Radiance Thanksgiving Cruise Review

kkorman

I can understand your surprise at seeing this roof out your balcony and wishing to find out if you could have been moved to another cabin.

Although I wouldn't consider this a full obstruction, I would consider it to be a partial obstruction with an explanation.

My husband and I cruised on the Radiance in early November and I am such a nit picky person about our cabins, much to my husband's dismay, that when I booked our 8th deck E-1 balcony cabin, in February, I had read about this roof on the 7th floor and looked at as many pictures as I could find and that is when I chose a deck higher, as I don't think I would have liked that roof outside my balcony either, because of the view and because I had horrors of some workman on that roof if I should happen to be out enjoying my morning coffee in my bathrobe, as we did every morning.

I have to tell you that being up just one floor, that roof was not as bothersome and when we sat on our balcony the view outward was quite unabstructed.

We will be sailing on the Radiance again February 1 and since I picked a Grand suite for us this time, which are on deck 10, this roof will even be more of an issue this time. However now I'm just worried about the noise from the upper deck.

And I do think you should have been treated kinder at Guest Services, since you were just inquiring. I sometimes think they only have one answer to a changing cabin question and that is "The ship is full." Used to be they just put a sign on the desk to that effect, but I never believed that in over 40 cruises that we have been on.

Enjoy your cruise on the Oasis. I have to be honest though, we cruised on the Mariner last June and that is as big as I want to go. :eek: My husband says he would like to cruise the Oasis, but as long as I'm in charge of booking our cruises, it will never happen.

I can understand your surprise at seeing this roof out your balcony and wishing to find out if you could have been moved to another cabin.

Although I wouldn't consider this a full obstruction, I would consider it to be a partial obstruction with an explanation.

My husband and I cruised on the Radiance in early November and I am such a nit picky person about our cabins, much to my husband's dismay, that when I booked our 8th deck E-1 balcony cabin, in February, I had read about this roof on the 7th floor and looked at as many pictures as I could find and that is when I chose a deck higher, as I don't think I would have liked that roof outside my balcony either, because of the view and because I had horrors of some workman on that roof if I should happen to be out enjoying my morning coffee in my bathrobe, as we did every morning.

I have to tell you that being up just one floor, that roof was not as bothersome and when we sat on our balcony the view outward was quite unabstructed.

We will be sailing on the Radiance again February 1 and since I picked a Grand suite for us this time, which are on deck 10, this roof will even be more of an issue this time. However now I'm just worried about the noise from the upper deck.

And I do think you should have been treated kinder at Guest Services, since you were just inquiring. I sometimes think they only have one answer to a changing cabin question and that is "The ship is full." Used to be they just put a sign on the desk to that effect, but I never believed that in over 40 cruises that we have been on.

Enjoy your cruise on the Oasis. I have to be honest though, we cruised on the Mariner last June and that is as big as I want to go. :eek: My husband says he would like to cruise the Oasis, but as long as I'm in charge of booking our cruises, it will never happen.

I did not mean 100% obstructed... what I said is that RCI said it was 100% un-obstructed.

I did not mean 100% obstructed... what I said is that RCI said it was 100% un-obstructed.

Ha ha, that made me laugh about your booking the Oasis :) I guess your husband is pretty laid back to just go with the flow?

Oh we didn't conciser this a fully obstructed, we definitely thought it was partial for sure. It should just be noted so people are aware when they or their TA book their room.

I'm sure a deck 10 cabin would be really nice. Of course if we book this class again (and for the record I can totally see going on this class ship again) I would want a bump balcony or a much higher stateroom.

Have fun on your next trip with Radiance! :)

Ha ha, that made me laugh about your booking the Oasis :) I guess your husband is pretty laid back to just go with the flow?

Oh we didn't conciser this a fully obstructed, we definitely thought it was partial for sure. It should just be noted so people are aware when they or their TA book their room.

I'm sure a deck 10 cabin would be really nice. Of course if we book this class again (and for the record I can totally see going on this class ship again) I would want a bump balcony or a much higher stateroom.

