Hot Tubs at Night?

curlimommy

Just wondering if they are open at night or do the pool and hot tubs completely close down at a certain time? I'll be on Solstice next week and hubby and I like to have a hot tub in the evening after dinner sometimes. Thanks!

I hope you wait a least a few hours after eating to sit in hot tub. It can be dangerous to your health. Just my twocentsworth.

I hope you wait a least a few hours after eating to sit in hot tub. It can be dangerous to your health. Just my twocentsworth.

Where did you hear that?:confused:

Heard that about swimming and waiting after eating because when you're swimming you are exerting yourself, and should not do so too close to eating. But relaxing after eating in a hot tub? New to me.

Heard that about swimming and waiting after eating because when you're swimming you are exerting yourself, and should not do so too close to eating. But relaxing after eating in a hot tub? New to me.

I read about it online when I was searching for safety guidelines in using a hot tub. The website mentioned something about not soaking in a hot tub after eating a heavy meal (which is something many cruising passengers are prone to do at dinner :) )

I read about it online when I was searching for safety guidelines in using a hot tub. The website mentioned something about not soaking in a hot tub after eating a heavy meal (which is something many cruising passengers are prone to do at dinner :) )

Have a link? Is it a good source?:confused:

Seriously, Never heard of such a warning.

Have a link? Is it a good source?:confused:

Seriously, Never heard of such a warning.

I am not sure if we are allowed to give out commercial websites links on this board. I will try to find out and if we are allowed to do so, I will give you the link.

The theory is that digesting a heavy meal will increase your pulse rate and sitting in a hot tub also will increase your pulse. Then add alcohol to the equation and you now have three factors raising your heart rate.

I have heard this advice before (I was a lifeguard in high school and part of college). But, as far as I'm concerned, this kind of advice falls into the same category as "don't open an umbrella indoors" and "don't walk under ladders".

Troy

The theory is that digesting a heavy meal will increase your pulse rate and sitting in a hot tub also will increase your pulse. Then add alcohol to the equation and you now have three factors raising your heart rate.

I have heard this advice before (I was a lifeguard in high school and part of college). But, as far as I'm concerned, this kind of advice falls into the same category as "don't open an umbrella indoors" and "don't walk under ladders".

Troy

This "hot tub after meals" thing sounds a lot like many things off the Internet .. say it often enough and it will get some traction. LOL! :D

My wife too was a longtime life guard and has never heard of such a thing. Physical exertion is to avoided especially when it can put you in a dangerous situation... like drowning. :rolleyes:

Using the "hot tubs and eating" model, I suppose playing video games, golf or gambling (not to mention other things :cool:) also should be avaoided after eating as they fall into the same category. They can get your heart rate up. :rolleyes:

This "hot tub after meals" thing sounds a lot like many things off the Internet .. say it often enough and it will get some traction. LOL! :D

My wife too was a longtime life guard and has never heard of such a thing. Physical exertion is to avoided especially when it can put you in a dangerous situation... like drowning. :rolleyes:

Using the "hot tubs and eating" model, I suppose playing video games, golf or gambling (not to mention other things :cool:) also should be avaoided after eating as they fall into the same category. They can get your heart rate up. :rolleyes:

No, it is not an Internet rumor, just some advice (or caution) that is mentioned on a commercial website (as well as some others). Please remember that this information comes from a company selling hot tubs so I would assume that their intent is NOT to scare people away from purchasing or using one.

Here is the link to website:

Please read the 10th guideline under " soaking safety"

http://www.ezhottubs.com/news/spa_guidelines.htm

All that said, this subject veered away from the question of the OP and my post was not meant to start a controversy, just a little bit of friendly advice which anyone is free to follow or not, as they choose.

No, it is not an Internet rumor, just some advice (or caution) that is mentioned on a commercial website (as well as some others). Please remember that this information comes from a company selling hot tubs so I would assume that their intent is NOT to scare people away from purchasing or using one.

Here is the link to website:

Please read the 10th guideline under " soaking safety"

http://www.ezhottubs.com/news/spa_guidelines.htm

All that said, this subject veered away from the question of the OP and my post was not meant to start a controversy, just a little bit of friendly advice which anyone is free to follow or not, as they choose.

Wow! :eek: I had no idea they were so risky! :rolleyes:

Yes you're right, the OP's question has been addressed, but I was so surprised about the eating/tubbing thing... I'd really never heard that one. I have learned something on this thread.

