So I get a call today from Royal Caribbean...

Hmmmmmm.....More than likely it was a PVP for Royal Caribbean who called you. They have access to all of your information, and they fish for leads all the time this way. They can even keep track of you when you sign on using your name and research for a cruise. I got a call once, and the guy said " So I see you were looking at sailings on the Mariner Last night" It was totally out of the blue....Well anyways, enjoy the Oasis!

Actually, my caller said she was calling from the executive something or other.......all I heard was executive and thought this should be good:)

I could understand if they were trying to sell you something but I don't understand the above attitude. I bet if they were calling to ask if you wanted an upgrade, your attitude would be totally different.:rolleyes:

Yes, you are right because it would not be a "meaningless" call. If they had a question about my reservation that would be alright also but just to call me and say have a great vacation, no I do not want that type of call.

Yes, you are right because it would not be a "meaningless" call. If they had a question about my reservation that would be alright also but just to call me and say have a great vacation, no I do not want that type of call.

So, it seems as if you don't appreciate customer service. Even though you receivied nothing more than a call, that call will win RC many more returning customers.

In a day a customer service being p--s poor or non-existent, I will glady take a call thanking me for sailing with RC. Or thanking for purchasing a car from Ford. Or even thanking me for shopiing a a particular grocery store.

To me little things mean alot.

I do not want to be bothered by meaningless phone calls from someone I do not know. I would probably say that if I got a call like that.

Hard to understand how someone thanking you and wishing you a good time can be looked at as meaningless.

So, it seems as if you don't appreciate customer service. Even though you receivied nothing more than a call, that call will win RC many more returning customers.

In a day a customer service being p--s poor or non-existent, I will glady take a call thanking me for sailing with RC. Or thanking for purchasing a car from Ford. Or even thanking me for shopiing a a particular grocery store.

Well said I agree with you 100%.

I would put my bet on them calling to see if there is possibility you might be a no-show. If they call everyone one week in advance and find that you are not coming, they can try to sell that room.

They probably have found this to be profitable, otherwise, why spend the money on staff.

Working for a few years in a Arena, we would contact our season ticket holders who had automatic tickets to all events and see if they would be coming to special events, If they weren't we would resell the tickets. No point in having empty seats if you can make a few calls and free those up.

Just my guess.

I agree with you, makes me feel my booking was appreciated. I love Royal Caribbean and the new policy of thanking people is just great gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling of rememberance of another great cruise. Getting thank you's is not the norm in today's world.

Irene & Miles

I agree, mustangjoe. When I had my cruise agency I would always call my clients prior to their sailing to wish them 'Bon Voyage', and it also gave me the opportunity to mention a quick reminder to bring proper proof of citizenship and for them to ask any last minute questions they may have. After the cruise, they received a 'Welcome Home' call from me to see how their cruise was, any issues...the "good, bad, ugly" of anything they wished to share. It also provided a chance to touch on the next ship or itinerary of interest to them.

In an era of declining customer service in most all of the service sector it's discouraging to learn that RCCL's modest and well-intentioned effort at reaching out to its customers has been so poorly received by a number of posters.

Yes

In an era of declining customer service in most all of the service sector it's discouraging to learn that RCCL's modest and well-intentioned effort at reaching out to its customers has been so poorly received by a number of posters.

I think we're all so jaded by the last decade of relentless telemarketing and outsourced call centers that we are merely annoyed by any phone call now.

Personally, I would rather have something in the mail than a phone call....then I can read at my leisure as opposed to potentially being called at a bad time.

It provides some proof that many of these types of websites are viewed as places for people to go an complain about anything. Something nice was done by a company in the name of customer service and is being put down. Its sad that society has become this way.

i got that phone call from royal just before my 12/01/2009 sailing on the oasis and was thrilled to see that i am more than a booking number. i found the phone call to be a pleasant event just increasing my anticipation toward the cruise and leaving me with a positive view towards customer service.

You know,some of you are saying that there are so many complaints about this........the way I see it,only ONE person said they didnt like it..........the rest of us,were just surprised by the context of the call..........thats all:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. People have to realize that in a rough economy, it is challenging to maintain sales and customer loyalty. I work at a bank and we call customers and send letters to them after they open a new account to thank them for their business and ask if we can help anything.

I received a voice mail from RCI last week thanking me for purchasing a cruise and to call back if I need anything. It's a nice touch and I appreciate it. :)

I would put my bet on them calling to see if there is possibility you might be a no-show. If they call everyone one week in advance and find that you are not coming, they can try to sell that room.

They probably have found this to be profitable, otherwise, why spend the money on staff.

Working for a few years in a Arena, we would contact our season ticket holders who had automatic tickets to all events and see if they would be coming to special events, If they weren't we would resell the tickets. No point in having empty seats if you can make a few calls and free those up.

Just my guess.

This was my first thought, as well. Not sure if the cruiselines ever "over sell" a voyage, but this would be an inexpensive way to find a cabin for folks on the waiting list. A no-show could be consoled (maybe even given a little unexpected compensation, like 25% off on a future cruise), and a paying customer could be given a cabin without ever knowing that he actually might have been bumped.

Of course, I am still looking for the second shooter in Dallas...

We were supposed to leave on the Voyager this coming Sunday but unfortunately FIL who was traveling with us (and lives with us) fell three weeks ago and injured his hip. He is still in rehab so we had to cancel. The caller wasn't aware we had cancelled but she couldn't have been nicer and we appreciated the call anyway. This is one time I'm glad the call wasn't about an upgrade!

Hard to understand how someone thanking you and wishing you a good time can be looked at as meaningless.

In the same way a form letter doesn't have a lot of meaning behind it, although this is more intrusive.

The way shooraq posted would be an example of good customer service. I don't see that this demonstrates good customer service. It's just an unexpected telephone call with a short, impersonal script that doesn't offer any potential for issues or follow up if something was actually needed. e.g. if they gave a direct number in case of issues during and after the cruise.

Archived