Captain McNaught Moves On

Fifer

We are very pleased as to Capt. McNaught coming to Seabourn.

I understand he'll be aboard the Seabourn Spirit in a couple of weeks but I'm guessing he'll move "UP" to one of the larger Sisters, perhaps the new Sojourn (Maiden voyage June 6th) later.

I don't think Seabourn has retirement plans for Captain's, Officer's, etc. ~~~

Martita B.

Just how common is it for an officer of one Carnival Corp. Line to transfer to another? Do they keep corp. benefits? Seniority? Can they "bid back and forth" on vacant positions, etc? Or do they in reality have no 'inside' advantage over say a qualified officer from some totally different corp. such as RCI when trying for a vacancy?

Does anyone know the facts (not speculation, thankyou.)?

Hello Bob,

Although the two brands are within Carnival corporation they are operated separately with different payrolls so a transfer is not so simple and a new contract would be negotiated. No doubt a prestigious Captain who has been in command of the most famous ship in the world would be able to negotiate a good deal for himself.

Susanna

Hmmmm I have to wonder if it's simply a transfer why the statement from Cunard sounds as though his career has finally terminated with this particular line. Although these two brands come under the Carnival umbrella the cruise lines operate separately (as do Holland America as an example) and Officer's are only transferred through the fleet linked to the line ie P & O in the instance of Cunard. When an officer is transferred to another line within the fleet (formerly Princess and now P & O) There is no fanfare and no 'wishing an officer all the best and thanking said officer for their years of service etc'.................................

Seabourn has had no connection to Cunard Line since 2004.

Perhaps Cunard do not want to admit to problems. After all if senior management resign then there is indeed a grave problem. Many of us loyal passengers were aware after Princess took over the running of Cunard that long serving officers and crew were unhappy and it appears this has continued with P & O taking over.

Susanna

I share your suspicions, Susanna. Once Princess took over there appeared to be a very deliberate attempt by them to "change" (destroy) the culture at Cunard, to let everyone know that there was nothing special about being a Cunard officer. Longserving Cunard Captains such as McNaught on QE 2 found themselves shunted off to Princess cruise boxes plying the Alaska tourist run, and guys like Captain Rynd, who had been happily doing the Alaska trip for 15 years as a Princess employee, suddenly found themselves in charge of QE 2 on a winter trans-Atlantic crossing with little appreciation for the capabilities of the ship, the traditions of the crossing or the desires of her passengers. (In January '06 on a winter crossing aboard QE 2 our Princess Captain fled south to the Azores to avoid only mildly bad weather, much to the dismay of those who had booked the crossing in winter hoping to find such weather.)

I am afraid what we will see now is just an homogenized collection of lines, largely undistinguishable from one another. I just hope Captain McNaught finds some satisfaction in his new command.

Richard

P.S. I am glad you had the opportunity to sit at Table 514 with Captain McNaught. Those were some grand times, were they not?

In January '06 on a winter crossing aboard QE 2 our Princess Captain fled south to the Azores to avoid only mildly bad weather, much to the dismay of those who had booked the crossing in winter hoping to find such weather.

In January 06 Captain Rynd fully exploited the capabilities of the QE2 to sail 400 miles further - at speed - and stick to the timetable so that the majority of those on-board - World Cruisers - could get as smooth a start to their 110 night voyage as possible.

If that disappointed some onboard for 6 nights - tough.

He also made a very fine Captain of QM2 and QV - and was the first Captain to command three Cunard Queens.

In January 06 Captain Rynd fully exploited the capabilities of the QE2 to sail 400 miles further - at speed - and stick to the timetable so that the majority of those on-board - World Cruisers - could get as smooth a start to their 110 night voyage as possible.

If that disappointed some onboard for 6 nights - tough.quote]

Not forgetting that calmer seas = lower fuel consumption = Cunard beancounters happy!

Cunard for me is like a GM brand...solidily built and not a bad experience..but creatively lacking in almost every way.

