Equinox, just back, review written, any questions?

Cruizlovers

We just, well not just, but recently took the Equinox Ultimate Caribbean from December 14-24th. I've already submitted a review and it's been published today. Since I've gotten such a wealth of information from CC members before my cruise (and some chuckles too), I wanted to offer to answer any questions I could, now that I am post cruise. Thank you CC for providing me some great info before my cruise. I'd be happy to return the favor, any questions?

As for the smell....we were told by several people that it was from the insulation in the walls. It occasionally gets wet from drips and condensation from pipes and smells like urine/ammonia. It's very hard to fix too since it's in a lot of areas that cannot be easily reached. That's why you see the cabin attendants spraying air freshener in the corridors.

Great review - we leave next week - can't wait!

I am just wondering - since you mentioned the lobster, do you remember which night they offered it? Since we don't want to miss it if we dine at a specialty restaurant instead.

I think in the past if has been served on the formal nights.

Were there any deck parties at night?

cruiselvr: Thanks! The lobster was served the night before the final night, it was the second formal night. Usually the lobster is a puny little thing no bigger than a large shrimp, but this one was very tasty and a nice sized. Although... I did order a double tail for my hubby, he protested at first (ha) and was glad I did. Lobster was great, deck parties ... not so much! One windy night, there was a band that was attempting to play (whilst the singer was trying to hold her her song papers down) there were about three people there. Too windy that night but I did not see any other deck parties but I may have missed them but they were definately not a regular happening. Enjoy, make your own fun! We did!

They said you had one shot at express departure, we had to be in the showroom at 7:15 a.m. and they said you would be off within 30 minutes. You had to sign up before and they said only those who signed up would be allowed off. Don't know if that was true but we were off quickly.

We were on the cruise just before you (21/4 -14). Sorry you missed all the great entertainment that was around the rest of the ship. These Guys -- the a capella group -- was great, as were the jazz quartet, the string quartet, and the fellow at the piano bar in Michael's Club. There were also two late night comedians on our cruise. You should have walked on deck 5 instead of the upper decks.

I found the elite coupons far better than the current diamond ones on RCCL. In addition to the three hours of free internet, the two bags of free laundry and the free dry cleaning allowed us to pack less.

Regular debarkation ran very smoothly also. We went to the appointed spot at the time we were told (which was what we had requested) and walked off the ship and found our luggage very quickly.

BTW, I also have a review posted.

Alan

I enjoyed reading your balanced review. Makes me feel really lazy for not finishing my own review yet. I totally agree with your assessment of the entertainment on Equinox. Some of it was downright lame! They really do need to consider those under 65, at least at the later shows.

Thanks, Librarylady: Although the previous poster did list some other entertainment that we did NOT miss, these were fine but just not our cup of tea. As mentioned, for an older crowd. Again, no offense intended to the previous poster. The late night comedians were ok but twice I was unable to get into the room because it was too crowded. This would indicate to me that the more exciting entertainment was much needed as you suggest.

We are on the same cruise this March and thanks for the great review.

We are both in our early 30's so I am concerned that it will be very quiet but am still looking forward to it as its our first cruise.

Can you confirm that the formal nights are the 2nd and 9th night?

Also did you take any other excursions apart from the two mentioned in your review?

Thanks

Can you tell me what the Fitness Centre looks like? Do they have quite a varity of treadmills, stairmasters, etc. and do they not only have universal weight systems, but individual weights as well?

Also, did anyone use walkie talkies? We are 3 couples going and I was thinking it would be a good way to communicate where we/they are when on the ship?

Thanks everyone for their reviews,

Cheers,

We are on the same cruise this March and thanks for the great review.

We are both in our early 30's so I am concerned that it will be very quiet but am still looking forward to it as its our first cruise.

Can you confirm that the formal nights are the 2nd and 9th night?

Also did you take any other excursions apart from the two mentioned in your review?

Thanks

Yes, the formal nights are on the second and ninth night. Don't miss the lobster on the last night. We did the BOSS Underwater excursion in St. Thomas. It was fun but pricey. That said, if you have snorkeled or if you dive, you will be disappointed in this excursion, in my opinion. It's kind of a novelty to ride the scooters and kind of cool thing to do but I wouldn't do it again. We've snorkeled in Cozumel which was wonderful but the quantity of fish at the scooter site is just ok, really you are paying for the novelty of the underwater scooters. We took a cab to Rockley beach in Barbados, which was nice. These were the only excursions we did.

Can you tell me what the Fitness Centre looks like? Do they have quite a varity of treadmills, stairmasters, etc. and do they not only have universal weight systems, but individual weights as well?

Also, did anyone use walkie talkies? We are 3 couples going and I was thinking it would be a good way to communicate where we/they are when on the ship?

Thanks everyone for their reviews,

Cheers,

Hubby said fitness center is nice but said that some folks got cranky if you stayed on a treadmill more than 30 minutes, not sure about weights. We were two couples and really don't think you need walkie talkies unless you need to be tied to the hip to each other. We never had a problem finding each other.

Archived