Captain McNaught Moves On

Fifer

I am ever so sorry to hear that Captain Ian McNaught, my favorite QE2 Captain has found it necessary to leave Cunard. Since I am a stubborn and ardent devotee of only one shipping line, and because of my 21 years of loving QE2 and getting to know Captain McNaught. The ship lights up when he gave his noonday reports and quips.

I shall miss the twinkle in his eye, and the mischief behind the serious expertise as a sailor.

I too, being single, would find it rather expensive and not to the point to follow to a Seabourn ship, so I fervently hope there might be a chance of his returning to Cunard. Please, please, please!

Check out linerlady.com for QE2 logs.

I am ever so sorry to hear that Captain Ian McNaught, my favorite QE2 Captain has found it necessary to leave Cunard. Since I am a stubborn and ardent devotee of only one shipping line, and because of my 21 years of loving QE2 and getting to know Captain McNaught. The ship lights up when he gave his noonday reports and quips.

I shall miss the twinkle in his eye, and the mischief behind the serious expertise as a sailor.

I too, being single, would find it rather expensive and not to the point to follow to a Seabourn ship, so I fervently hope there might be a chance of his returning to Cunard. Please, please, please!

Check out linerlady.com for QE2 logs.

I'm in your camp, and as for DC-Farer's experience, mind was totally the opposite. Not only was he very charming when I finally made the head of the queue to have my books signed, but he remembered my name when we met in the corridors on Two-deck of QE2 several times in the following days as we chatted.

THE last "Transatlantic" captain... Wearing the heritage as well as Cunard & French Line...

My wife & I remember the final voyage to Dubaï... We met him for the very last time, stairway A deck 7, as we were waiting for the gangway call...

Nice "souvenirs" from somebody we will not forget ! Thank you for everything Mr. Captain !

The role of Captain aboard a proper ocean liner was always more than just being Master of the vessel. Passengers were aware of the responsibility held by the Captain and always somewhat in awe of a man willing to accept it. Then there was the matter of his ability, not only to conquer the sea but to wrangle his massive charge into often narrow berths upon completion of the feat.

Much more than being an adept seaman, though, the Captains of the Golden Age of liners were expected to play an important role with the passengers. It was important to let them know they were in good hands, but it was also answering a call from those wishing to socialize with the man at the top.

What a combination to seek... an able man of the sea, more than a mere sailor, who is also a man of social grace and good humor. Not all, of course, excelled at the added responsibility of "host".

Captain McNaught is the finest example of this rare breed. I had the distinct pleasure of sailing with him on the final westbound of the QE2. It was certainly an honor.

Cunard has, if you will pardon the pun, "missed the boat". I can think of no better master for the QM2 than a man who understands the ambience that ship was created to capture.

I'm certain he will be a favorite among the guests aboard the ships he will now serve aboard. But there will be passengers aboard Cunard's liner who will always wish Captain McNaught was onboard.

Fair winds and following seas!

All the best,

Devon M. Scott

Former Historian for SS Norway

Director, SS United States Trust

How right you are!

I had the pleasure of sailing many times on QE2 with Captain McNaught, including those portions of the full world cruise in 2007 for which he was the Master.

No matter how many months elapsed between my voyages, he always remembered me by name and warmly welcomed me back, invited me to several receptions he hosted in his quarters and always made time to chat with me.

I shall miss his style, wit, and warmth.

I wish him all the best and hope to see him on Seabourn.

Unfortunately we sailed but a few times with Captain McNaught at the helm. However, each time captaintandem and I met him he greeted us warmly as if we were friends of long standing. He could barely walk a few steps in the public areas without someone stopping to talk with him and he always seemed consistently good natured and witty.

We'll never forget the crossing on which his quarters were the final stop on the Cabin Cavalcade.

Cunard's loss is Seabourne's gain. One of my friends who is a regular on both Cunard and Seabourne is ecstatic. Thank you and best wishes to you Captain McNaught.

Archived