Has anyone been on a cruise "closed loop" recently with NO passport?

ChristineS72

We took my stepson and grandchildren on a cruise in June and they didn't have passports. We had no problems at all, the 16 year old didn't even have a gov't issued photo id and it was fine.

Before everyone jumps on me, yes I have a passport and I agree everyone should have one. But just because you don't it is no reason not to cruise.

Just asking the question..dont know if I will have enough time now and getting little nervous.. just some input..Yes, I already know I should get one.

thanks in advance..

I suggest you go to the cruise line website and read their requirements.

It would be an expensive mistake not to follow their rules.

It took exactly one month to get our passports - and that included two holidays. Applied 12/2/09, received in mail 1/2/10.

I did not get the original birth certificates returned (required to submit for passports) until today, 1/4.

I applied for a new "original" birth certificate (as backup) and received mine from Iowa in one week, DH's from Minnesota took 4 1/2 weeks...got it the same day the passports arrived!

FYI only

Peg

12/19 out of NOLA- my fiance doesn't have one and had no problems leaving however they had an upgrade done on the customs software the morning we debarked so there was a few minute delay on returning but the agent just put in a password and we went on. I called Carnival to confirm what we read and make sure none of the ports would require it:

Traveling By Sea

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

Does the itinerary begin and end in same port? If you start in one port and end in another- you will need a passport as then it will not be a "closed loop".

Oh, I thought passports were mandatory now for cruises, starting sometime last year. I guess they're not? Did I misunderstand that they would be mandatory or did somebody just change the rules? I'm talking about cruises only, not flying to a foreign destination.

Oh, I thought passports were mandatory now for cruises, starting sometime last year. I guess they're not? Did I misunderstand that they would be mandatory or did somebody just change the rules? I'm talking about cruises only, not flying to a foreign destination.

You misunderstood, as so far for closed loop cruises, starting out of the U.S. and going to the Caribbean, they are NOT required ... as the cut and paste above states. Carnival site even says not required on closed loop cruises. If you go to Europe, or S. America etc, then you do need one, but not to any Caribbean ports.

I understand the worry.. a few years ago I went without a passport and was fine and I am going again..Sat.. with no passport. Stupid of me? ..probably. Next time I will be getting a passport FOR SURE..until then a birth certificate will just have to do!:rolleyes:

No passports are needed, suggested but not required. If you sail a closed loop cruise no passport is required. You will need to have your birth certificate and a driver's license (photo ID) but really that is all you need.

I understand not wanting to make the expense and if this is how you travel and its not required, save some money.

Enjoy your cruise

You misunderstood, as so far for closed loop cruises, starting out of the U.S. and going to the Caribbean, they are NOT required ... as the cut and paste above states. Carnival site even says not required on closed loop cruises. If you go to Europe, or S. America etc, then you do need one, but not to any Caribbean ports.

I am almost positive that they did originally say passports were going to be required. IIRC that was then changed. I seem to recall even reading on here a post showing the Carnival announcment that they wouldn't be needed for close loop cruises after all.

Cruised in January to Mexico and in May to Canada without a passport, no problem. Both, closed loop cruises. Leaving in 5 days with only my birth certificate again to Ensenada.

However, my goal this year is to get my passport and quit procrastinating:)

We cruise in february. My dh and i have our pp's, but dgs and his gf only have passport cards. Should they also bring their birth certificates? Thanks for your response.

Over prepared is always better than unprepared.

To the OP

I don't think I read in all the posts, why you would want a passport

or a passport instead of a passport card. If I missed it..sorry.

In the event of an emergency, your Birth Certificate, Drivers License,

State Id and even the passport card will do you no good, if you have to

take a flight back to the US from a foreign country. A Passport is required.

I am almost positive that they did originally say passports were going to be required. IIRC that was then changed. I seem to recall even reading on here a post showing the Carnival announcment that they wouldn't be needed for close loop cruises after all.

I'm positive I read that, too. It was over a year ago, but they definitely said a passport would be needed for cruises by a certain date. When I read that I ended up getting my older son one for Christmas. I told him he couldn't cruise without it. I believe they must have decided against the change. He has a passport now and won't need it. Well, at least he can fly down to Mexico with us when we go to PDC. Guess it wasn't a waste after all.

Archived