Low Carb -- Will Princess Accommodate in Dining Room

Bernbun29

I (thankfully) have been very successful on a low carb diet but do not find this as a choice on the dinner choices, does anyone if Princess will accommodate? Thanks -- and if this information is available elsewhere, forgive me for posting and point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!!

I (thankfully) have been very successful on a low carb diet but do not find this as a choice on the dinner choices, does anyone if Princess will accommodate? Thanks -- and if this information is available elsewhere, forgive me for posting and point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!!

You can check the cruise personalizer on princess.com and see if there's this option. If not, you can ask the waiter for his recommendations.

Some years ago, my hubby was told he had borderline high cholesterol, so I marked that option (or low fat) on the cp. The head waiter came over every night at dinner and had hubby pick out his entree for the next night. The galley staff would cook his entree (and the other special requests like that) without fatty sauces, etc. It was a bother for hubby as he had to decide ahead of time what he wanted to eat, though, and the next cruise, he decided just to wing it by ordering the low fat items indicated on the menus.

Another option for you (again if not an option on the cp) is to fax or email a request to Princess and see if they can suggest a way to stick with your diet.

You can check the cruise personalizer on princess.com and see if there's this option. If not, you can ask the waiter for his recommendations.

Some years ago, my hubby was told he had borderline high cholesterol, so I marked that option (or low fat) on the cp. The head waiter came over every night at dinner and had hubby pick out his entree for the next night. The galley staff would cook his entree (and the other special requests like that) without fatty sauces, etc. It was a bother for hubby as he had to decide ahead of time what he wanted to eat, though, and the next cruise, he decided just to wing it by ordering the low fat items indicated on the menus.

Another option for you (again if not an option on the cp) is to fax or email a request to Princess and see if they can suggest a way to stick with your diet.

Yes, absolutely.

On the first evening ask your waiter to have the head waiter stop by your table and explain your special diet needs to him.

The head waiters have the special responsibility to meet these needs and will give advice, usually bring the next night's menu to see if there are entrees that meet your needs, or have special food cooked in the galley for your needs.

We have never had a bit of problem having special dietary needs met on Princess and the head waiters have been tremendous.

Yes, absolutely.

On the first evening ask your waiter to have the head waiter stop by your table and explain your special diet needs to him.

The head waiters have the special responsibility to meet these needs and will give advice, usually bring the next night's menu to see if there are entrees that meet your needs, or have special food cooked in the galley for your needs.

We have never had a bit of problem having special dietary needs met on Princess and the head waiters have been tremendous.

Like you, I too have lost weight on this diet (50lbs) and one of my tricks (and I am sure yours) is to find a way to eat everywhere we go. I have seen the menus first hand and there is plenty to satisfy your needs. I on the other hand am going to not diet for my two weeks cruise and resume it when I return home. After paying for first class, I am going to live it:D

Like you, I too have lost weight on this diet (50lbs) and one of my tricks (and I am sure yours) is to find a way to eat everywhere we go. I have seen the menus first hand and there is plenty to satisfy your needs. I on the other hand am going to not diet for my two weeks cruise and resume it when I return home. After paying for first class, I am going to live it:D

We maintained a South Beach diet on one cruise just by our own selection of the offerings on the menu and in the buffet lines.

Most of the time we will lose weight on the cruise as a result of watching what we eat, while enjoying good food, and the fact we get more exercise on a cruise, choosing active excursions such as snorkeling, and doing a fair amount of dancing and walking onboard.

Our personal chemistry allows us to even partake of the great dinner rolls and desserts they have and still lose weight - so for us it is not so much rigid adherence to a diet, but more management of how and what we eat, including such things as a mid afternoon salad as a snack. However it works for you, be sure to enjoy your vacation !

There's always several salad selections every night, including my favourite, the caesar salad! Appies come in all ranges but believe me, you can find something for a second course. There's also a ton of protein choices for dinner and if the protein comes with a starch, ask for them to leave it off, or add more veggies. Dessert is a bit more of a challenge...

The buffet is a low carb dream. Just be sure to walk past all the bread stuffs (muffins, banana bread, croissants). Lots of eggs, lox, bacon, ham, sausage. The best part, imo, is not having to cook all that food!

I have eaten this way as well, and never find it too hard to adjust my orders at most places, land or sea. I just skip the bread basket, and ask that no rice or potato or noodles go on my place, but instead ask for extra veggies.

I do think you should allow yourself a few treats,, although I do understand when really low carbing it you shouldn't ,, but what the heck,, you only cruise once a year ( ok , some of you are lucky bums,, we are all jealous,, LOL) so enjoy.

I don't think you'll need to talk with the chef about a high protein diet. As others have already mentioned, it's easy to make selections from the existing menu. Think about how he eats when you go to a restaurant at home. It's easier on the ship. The cruise staff will be even more accomodating with getting your husband exactly what he wants to meet his dietary needs.

There's a meat/protein served every night and you can add the veggie or salad. Let your server know not to put the rice/potatos or gravy on the plate. There are items that are not part of that night's menu available at every meal...steak, fish, caesar salad, etc.; so there's always a backup item he can order if there's nothing appealing on the menu.

Archived