Just back from New Years on the Oasis.

Just back from New Years on the Oasis. It was awesome!!!!! My family was originally set to cruise on the Freedom 12/27 sailing. It was overbooked and we were asked if we wouldn't mind switching to the 12/26 Oasis. We were given shipboard credit, my mom $700 and I $200, for our 'inconvenience'. We received two adjoining rooms overlooking the boardwalk neighborhood. We got so many free gifts throughout the week as well. Checking in received a nylon bag as a gift from Port Everglades, another night got an umbrella from housekeeping, a big, white Royal Carribean tote bag, three kinds of bags from Adventure Ocean, a beautiful, silver 8 x 10 frame with a picture of the ship, more pictures of the ship, Seatle's best coffee, anda cruise in review DVD with just the basic information, though it did have a clip of the New Year's Celebration.

It was incredible. I have read some complaints that people thought the ship was so big that they felt disconnected from the sea, like they weren't on a ship. I never felt like that. There were plenty of opportunities to feel connected to the sea I thought. Our rooms overlooked the Boardwalk neighborhood, but you could see the ocean to the aft part of the ship. Deck 5 and Decks 15 and 16 offered fine Ocean views.

After being on the Oasis, I can't imagine being on another ship. My family has already booked a New Year's cruise for next year on the Allure. There was so much to do that it was almost exhausting. I think it's best to accept that you won't be able to do everything. It's like staying at Disney. You have to take at least one day off from going to the parks to just relax. I wished I had just relaxed more and not tried to do everything.

Among the things I did was: see all of the shows, which were over the top, went ice skating on day 3 and day 7, took my daughter to the H2O zone a couple of times, took private lessons on the flow rider, Lisa and Yugo were awesome, went on the zip line three times, thanks to Alex and Roger for helping me get over my fear, had a private tour of Central Park with the ship's horticulturist, participated in scrapbooking classes, went to the three family festivals they had for kids at the boardwalk, road the carousel, ate at Johnny Rockets for breakfast once, lunch twice, ate at the Seafood shack once, made a pet at the Pet's at Sea shop, had late night pizza from Sorrento's and delicious desserts from Mondo's coffee shop many times. Met many people from South America, as there were many international travelers on this voyage.

New Years Eve in the Royal Promenade was so crowded that next year on the Allure, I will either go to the Schooner Bar or go to Dazzles. My parents got a table on the sidewalk of Sorrento's aroung 9pm. It was so crowded at midnight, that it just was not fun for my family. There were too many people pushing. I think most of the ship was there on Deck 5. Most of the time the ship never felt crowded because people were pretty well dispersed throughout the ship. This was not the case for New Year's though. Did see Howie Mandel a couple of tables away. Also saw Jane Seymour. She is one of the godmother's of the ship. She still looks amazing.

I'm glad to hear you and your family had a great time. :D:cool: Welcome back.:)

I too am booking a NYE sailing on either the Oasis or Allure. Hopefully, they'll have parties on the pool deck, royal promenade and boardwalk to disperse the crowds.

They had parties in many areas this New Year's but everyone seemed to think that the Royal Promenade was the place to be. One of the Adventure Ocean staff members said that staff members that were working in other lounges said there was hardly anyone in them.

They had parties in many areas this New Year's but everyone seemed to think that the Royal Promenade was the place to be. One of the Adventure Ocean staff members said that staff members that were working in other lounges said there was hardly anyone in them.

Oh wow! I was on the Dec 1st & 5th sailings and there were so many places in the evenings that were virtually empty. Maybe they'll figure something out to attract guests to other areas....:):cool:

Sounds like you managed to do quite a bit and have a blast. Boy, did you luck out with being asked if you "minded" being moved from Freedom to Oasis.

I wonder how long they are going to give out these goodies. I'm sailing in three weeks. Wouldn't mind having something "inaugural."

Wondering if you could answer a question. I see from some compasses posted that they have Royal Caribbean clothing sales the last day or two. Do you happen to know--is there any Oasis clothing there or just generalized RCI stuff? I want Oasis "stuff" and am willing to pay the price, but if it's on sale a few days later I won't be happy. On the other hand, if I know there will be do sale, I'll buy it right off for best selection. Thanks!

Glad that it all worked out for you and your family. Sounds like you made a great decision and RCI did good with the OBC to make the pot even sweeter.

It seems that the reviews coming back so far have been very good about this ship. I will be able to test her out myself in two weeks.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.:)

Braggstar,

I know for sure there was general RCI t-shirts on sale the last two days and I think there were some Oasis t-shirts on sale. For example, I think there was a white t-shirt that said "I 'heart' (with the heart in red) the Oasis" with the letters in black that was discounted the last two days at sea. I had wanted to get a t-shirt that said something about going on the zip line but then for some reason I didn't get it. I think I didn't get it because some of those nicer ones weren't on sale. Sorry I can't be 100% on that. If you are a Gold or Platinum or Diamond member, there is probably a coupon in the coupon book. For Platinum there was a 10% off RCI merchandise coupon that I used. I am sooo happpy to answer any other questions that people may have. Won't be online much the next couple of days, however, because unfortunately I have to drive back to NY state. Ughhhhh. I'm complaining about it being in the 50's down here but I know it's worse up there.

Sounds like a wonderful time! I am on the Jan 23 sailing and have a question. What was the process for going on the zip line? Did you need to make a reservation, or did you just go to the zip line area wait in line? If a reservation is needed, where did you go to get the reservation?

Thanks!

we were on the NYE cruise also and had a blast! We had a table at Schooner's bar and didn't have to deal with the crowd at all, and were right in front of the Rising Tide bar for the countdown. You definitely want to experience NYE on Allure from that location!!

What was the process for going on the zip line? Did you need to make a reservation, or did you just go to the zip line area wait in line? If a reservation is needed, where did you go to get the reservation?

Thanks!

Sign up on deck 15 as soon as you get on board because spaces will go fast. You can only sign up to ride 1 time during your cruise... Although I did read someone saying that if it's real slow, they got to go again.

I wonder how long they are going to give out these goodies. I'm sailing in three weeks. Wouldn't mind having something "inaugural."

I don't know if there would still be "inaugral" free stuff, but when we sailed the Freedom in the inaugeral year we were able to purchase it in the store. So I'd imagine you will at least get stuff indicating you were on the ship in it's inaugeral year.

I don't know if there would still be "inaugral" free stuff, but when we sailed the Freedom in the inaugeral year we were able to purchase it in the store. So I'd imagine you will at least get stuff indicating you were on the ship in it's inaugeral year.

Hi,

It sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. What was the best restaurant experience that you had while on board? Any restaurants that you wouldn't go to again?

When you get recovered from your trip, I would really appreciate it if you would post up on the cabin thread I started to help add to the list, so that future Oasis cruisers can pick the location and cabin that is best for them. The thread is located here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1093515

Thanks for posting your impressions of the ship.

KK

Sounds like a wonderful time! I am on the Jan 23 sailing and have a question. What was the process for going on the zip line? Did you need to make a reservation, or did you just go to the zip line area wait in line? If a reservation is needed, where did you go to get the reservation?

Thanks!

You need to make a reservation for the zip line (which you should definitely do early in the week, as it does fill up). You can make a reservation at the counter between the two flow riders.

Archived