Have fun on your next trip with Radiance! :)

Fellas, allow me to simplify this matter. First, we would never have booked this type of cabin; hence, we would not have had this "problem" Secondly, I had no intention of bashing you folks. Thirdly, you were the ones who presented this situation; and, I simply suggested that it would not have been a problem for us. In other words, I would have had no problem with the cruise personnel, since I would never have visited them for a cabin change, unless it would have been an attempt to upgrade with an additional cost for us. Did you attempt to upgrade at an additional cost to you?

Fellas, allow me to simplify this matter. First, we would never have booked this type of cabin; hence, we would not have had this "problem" Secondly, I had no intention of bashing you folks. Thirdly, you were the ones who presented this situation; and, I simply suggested that it would not have been a problem for us. In other words, I would have had no problem with the cruise personnel, since I would never have visited them for a cabin change, unless it would have been an attempt to upgrade with an additional cost for us. Did you attempt to upgrade at an additional cost to you?

Never thought you were bashing...

The upgrade was not an option as the ship was full, but would have had we known of this obstruction.

Never thought you were bashing...

The upgrade was not an option as the ship was full, but would have had we known of this obstruction.

Hey Guys nice review sorry to hear about your partially obstructed view balcony cabin

We booked on the hump specifically because of what I had read and what former Radiance cruisers had suggested

Now from the hump 7602 I couldnt see all the way straight down to the water due to the cleaning track but it was better than your view I didnt know it was that close to the life boats

Customer service was a little slow and frustrating as any other of the 5 cruise lines Ive been on.... Plain and simple the manager was delegating authority and didnt want to deal with you

I didnt get to meet youy at the meet 'n' mingle I thought it was fun and the gift exchange was great We met quite alot of other people and had a great time We kept on running into a few of the couples the whole cruise it was nice

1 question about Zihua (My favorite port always) you said you went to Playa las Gatas are you sure since they have water taxi with set rate The other beach is Playa La Ropa and the fares there can vary

Good luck with the OASIS thats something i have no interest in for now unless it went to port ive allready seen Oh wait it does Ok when the price drops in 3 years maybe but I prefer ships the Radiance or Spirt class ships of Carnival

Oh Im enviuos of your black card and the free minibar set-up Ill get there one day

Hey Guys nice review sorry to hear about your partially obstructed view balcony cabin

We booked on the hump specifically because of what I had read and what former Radiance cruisers had suggested

Now from the hump 7602 I couldnt see all the way straight down to the water due to the cleaning track but it was better than your view I didnt know it was that close to the life boats

Customer service was a little slow and frustrating as any other of the 5 cruise lines Ive been on.... Plain and simple the manager was delegating authority and didnt want to deal with you

I didnt get to meet youy at the meet 'n' mingle I thought it was fun and the gift exchange was great We met quite alot of other people and had a great time We kept on running into a few of the couples the whole cruise it was nice

1 question about Zihua (My favorite port always) you said you went to Playa las Gatas are you sure since they have water taxi with set rate The other beach is Playa La Ropa and the fares there can vary

Good luck with the OASIS thats something i have no interest in for now unless it went to port ive allready seen Oh wait it does Ok when the price drops in 3 years maybe but I prefer ships the Radiance or Spirt class ships of Carnival

Oh Im enviuos of your black card and the free minibar set-up Ill get there one day

My bad it was La Ropa. I mixed them up from the beginning. Yes, there were a few taxi issues, but it worked out.

The prices are very high for Oasis and we got a great deal when we booked it 15 months ago. Our sailing in Sept is starting at 1800 for an inside (and they are only guar cabins for inside and out) It also looks like all ocean facing balconies are sold out. We are just doing this for the ship and are very excited to see what it has to offer.

The black card does have it's perks... but I like different experiences, though I have been in this RCL Princess RCL Princess cycle. Princess for itineraries and RCl for their ships.

I did like the Spirit class ships... though I just have not had a stellar Carnival experience my past few times, so have been staying away... aside from an occasional booze cruise. ;)

I suppose we should have stayed a bit longer for the meet and greet, but it just did not seem to be going anywhere and felt it was not conducive to meeting.

My bad it was La Ropa. I mixed them up from the beginning. Yes, there were a few taxi issues, but it worked out.

