Carnival Dream A Nightmare 12/26/2009

ve3ell

We were scheduled to sail on the Carnival Dream Dec 26 2009.Our flight from Toronto on Westjet 1228 was delayed by 2 hours when they decided to do a full security check at the gate only 45 minutes before takeoff.Instead of leaving at 10:30 am we finally left at 1230pm.I called the carnival hotline to let them know about the delay and they said to call on arrival at Orlando.We arrived in Orlando at 318pm so I called Carnival right away since we did not see anyone at the airport.Our ship was to depart at 4pm.The rep at Carnival said we would not be able to get on the ship.Carnival booked 2 nights for us at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Orlando Airport.We had to pay for the Hotel and our meals then when we got on board ,Carnival gave us an onboard credit for the costs.They booked us a flight on Monday Dec.28 to fly at 9am to Houston from Orlando then at 1137 am to fly Houston to Cozumel.We arrived in Cozumel at 2pm.We got on a shuttle which cost 8$ each to near the ship dock.We walked past the stores to the security gates at the dock.No Carnival Rep was there to great us as promissed in a telephone conversation earlier.The security at the gate filled out some form for us and told us we could go to the ship.We dragged our 4 suitcases to the ship.Outside the ship another security person took our names and told us to wait.About 15 minutes later he came back and told us to come onboard to the persurs desk.It was now almost 4pm so we did not have time to explore Cozumel at all.So now we missed the sailing ,the day at sea and the day in Cozumel.We went for dinner only to find out they had given our table away.We were given another table near the coffee machines and told we would have a table for two the next day.The next morning we got a card under the door indicating we had our original table back.We went for dinner and sat at that table only to be told we could not sit there.After some waiting they gave us another table for two.Our problems were not over.During the night I heard a lot of banging from the balcony.The door between our balcony and the next one had a loose latch.I jammed the rubber door stop in it to stop the movement.We had room 2400 which on the ship card was under the Galley.It was noisy from about 4am until 1am each night.The people next to us smoked in thier room and on thier balcony much to our displeasure.We also noticed that people seated on the Lido deck next to the grill and sandwich bar were smoking.Because of that we did not eat at either location.The drinks on the ship are very pricey.It cost $20. for 2 Margaritas.On shore we found the beer prices had been jacked up since our last visit as they are now $3.50 plus each depending on what type of beer you drink.One store was selling 1L liquor at 2 for $50. The ship price was 2 for $34. We are hoping to get a reimbursement from Carnival for the days we lost on the ship.Even if our flight had been on time,we would have been on board about 230 to 3pm.I dont understand why we were booked on such a late flight by Carnival.Our flight back home left Orlando at 130pm,arrived in Atlanta at 254pm then flew to Toronto at 6pm arriving about 715 pm.I have sent Carnival a detailed letter about our experience with the cruise on the Dream.I will let you all know how it works out.I am not holding my breathe on this one though.

sounds like they really helped you out of a bad spot....kudos to you for not letting a weather delay get you down...really cool of carnival to set you up with airfare and hotel rooms...im sure carnival will appreciate your note to them about a job well done

When we fly (we are in Vancouver) to get to our departure city we ALWAYS fly at least a day early. In fact, for our next cruise we are leaving Vancouver on a Saturday for a Monday afternoon departure in Miami.

Now, I understand your disappointment. I was wondering...who booked your flight from Toronto? You or Carnival?

We were scheduled to sail on the Carnival Dream Dec 26 2009.Our flight from Toronto on Westjet 1228 was delayed by 2 hours when they decided to do a full security check at the gate only 45 minutes before takeoff.Instead of leaving at 10:30 am we finally left at 1230pm.I called the carnival hotline to let them know about the delay and they said to call on arrival at Orlando.We arrived in Orlando at 318pm so I called Carnival right away since we did not see anyone at the airport.Our ship was to depart at 4pm.The rep at Carnival said we would not be able to get on the ship.Carnival booked 2 nights for us at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Orlando Airport.We had to pay for the Hotel and our meals then when we got on board ,Carnival gave us an onboard credit for the costs.They booked us a flight on Monday Dec.28 to fly at 9am to Houston from Orlando then at 1137 am to fly Houston to Cozumel.We arrived in Cozumel at 2pm.We got on a shuttle which cost 8$ each to near the ship dock.We walked past the stores to the security gates at the dock.No Carnival Rep was there to great us as promissed in a telephone conversation earlier.The security at the gate filled out some form for us and told us we could go to the ship.We dragged our 4 suitcases to the ship.Outside the ship another security person took our names and told us to wait.About 15 minutes later he came back and told us to come onboard to the persurs desk.It was now almost 4pm so we did not have time to explore Cozumel at all.So now we missed the sailing ,the day at sea and the day in Cozumel.We went for dinner only to find out they had given our table away.We were given another table near the coffee machines and told we would have a table for two the next day.The next morning we got a card under the door indicating we had our original table back.We went for dinner and sat at that table only to be told we could not sit there.After some waiting they gave us another table for two.Our problems were not over.During the night I heard a lot of banging from the balcony.The door between our balcony and the next one had a loose latch.I jammed the rubber door stop in it to stop the movement.We had room 2400 which on the ship card was under the Galley.It was noisy from about 4am until 1am each night.The people next to us smoked in thier room and on thier balcony much to our displeasure.We also noticed that people seated on the Lido deck next to the grill and sandwich bar were smoking.Because of that we did not eat at either location.The drinks on the ship are very pricey.It cost $20. for 2 Margaritas.On shore we found the beer prices had been jacked up since our last visit as they are now $3.50 plus each depending on what type of beer you drink.One store was selling 1L liquor at 2 for $50. The ship price was 2 for $34. We are hoping to get a reimbursement from Carnival for the days we lost on the ship.Even if our flight had been on time,we would have been on board about 230 to 3pm.I dont understand why we were booked on such a late flight by Carnival.Our flight back home left Orlando at 130pm,arrived in Atlanta at 254pm then flew to Toronto at 6pm arriving about 715 pm.I have sent Carnival a detailed letter about our experience with the cruise on the Dream.I will let you all know how it works out.I am not holding my breathe on this one though.

