Has anyone stayed at the Wyndem Garden Hotel in Newark?

oceancruiser1

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the Wyndem Garden Hotel. I have just booked their park and fly package, which includes 14 days parking. Will the car be relatively safe there do you think? Cruising out of Manhattan and thought this was a reasonable alternative to spending $$$'s on parking for 14 days. The hotel is only $99/night next Sunday, Jan 10th.

I've not stayed at this hotel, but it gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. Also Megr1125 (Meg) does not recommend this hotel - hopefully she will post. I just looked at http://www.trinityreservations.com/ and am seeing the Fairfield Inn for $106 including taxes (I'm betting your rate of $99 is $99 + tax). We have had good feedback on this forum about the park/cruise at Fairfield Inn. Whatever hotel you choose, be sure to print out a mapquest and detailed directions - don't rely exclusively on your GPS.

My concern would be the cost and ease of transportation in and out of Newark to Manhattan. Most posters who stay in Newark stay right near the Path station, which is easy access to Manhattan,or they stay near a commuter bus stop. I don't recall posters shuttling to and from Newark Airport to get into Manhattan

I've not stayed at this hotel, but it gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. Also Megr1125 (Meg) does not recommend this hotel - hopefully she will post. I just looked at http://www.trinityreservations.com/ and am seeing the Fairfield Inn for $106 including taxes (I'm betting your rate of $99 is $99 + tax). We have had good feedback on this forum about the park/cruise at Fairfield Inn. Whatever hotel you choose, be sure to print out a mapquest and detailed directions - don't rely exclusively on your GPS.

Wow, that's a great price for the Fairfield Inn compared to their website! I assume you've used this webite before for booking and have had no problems? Thanks if this is a reputable site I will book through them!

Jimbo used this website - look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967911&highlight=trinityreservations&page=2. He had a positive experience - please read about it. I've priced park/flies (or cruises) for both Newark and Boston on this site and their prices are always very good. However, I have never personally made a reservation through them.

Are you planning on staying in this hotel and going into Manhattan to sightsee? If so, please let us know what you're thinking. It will cost you about $60 rt for 2 people unless you take the bus.

Jimbo used this website - look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967911&highlight=trinityreservations&page=2. He had a positive experience - please read about it. I've priced park/flies (or cruises) for both Newark and Boston on this site and their prices are always very good. However, I have never personally made a reservation through them.

Are you planning on staying in this hotel and going into Manhattan to sightsee? If so, please let us know what you're thinking. It will cost you about $60 rt for 2 people unless you take the bus.

We are driving next weekend from Nova Scotia, Canada - will spend one night (Jan 10th, if the weather cooperates) at the park and cruise hotel. Then we will probably take a shuttle from the airport to Manhattan and stay at hotel in Manhattan on the 11th and 12th (booked The Pod Hotel).

Cruise leaves on the 13th so we have a few days flexibility if we run into bad weather. That's the plan right now anyway.

Looking at using the Airlink NYC shuttle - $39.00 each return from airport to The Pod and Cruise terminal to the airport. I know that we are inconvienced a little with the "jaunt" between the hotel and the airport but I like the idea of "door to door" service ( the Pod and cruise terminal) and can't justify the cost of a car service to DH.

If you have a better suggestion I'm all ears :). This is my first vist to NYC, we have driven through but never stopped before.

I really can't speak to the Airlink Shuttle - my area of expertise (such as it is) is how the trains and Path work. Hopefully one of the "New Yorkers" will post and answer your question. Whatever you decide, could you post back and let us know your experiences?

sure thing... the other option we are thinking of is the airport express bus and then cab from Grand Central to hotel. Thanks for the very useful information... I have checked out Jimbo's experience and think I will try that site as well. Ofcourse will have to discuss with DH this evening.

it still looks like crap and there is nothing around.....sorry! maybe the inside is OK, but the outside and the area around it are yucky

wyndhams can be hit or miss, regardless of renvoation status. personally even with a redo, i would take a pass! i've been in more crappy wyndhams than nice ones....again, my opinion and experience only, YMMV

Wow, that's a great price for the Fairfield Inn compared to their website! I assume you've used this webite before for booking and have had no problems? Thanks if this is a reputable site I will book through them!

not sure, BUT if is is NOT a prepaid rate, and it is cancellable, go to marriott.com and fill out the best rate guarantee form! you can get an even better deal....

