door way or to get on the boat. i don't balance well. i have 2 ruptured disks, stenosis of the neck and a couple of crushed disks in the lower back. i know i should be more careful, but seeing humpback gets me so excited i forget about the pain or causing more damage. i just try to be very, very careful to NOT fall down.:eek:

i found his boat very comfortable, it was easy to find some place to stand and brace myself. we had white caps and it wasn't the smoothest ride.

i do like that there are no place that i had to step over, like in the door way or to get on the boat. i don't balance well. i have 2 ruptured disks, stenosis of the neck and a couple of crushed disks in the lower back. i know i should be more careful, but seeing humpback gets me so excited i forget about the pain or causing more damage. i just try to be very, very careful to NOT fall down.:eek:

His boat is wheelchair accessible, so anyone with balance problems or fear of falling who comes aboard in a wheelchair can sit and watch the whales through the front window or from the open back deck with no need to walk around at all.

His boat is wheelchair accessible, so anyone with balance problems or fear of falling who comes aboard in a wheelchair can sit and watch the whales through the front window or from the open back deck with no need to walk around at all.

i still have dreams of going up to the top viewing area, but had to settle for a corner spot outside on the back. tucked in to protect from the wind and cold...we went on a very nasty day in sept of 'o6, rain, sleet and fog.

with the wide, flat deck, it was easy to walk around...just had to be careful of wet spots.

Archived