Carnival air program basically sucks. Many times you get lousy flight times and their price is often very high. My advice is that in the future book your own flights a day in advance to take care of late flights/mechanical issues etc for the peace of mind. I don't know why they would book you on a flight that tight considering the weather/time of year. I swear sometimes the logic behind carnivals various programs and poor customer service leaves me shaking my head. Again take out the middleman (carnival) and make your own arrangements for flights/hotels/transfers you will be glad you did.

Were your flights booked through Carnival? If so, then I agree that they should reimburse you for the time you missed on board and the day in Cozumel. But the lesson learned is to never fly in on the day of departure, especially during the winter.

I'm sorry that you had so many problems and I hope your next vacation goes better.

sounds like they really helped you out of a bad spot....kudos to you for not letting a weather delay get you down...really cool of carnival to set you up with airfare and hotel rooms...im sure carnival will appreciate your note to them about a job well done[/quote

Are you for real? Obviosly they booked with carnivals air program since carnival hooked them up with the flights to eventually get to cozumel and also hotels. That is the guarantee they provide with their air program. The incompetent carnival employee who booked such a tight flight from Toronto in the middle of winter should be fired IMO.

ve3ell.....did you ever hear back about the lengthy letter you sent to Princess cruiselines....???

After the lung infection from the overbleached water I'm surprised you didn't purchase cruise insurance:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but who made your flight arrangements and did you not look at them....do you know orlando doesn't have a port..so you had a good hour ride to port canaveral?:confused: Why should carnival had held up the ship for your poor planning...

Sorry...just don't get it....

I wonder why they wouldnt let you on the ship. Everything was running late for departure and we didnt even get to the muster drill until after 4. Then it was probably a good 45 mins before we left, so we were physically there long enough for you to get to canaveral from MCO. Maybe security wouldnt allow it. Im sorry you had a bad trip. We were a few cabins down from you in 2437/2439 and we smelled the smoke intermittently throughout the trip and agree it was rough. And we also heard the galley "symphony" off and on at different times. It sounded sometimes like they were dropping pots on the floor for fun, but overall it wasnt too bad. Sorry about your bad trip :(

ve3ell.....did you ever hear back about the lengthy letter you sent to Princess cruiselines....???

After the lung infection from the overbleached water I'm surprised you didn't purchase cruise insurance:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but who made your flight arrangements and did you not look at them....do you know orlando doesn't have a port..so you had a good hour ride to port canaveral?:confused: Why should carnival had held up the ship for your poor planning...

flights where booked by carnival not OPs issue thats carnival fault should get some back for the missed time

Were your flights booked through Carnival? If so, then I agree that they should reimburse you for the time you missed on board and the day in Cozumel. But the lesson learned is to never fly in on the day of departure, especially during the winter.

I'm sorry that you had so many problems and I hope your next vacation goes better.

Another lesson...and it is unfortunate that this is so....don't book a balcony....because that is what most of the smokers book...to do just that...smoke:mad:

I am sure the posters could debate my statement ad nauseum...but it is still true:(

CARNIVAL made the flight arrangements through their air program. It is not the OPs fault but it is their problem when CARNIVAL books them on a very iffy flight to Orlando to make the ship on time with an afternoon arrival to Orlando then about an hour transfer to port Canaveral.

I wonder why they wouldnt let you on the ship. Everything was running late for departure and we didnt even get to the muster drill until after 4. Then it was probably a good 45 mins before we left, so we were physically there long enough for you to get to canaveral from MCO. Maybe security wouldnt allow it. Im sorry you had a bad trip. We were a few cabins down from you in 2437/2439 and we smelled the smoke intermittently throughout the trip and agree it was rough. And we also heard the galley "symphony" off and on at different times. It sounded sometimes like they were dropping pots on the floor for fun, but overall it wasnt too bad. Sorry about your bad trip :(

After reading Cruise Confidential(yuk) it would not surprise me one bit if the galley crew was doing it just for the fun of it....knowing that pax cabins are within earshot

It's amazing the OP had flight and smoke issues on their last cruise:eek:

I make my own flight arrangements...but sorry to say....many many pax have issues with the smoke....because the rules are not enforced and too many pax smoke too much. And I am a seasoned traveler who knows to expect the unexpected...and to plan for it....but the smoking is ridiculous. However, in all fairness to Carnival...when they did the Med cruises there was a significantly lower level of smoke on the ship.....maybe it was the type of itin.......ok..it definitely was the nature of the itin......:rolleyes:

sounds like they really helped you out of a bad spot....kudos to you for not letting a weather delay get you down...really cool of carnival to set you up with airfare and hotel rooms...im sure carnival will appreciate your note to them about a job well done[/quote

Are you for real? Obviosly they booked with carnivals air program since carnival hooked them up with the flights to eventually get to cozumel and also hotels. That is the guarantee they provide with their air program. The incompetent carnival employee who booked such a tight flight from Toronto in the middle of winter should be fired IMO.

It must have been the cheapest flight available and the Carnival employee was probably trained to book the cheapest

Archived