Should I take Mexican Pesos or just use US Dollars?

sherry7

Hello all. We leave later this week for our Mexican Riviera cruise. Just wondering...should I take some Mexican Pesos onshore with me, or will US Dollars be fine?

If I get Mexican Pesos, what is the best option for getting them? I know the exchange rates at the airport places usually aren't that great. What about making a withdrawal from a Mexican ATM?

Thanks for any advice.

Wherever you go, they will take dollars. Just be sure to carry smaller bills with you as where all will take the USD, not all places will make change in USD.

Any of the larger stores will, but if you're like me and travel a bit off the beaten path (not too far tho).......you won't mind a few pesos.

Hold onto them and use them to pay the taxi if you use one or for a tip if you stop someplace to eat.

keep large USA bills in your cabin safe, change the large bills into 1's and 5's at the pursers desk on board, and smile as most cruisers use the on board ATM's to get 20's. Then enjoy the port with 1's and 5's. expect no change, and move on; and most importantly, take, with a grain of salt, all the following posts that will tell you that the locals are offended at USA bills over pesos (not true... personal opinion)

I always bring a some peso's for cabs and misc stuff. I exchange this week 12peso's to 1 dollars yesterday.

I get pesos from the ATM in Cabo, the first port for the Mariner of the Seas, to use for the rest of the ports. In the past the rate has been up to 14 per dollar which makes things a much better deal, that is, unless you come home with leftover pesos. :)

Thanks for the replies. :)

Seems like the "unofficial exchange rate" when using US Dollars is 10 to 1, right? How does that compare to paying the extra fees for getting Mexican Pesos?

I don't accept the 10 to 1 exchange unless they give me a good price on the stuff I am buying. Most of the bigger stores have a fair exchange rate built into their cash registers, and will usually give you pretty close to the bank or published rate. You can check the exchange rate on your computer before you go on your trip to see what is fair, and go from there.

I usually carry both pesos and dollars, and ask the seller which he prefers, and which will get me the best price.

Dollars were totally acceptable everywhere for our Nov trip, especially Cabo which is more Americanized than Redondo Beach. However, there is a money exchange booth just outside the security checkpoint both in Mazatlan and PV. Both were giving very fair rates of exchange. I got some pesos but ended up using most of them at the PV WalMart just to get rid of them before returning north.

This is a regularly-asked question on this forum, and you might want to search-out those prior discussions to see what was said. To make what could be a long response short - the Peso is the national currency and that's what I think you should use - not only because you'll not be the "ugly tourist" disrespecting Mexico, but things will almost always cost less when you use the national currency.

This is a regularly-asked question on this forum, and you might want to search-out those prior discussions to see what was said. To make what could be a long response short - the Peso is the national currency and that's what I think you should use - not only because you'll not be the "ugly tourist" disrespecting Mexico, but things will almost always cost less when you use the national currency.

I have to disagree with your comments about ugly tourists and disrespect.

Also, the prices in most places are neogotiable, and you can let the seller tell you which currency will get you the best price. The sellers appreciate the tourist's money, because that is what feeds their family.

It wasn't too many years ago that the exchange ratio was three thousand pesos to one dollar, and the Mexican gov't lopped off three zeros and made new money and made the exchange ratio three to one. They also tried to make it illegal to spend dollars in Mexico, but that didn't work. Now, the same money that was three to one is around thirteen to one.

The Mexican government may think it is disrespectful to spend dollars in Mexico, but the sellers don't think the same way.

Get pesos! And, get pesos! Also, you should get pesos!

At the acapulco port stand, the rate was 12.79 pesos for a dollar. Vendors will take the price of the item in pesos, move the decimal one place and take your dollars- that is 10-1. Do the math! Using peso's is like getting almost a 30% discount on everything! Heck, we ran out of pesos and I refused to pay cash for tequila because I could get the same price in the states.

My other bit of advice- go to a walmart for tequila and souvenoirs if you don't have pesos and use an amex card there. They will charge you in pesos, a very fair rate and the exchange fee is pretty cheap (I think it was like $.60 on a $50 purchase).

i read that there is a good currency exchange booth outside the security checkpoint in mazatlan and pv....what about cabo? that is our first port and i would like to bring pesos. should i try to exchange my $$ in the u.s. before going or wait to do it on shore?

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to get some pesos, there is a currency exchange booth in the Acapulco terminal. They give the official gov't rate and there is no service fee for changing dollars into pesos like a lot of places charge.

Thank you so much for this information. Our first port will be Acapulco, so I will get pesos to last me throughout the cruise. :)

Can we exchange for pesos here in the US?

Depending on where you are in the US, you may have to order them from a larger bank, such as Bank of America or Wells Fargo. They will charge you a fee to do so. There are exchanges in most major cities and at international airports, but you are probably going to find the exchange rate is not great. Unless you are planning on a lot of shopping, I would not worry about exchanging money. I've never had anyone in a Mexican port refuse to take US dollars (as someone else said, have small bills) or for larger establishments, a credit card.

If you want to get some pesos, there is a currency exchange booth in the Acapulco terminal. They give the official gov't rate and there is no service fee for changing dollars into pesos like a lot of places charge.

Do you mean at the airport? I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a place close to the port that will exchange dollars for pesos. Our bank is only giving about 11.5 to one and then I have to pay a fee to do it. I would rather just do it once we get off the boat in Acapulco but I don't know where to do it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

So I get that a lot of places in Mexico will accept the US dollars but what about when you're buying something at the WalMart or Sam's Club in PV? And if you have a Sam's membership would you be able to use your Sam's credit if you made a purchase there, thus not having to worry about using pesos or US $$?:confused:

Archived