Passport Expiration?

sr5242

we are leaving on the Ryndam at the end of March. My passport expires at the end of June. does anyone have any experience regarding passports and their expiration? our ports of call are belize, mahogany bay, and costa maya.

Thanks!

Most countries and cruise lines now insist on 6 months validity of your passport once you return home. I think for the cruise lines is in case you end up in a foreign country (eg in case of medical emergency) where this restriction applies.

Cheers

Michael

we are leaving on the Ryndam at the end of March. My passport expires at the end of June. does anyone have any experience regarding passports and their expiration? our ports of call are belize, mahogany bay, and costa maya.

Thanks!

What's the problem? Get it renewed...you have plenty of time. A current passport is valuable and there is no need to take risks in this day and age. You may sqeak by but why risk it? Just renew and go on your merry way with no worries.

Mahogany Bay is the one in Roatan, I presume. Those islands are part of Honduras.

The State Department page for Honduras

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html

states explicitly:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras.

Have a great cruise!:)

Mahogany Bay is the one in Roatan, I presume. Those islands are part of Honduras.

The State Department page for Honduras

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html

states explicitly:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras.

Have a great cruise!:)

Well, it doesn't get much clearer than that.

Smooth sailing...

DO NOT play games with this. I have traveled extensively globally for my job and have encountered this issue. Travel companies can deny you boarding if your travel documents do not meet the eligility requirements of the destination. You have plenty of time to renew the passport. Even if you need to pay for expidited services it is well worth it.

Would HAL pick this up as a problem when you are filling out your cruise documents on line? We leave in 10 days on our cruise and our passports expire in June and July. Wonder if there is some message in their software to let you know that you should not travel on passports that expire less than 6 months from your cruise :confused:

DO NOT play games with this. I have traveled extensively globally for my job and have encountered this issue. Travel companies can deny you boarding if your travel documents do not meet the eligility requirements of the destination. You have plenty of time to renew the passport. Even if you need to pay for expidited services it is well worth it.

You are correct.

When they say six months one shouldn't assume they don't really mean it. Now more than ever, travel, even leisure travel is serious business.

When you travel abroad today, just take it as read you need an up-to-date passport. Period. Full stop.

I wish everyone could read your post.

Smooth sailing...

Would HAL pick this up as a problem when you are filling out your cruise documents on line? We leave in 10 days on our cruise and our passports expire in June and July. Wonder if there is some message in their software to let you know that you should not travel on passports that expire less than 6 months from your cruise :confused:

I have seen people denied boarding because their documents were not in order. Certainly hope you have no problem.

In Boston, there is a Passport Office where people with close travel dates can get their passports renewed in a day. Maybe there is one near you? I also think I've heard of 'expetidors' who can get fast renewals for a fee.

Get it done now. It will cost you $75 and it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get your passport back. You can also pay an additional $60 and get expidited service that will have a turn around of 2 to 3 weeks. Just sent mine in for renewal this week. They also have a passport card available that will be good to take ashore when you want to leave your passbook back on the ship.

I agree with the others who said to get your passport renewed NOW.

You have plenty of time before your cruise.

That being said, I have to add that my daughter sailed with HAL in November and her passport expires in January. Since we were sailing the Caribbean, there was no problem - because she could have sailed using just her birth certificate and driver license.

I called HAL ahead of time and asked if there would be a problem with her about-to-expire passport and if she would be denied boarding. They told me no, she would not be denied.

She had been on an extended trip abroad in Sept/October and did not have sufficient time, once back in the states, to get her passport renewed before the cruise. [The cruise was very last minute for her, too.]

HALs website does give you this info. You can read it under Personal Travel Identification Requirements.

Rich

Although necessary for travelling, it's frustrating for us in Canada, as our passports are only good for 5 years. US passports are good for 10 years, at similar cost. If travelling 6 months before the expiration date, we would need to renew approximately 7 months before it expires. This would mean we get less than 4 1/2 years of use out of the passport, and then have to pay again for possibly only another 4 1/2 years, depending on travel plans.

Hi

In New Zealand we cannot leave the country if our passports have less than 6 mths left and we can also only renew for 5 years at a cost of $150 it used to be 10 years for $80,so its best for you to get it renewed then you won't have any problems

Sounds like you have a good price

:)

• 2 weeks later...
s;22503426]If you leave out a US port and end up in a US port your should be good to go...

Unless you miss the ship and you have to fly home or to the next port! :eek:

From the HAL website:

Personal Travel Identification Requirements

Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel. Having a passport will enable you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event you miss your scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if you need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency. PLEASE NOTE: it is your sole responsibility to obtain and have available the proper travel documents that are necessary for your travel, including all costs related to arrangements to obtain entry to countries you visit and re-entry to your destination country.

• 2 weeks later...

Your passport MUST be good for six months beyond the end of the cruise. Get on it right away. You still have time. Also, even if you didn't need to renew you always need to have enough blank pages for custom stamps.

They also have a passport card available that will be good to take ashore when you want to leave your passbook back on the ship.
Those cards are only good for land and sea border crossings, and would not enable you to fly home from anywhere if you have a problem. Better to leave the card in the safe and take the booklet ashore.

Since you have time get your passport renewed.

Since you are (presume) a USA citizen -- you need only proof of citizenship (passport) or birth certificate and legal ID to travel when you leave the US and return to the same port.

You need no documentation to leave the ship other than the ships cards. Last time (last week) at each of your ports -- they required only the ship card to get back on the dock.

The only problem is if you miss your ship or get sick it would require entrance/exit from the country which requires a passport.

So -- since you have time you should renew your passport.

Archived