The prices are very high for Oasis and we got a great deal when we booked it 15 months ago. Our sailing in Sept is starting at 1800 for an inside (and they are only guar cabins for inside and out) It also looks like all ocean facing balconies are sold out. We are just doing this for the ship and are very excited to see what it has to offer.

The black card does have it's perks... but I like different experiences, though I have been in this RCL Princess RCL Princess cycle. Princess for itineraries and RCl for their ships.

I did like the Spirit class ships... though I just have not had a stellar Carnival experience my past few times, so have been staying away... aside from an occasional booze cruise. ;)

I suppose we should have stayed a bit longer for the meet and greet, but it just did not seem to be going anywhere and felt it was not conducive to meeting.

Nice review. Sorry about your room issues. I don't normally go to shows either but did on my 12/11/09 Radiance. It was great. Glad you just got over it and enjoyed yourself. Sounds like you have the right attitude. I was in an inside, but if I thought I had something I didn't I would also be disappointed.

Candi

Good review; thanks for posting. What a shame that RCCL doesn't categorize those cabins correctly. They should absolutely be categorized as partially obstructed.

This thread is going to help a lot of people!

I'm sorry to the OP about the cabin choice. In exchange for the view, I believe you did have a bit of an extension on your balcony vs. the other balcony decks.

We just got off the Radiance and I chose a deck 7 forward cabin for the extra extension and I really liked it. Of course the forward cabins don't have the glaring life boat covers to look down at. ;)

I also noticed the guest relations desk to be a bit off. I took my $10 internet coupon to the desk and the officer asked me if I was just going to stand there.:confused: She said it would take her a min to apply the credit, and she no longer needed me. (by the way, I never did receive the credit):( I chalked it up to the holiday stress level.

Just so you know, I've had internet problems on this ship recently - I've been on it 3 times since October. Sometimes the credit doesn't show up when I know it was added. Other times, guest relations has to clear my account so I can reset up my name and password - it just wouldn't allow me to log in or reset it myself.

Sometimes I think that certain people who don't have English as their first language also word things that can be misinterpreted so I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

For instance, someone I know well on the ship (so I knew he didn't mean it the way it sounded) told me one evening that "you never looked this good". Which in English wouldn't be the way you'd tell someone, "you've never looked better". I taught him the proper way to say it so no one would mistakenly be offended by the way he expressed it. We still laugh about this and he taught me how to say something in Spanish to a friend that you'd never say to someone who is a casual acquaintance.

When that person asked if you were "going to just stand there", I would probably think they just meant "you don't need to wait".

It's got to be hard to work 7 days a week. I'm surprised there aren't more grouches working on ships.

Gina

I might be one of the rare ones who thinks those lifeboat covers don't look so great from deck 10 either. And the overhang on deck 10 is annoying when I'm trying to take a picture from my balcony of the ports...I don't want that thing in my pictures. This is just the design of the ship so I accept it.

But....I had one of those window cleaning ladders right off of my balcony and I had no idea it was considered an obstruction because I didn't notice it at all until one night when it kept clanging and banging because some ropes weren't secured. That was cabin 1030 I think and it is listed as obstructed. I never considered it to be an obstruction.

Gina

Gina, I agree with your observations. By the way, if my memory serves me I believe that the area these fellas are concerned about is the same area where that fellow met his demise (or went missing) while on his honemoon a few years ago.

You are correct Jack. That is the place where they found the blood, which I beleive was the Brilliance of the Seas.

Gina, I agree with your observations. By the way, if my memory serves me I believe that the area these fellas are concerned about is the same area where that fellow met his demise (or went missing) while on his honemoon a few years ago.

In fact, every time I look down on the tops of those lifeboats from deck 10, I think of that guy on Brilliance of the Seas.

Too bad they didn't design this beautiful class of ships with the lifeboats tucked into the sides.

Gina

I booked cabin #7608 which is just at the back end of the hump with a slightly deeper balcony. I knew from reading these threads that we would have a lifeboat cover barring our view straight down, and upon asking about it some nice lady even posted a picture from the time she was in that very cabin. This will be our first balcony ever, only because the price was unbelievably low. We may never be able to have another one.... So, I will be happy with this balcony no matter what !

Archived