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-rates/travel.mi

My concern would be the cost and ease of transportation in and out of Newark to Manhattan. Most posters who stay in Newark stay right near the Path station, which is easy access to Manhattan,or they stay near a commuter bus stop. I don't recall posters shuttling to and from Newark Airport to get into Manhattan

It isn't really convenient but it can be done....i take NJ Transit from the airport into NY Penn station.....not the cheapest, easiest or most practical, but it works.

Alexpianoman - please report back on your stay at the Wyndham. Just remember it is primarily an airport hotel for one night stays - it's not a vacation destination. Most folks are looking for a clean reasonably comfortable room to get a good night's sleep.

We have stayed at the Wyndham twice before flying to Europe for a cruise. The rooms are fine, the coffee shop type restaurant is adequate, the parking is secure, the shuttle is reliable and the staff is friendly.

True, it does not look like much from the outside and there is nothing around it. But for a Newark airport hotel it serves the purpose. I found it offered the best combination of low rates, two weeks of parking, and convenient location in the area.

We have stayed at the Wyndham twice before flying to Europe for a cruise. The rooms are fine, the coffee shop type restaurant is adequate, the parking is secure, the shuttle is reliable and the staff is friendly.

True, it does not look like much from the outside and there is nothing around it. But for a Newark airport hotel it serves the purpose. I found it offered the best combination of low rates, two weeks of parking, and convenient location in the area.

Thanks Devere, you have put my mind at ease... it sounds perfect for a two week park and fly/cruise with low rates. My main concern were that the place is clean and the parking secure.

Well, we arrived here at the Wyndam Garden Hotel yesterday evening. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. We arrived in the dark so I can't comment on how it looks on the outside but it is very nice inside... and that's all that really matters to me. For an overnight park and fly/cruise stay it's perfect. No problems with check-in, fast and efficient. Rooms are modern with a very comfortable bed and the pillows are awesome. We had a quick dinner in the restaurant (we were quite tired from driving all day) and it was pretty good as well as being reasonably priced. There was something available in all price points. The only complaint we have thus far is that occasionally you can smell cigarette smoke( must be coming through the ventilation system?). Will update this review when we get back and pick up the car.

Well, we arrived here at the Wyndam Garden Hotel yesterday evening. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. We arrived in the dark so I can't comment on how it looks on the outside but it is very nice inside... and that's all that really matters to me. For an overnight park and fly/cruise stay it's perfect. No problems with check-in, fast and efficient. Rooms are modern with a very comfortable bed and the pillows are awesome. We had a quick dinner in the restaurant (we were quite tired from driving all day) and it was pretty good as well as being reasonably priced. There was something available in all price points. The only complaint we have thus far is that occasionally you can smell cigarette smoke( must be coming through the ventilation system?). Will update this review when we get back and pick up the car.

Smokey smell....BLECH!!!

Other than that, glad it worked out for you!

We are considering a cruise out of bayonne so this could be an option for us as well. We are from Ontario so we also need a stay and park option. Only other thing we thought of was to drive the extra couple of hours and go to atlantic city for a night precruise and then use the port parking on the day of sail. I figure if we left AC around ten am we'd be there in plenty of time to sail. Any thoughts from locals on this plan?

Am I correct that there are no park and cruise hotels for Bayonne? We think it will be better to just pay the $228 at the pier. Thoughts?

there's really only the country inn on glimcher realty way....and maybe the wyndham garden, BUT IIRC, they don't include room and parking and transfers unless you call and ask....for instance the country inn charges extra to park...

you CAN book a park n fly then just pay for a car service to take you....there are several places that should offer this...

if you book the fairfield inn thru something called trinity reservations (hey 138/carol, is that right??) you can score a decent deal...then its around 45 bucks each way, plus tip for a car to the pier....

check my blog for other ideas...link below!

• 6 months later...

So if one does stay at the Wyndham, what is the best option to get to the pier?

The hotel told me it would be about $50 by cab. They have a good rate, just deciding if it is worth it and the hassle after the cruise to get back to the hotel.

Thanks

Archived