Early arrival or not?

We booked our first cruise leaving out of Bayonne, NJ in February. We are debating whether or not to arrive at the Port as early as we can (that means we'd take that day off from work) Are there any advantages to this? Obviously it'd be too cold to go to the pool area.

Is there anything else to do on the ship until it departs? We are thinking to just leave work early (and saving a vacation day for our next cruise) and get to the port about 90 mins before departure time.

Thank you for your help.

YIKES! do NOT wait until 90 minutes before any traffic delays or anything and you won't be boarding. You MUST be on board 90 minutes before or you will not be allowed by Homeland Security rules.

You can board at about noon and go have lunch and tour the ship. You are paying for that first day so you should use it.

our first cruise we or I was soo excited, eager that we got the first shuttle to the port at 10 am and waited until they let us on, we watched the sad faces of people who were leaving and were one of the first ones on, got to the windjammer before the crowds enjoyed lunch then went exploring

been over 17 cruises and we still go early

As Sue said, you need to on board at the latest, 3 PM if the ship sails at 5PM. I don't know how far you are from the Port, if your close enough to drive, then work maybe 1/2 day but honestly I would try and get that day off, arrive at the Cruise Terminal around noon or 1 PM to relax and enjoy the time on board. need to consider traffic delays, so earlier the better. My husband & I are a little over 2 hrs from the San Diego Port, but still come in the day before for any port. It gives us a chance to meet up with our Roll call and take shuttle in next AM.

So glad you wrote and mentioned your plans - imagine if you had shown up at 3:30! Yikes!

Explorer is a magnificent ship, and I encourage you to get to the pier early and enjoy all she has to offer. As others have mentioned, you can be on board as early as noon, enjoying your first of many buffets, and check out your ship. One of the first things we like to do is to find our dining room table (you will see it on your SeaPass card); it's just fun and something we look forward to doing.

You'll need a day or two to get your bearings and the first day can help you as it won't be fully crowded yet (the crowd in the Windjammer buffet is heaviest at Embarkation Lunch - don't worry!). You can take lots of pictures and just be together, enjoying each other and the start of your vacation together.

Have fun!

I agree with Sue L - don't cut it close. You MUST be there by 3:30. You're paying for that whole day. We try to board early and have a leisurely lunch in the WJ while watching the port activity. Rooms are ready at 1:30. The afternoon is to thoroughly explore the whole ship and settle any details like dining room table assignment, excursions, specialty restaurant reservations, etc. The hot tub in the fitness center should be open - perhaps the outside hot tubs as well. On the Royal Promenade there will be all sorts of tables set up to sell things and to give out raffle tickets for the raffle. There will be a life boat drill followed by the sailaway at 5 pm. Be sure you have a good winter coat, hat and gloves so you can be out on deck to sail under the Verrazano. The Explorer is a big ship. As first time cruisers you should have plenty to keep you busy all afternoon.

Thank you for all your help and a quick reply! We are going to take the day off and get there early to enjoy all the ship has to offer. :)

Good decision! I recommend getting there by 11 a.m. so you can maximize your time on the ship. Explore, explore, and explore!

We always get there early. We don't like queueing (Standing in line is what you say in the USA)and relax in our stateroom until our luggage arrives.

Ha ha !

I'm glad you explained what that word meant.

I have seen it several times over the past few days..... over on TripAdvisor, and I wasn't sure what it meant,

and was puzzled that so many people were using it ! :)

Archived