Passport Expiration?

sr5242

I agree with the others who said to get your passport renewed NOW.

You have plenty of time before your cruise.

That being said, I have to add that my daughter sailed with HAL in November and her passport expires in January. Since we were sailing the Caribbean, there was no problem - because she could have sailed using just her birth certificate and driver license.

I called HAL ahead of time and asked if there would be a problem with her about-to-expire passport and if she would be denied boarding. They told me no, she would not be denied.

She had been on an extended trip abroad in Sept/October and did not have sufficient time, once back in the states, to get her passport renewed before the cruise. [The cruise was very last minute for her, too.]

We have a chance to go on a last-minute Caribbean cruise (March) departing from Florida. My husband's passport expires in Sept this year. That is five months away, but too late to renew before this cruise. Any advice from CC travelers? We have to make up our mind asap. Thank you. Salzburg

We had problems at Gatwick Airport in London. My husband's passport had an edge that had a chew mark from our puppy, one edge mind you. They had real issues with that. Then our children's passports were not signed. More issues. Many dirty looks and probably held us up 15 minutes after waiting in line for 45 minutes. When the lady at the hotel advised us to arrive at the airport 4 hours before boarding she was NOT kidding. We couldn't even get our carry on to pass inspection because it would not fit in their little rack they have to check size. The carry on in question was my son's backpack, just a normal backpack from Kmart. Then we had those neck pillows because we had flown in on the red eye. Well, those could not be carried through. They needed to fit in the carryon, which already was too big according to their predetermined size (different from here in the States). It was the most horrendous time we have ever had in an airport. We spent another half hour trying to get past security there. We kept being sent back by security to the end of the line to rearrange our bags. Finally, I had my daughter wear her neck pillow and told her keep walking and I figured if they stopped us again we would just throw them away and buy another one on the other side of the doorway (where they had them for sale in the restaurant/shopping area:mad:). The drama continued as you were not allowed to walk to the gate until your flight appeared on the screen. We kept watching the screens and as soon as our gate number flashed it said that it was the last boarding call. And the gates were a mile walk away! We ran as best we could (family of 5). Apparently they were doing this as a security measure but the whole procedure was unnerving. So if you are doing any international flights, check the passports before you leave. And check their carry on requirements as they are definitely different! And wear running shoes.

diane

We have a chance to go on a last-minute Caribbean cruise (March) departing from Florida. My husband's passport expires in Sept this year. That is five months away, but too late to renew before this cruise. Any advice from CC travelers? We have to make up our mind asap. Thank you. Salzburg

I would not hesitate to take the cruise myself as you are almost at the 6 month mark. The reason for ensuring you have 6 months leeway on the passport is in case of an emergency where you are stranded in another country where you will be delayed before returning (medical emergency, natural disaster, legal problem, etc.)

The chances of you being detained for 6 months before being able to return home are very slim. Yes, it is possible, but if one happens you should be able to determine if your delay will be close to that length. If your husband were to be laid up and you know that it is possible he would be getting close to his expiry date before he would be able to return home, you should have enough time to apply for and receive a renewal before his current one expires.

There are few circumstances that would arise that would cause that length a delay. If it were me, I would take the cruise - assuming it is of a duration of no more than 30 days. Anything over that, you are starting to push the envelope.

Also, I am assuming (bad thing to do, I know:D) that when you say a Caribbean cruise you mean ports where you do not require Visas, vaccinations, or where there is no increased screening of passengers disembarking than the "normal". These ports tend to be the ones that get sticky about the expiry date.

If the cruise is a 7 - 14 day trip including say - one of the cruise line private islands, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Grand Cayman, etc., I would think you would be fine.

We just renewed our passports 5 months before expiry, but that is because we are going on a 28 day cruise that does not return until the middle of April and they were due to expire in June. Far to close for comfort.

We hope you have a great trip. :)

I just renewed our passports--sent them via snail mail 2/5 and got them 2/26. Exactly 3 weeks. I did not request expedited service.
You can't count on that. Last year ours took 4.5 weeks.

Archived