Here's the legal "cover-the-buttressness" stuff on the web site mentioned.... wow! It actually doesn't mention "why" It is best not to soak immediately after eating a heavy meal.

It also says not to tub if you have been drinking... that never happens on a cruise ship, but makes some sense to me more than eating... maybe it's so you don't fall asleep and cook? :D

Soaking Safety

Soaking in your spa or hot tub is relaxing, warm and wonderful. The hot water soothes your body and

rejuvenates your spirits. But that same hot water holds some potential dangers.

• Persons with heart disease, diabetes, high or low blood pressure or any serious illness, and pregnant women-indeed persons with any doubt-should not enter a spa or hot tub with out prior consultation with their doctor.

• Before entering, look at the water in your spa or hot tub. If there is

cloudiness or foaming, or if a "locker room" or strong chlorine smell is present, the water needs treatment. Soaking in such water greatly increases your chances of getting a skin rash (pseudomonas). Be sure to maintain the water properly. Ask your spa or hot tub professional for guidance.

• People with skin, ear, genital or other body infections, open sores or wounds should not use the spa or hot tub because of the possibility of spreading infection.

• Shower with soap and water before and after using the spa or hot tub. Showering before use washes away many of the common skin bacteria, and removes lotions, deodorants, creams, etc. Perspiration and lotions will reduce the effectiveness of the disinfectant and lesson the ability of the filter to work efficiently.

• vita_small.jpgHigh water temperatures can elevate your body temperature of your internal organs beyond safe limits. (It's almost like having a fever.) It is recommended that maximum water temperature never exceed 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius).

• Soaking too long makes some people nauseous, dizzy, lightheaded or faint. Don't soak for more than 15 minutes at one sitting in 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) water. If you wish to soak for a longer period of time in high temperatures, leave the spa or hot tub after 15 minutes, shower, cool down and then return for another brief stay. In lower temperatures (e.g., 98.6 degrees - normal body temperature), most people can comfortably and safely soak for longer periods at one sitting. If you have any questions about what's right for you and your family, consult with your doctor.

• Never use the spa or hot tub when you're alone.

• Never use a spa or hot tub while or after using alcohol. Alcohol acts to expand your blood vessels and increase your body temperature- much like soaking in hot water does. Alcohol in your bloodstream and soaking at the same time creates a combined effect that can be damaging. The body temperature may accelerate to dangerous levels quickly. The alcohol may cause nausea, dizziness or lightheadedness. The ultimate danger of combined alcohol consumption and hot water soaking is drowning due to loss of consciousness, heart attack or injury due to passing out and falling.

• As with alcohol, the combined use of certain prescribed medicines and hot water soaking can be dangerous. Never use a spa or hot tub while or after using narcotics or other drugs that may cause sleepiness, drowsiness or raise or lower blood pressure. With any drug or medication, consult with your doctor about potential harmful effects from combined use of the drug and hot water soaking. Never use a spa or hot tub if you are under the influence of drugs.

• It is best not to soak immediately after eating a heavy meal.

• Keep an accurate thermometer in the spa or hot tub at all times to monitor the water temperature. Be sure you check the water temperature before and while in the spa or hot tub.

• Do not try to adjust or touch equipment such as

pumps, heaters or electrical appliances while you are in the spa or hot tub, or while standing in water, unless designed as such and recommended by the manufacturer.

• Enter the spa or hot tub slowly and cautiously. Be careful of your footing, and allow your body to gradually get used to the water temperature. Leave slowly as well, because your leg muscles may be sufficiently relaxed to make you a bit unsteady, and you may become lightheaded.

• Never allow children to use the spa or hot tub unsupervised. Children enjoy playing in water and may not understand the risk involved in too much exposure. Discretion is advised in allowing children to use spas and hot tubs at all, since their young bodies may not adjust well to the high temperatures. If in doubt, check with your doctor.

• If young children will be using your spa or hot tub, explain to them that they cannot under any circumstances dive or jump into it. While a spa or hot tub may seem large and deep to a child, it is not designed for jumping, diving or underwater swimming.

Of course much about the "heat" in a hot tub does not apply on cruise ships, I've never been in one on a cruise ship that even came close to being "HOT" which I'm sure is all about safety too....not complaining, just stating my experience.

I definitely echo this sentiment. "Hot" is definitely a misnomer.

Also watch out for exhibitionist couples getting frisky at night. Seen it with my own eyes along with hundreds of other witnesses on a Millie cruise several years ago on a Med cruise.

Maybe you've just blown the OP's cover for asking the question. :D

Archived