Dear Savoia,

we have heard your opinions of "Cunard" so often now that most of us lapse into a state close to catatonic stupor when we see your byline on a post. I think you have now expressed your opinions so frequently, that there exists on this board a significant corpus of members who could spare you the trouble of expressing those opinions and simply draft the posts for you.

However, my (lengthy) experience of life in general tells me that, unless they are obsessed to the exclusion of all else with pursuing a single issue (and I am not discounting the possibility that you fit that description perfectly), even the fiercest critic of something, for example a shipping line or a brand of breakfast cereal, usually enjoys some other shipping line or breakfast cereal.

So, assuming that there is in fact another cruise line that you actually enjoy (and I have heard Disney mentioned) perhaps you would see fit to grace us with your opinion of precisely what it is about that line that you find so much more appealing than Cunard. I fully understand that comparing and contrasting the two will be difficult for you given that it appears that you have never actually set foot on board a Cunard ship, but it would be nice if you could try nevertheless. I'm sure that everyone here would find your opinions highly educational.

J

PS - please note that I am merely seeking information here. I am most definitely not indulging in "Disruption with just a contrary opinion..."

I have to say that much of what is said by Savoia and his objectors means nothing to me.

I have ony sailed with three companies and love QM2. I can't undestand the preoccupation with who built the ships/which officers are in command and the need, whilst dropping into the correspondence that one receives personal emails, to constantly deride this particular company.

I am reminded of the child who can't have something so tants and goes out of his way to stop everyone else's enjoyment.

I'd rather see it close shop. It's past is far more interesting than its present.

Oh I have my doubts that you really mean that. :rolleyes:

Afterall, you do seem to enjoy spending all this time and effort going on about Cunard's present. :)

Where can we go to enjoy what you have written about Cunard's past?

Geez, what would you do with yourself if Cunard closed shop? :confused:

Well said, Savoia. With QE2 abandoned to an ignominious fate, the Cunard line holds little interest for me now.

I have been away from this board for sometime. It is so nice to see the same thoughtful and tolerant people chiming in to discuss opinions that are contrary to their own.

So, using this statement over and over as you do Peter, one is to assume something is better than nothing? Cunard as a Carnival brand has very little it can call its own. Doesn't design its own ships or their interiors, rotates crew from other brands, and has had issues managing itself over the years. So much so the "Love Boat" company had to take over management parts of the brand. Shares back operations with other brands..even its Commodore came over from P&O. Cunard's identity is based on the past..which Carnival invests in only superficially and as Peter Kengo could attest honestly could care less about. It wants from it only what it contributes to the bottom line.

Yes..I know "If you had ever been aboard.." but seeing so little original I have to ask myself..why bother? The immediate impression is less than compelling..more of the same re-arranged, repainted and reupholstered..at times bordering on kitchy.

Sadly Peter I look at QM2 and you could easily slap P&O colors on her stack, rename her Strathmore and QM2 would be a distant memory. QV and QE are an obvious fit anywhere within Carnival with minimal effort. There is almost nothing one would miss.

Cunard for me is like a GM brand...solidily built and not a bad experience..but creatively lacking in almost every way. So yes Carnival gave the Cunard brand more ships but given how superficially the brand is managed..I'd rather see it close shop. It's past is far more interesting than its present.

Peter, it is for the same reason that the poster continues to post on the Carnival boards. At least no one here has been so crass as to suggest that he ought to be banned although I am sure that many of us have thought it!

Bettie

Lord forbid anyone dare sugest that, One rule for some and one rule for others....

Dear Savoia,

we have heard your opinions of "Cunard" so often now that most of us lapse into a state close to catatonic stupor when we see your byline on a post. I think you have now expressed your opinions so frequently, that there exists on this board a significant corpus of members who could spare you the trouble of expressing those opinions and simply draft the posts for you.

However, my (lengthy) experience of life in general tells me that, unless they are obsessed to the exclusion of all else with pursuing a single issue (and I am not discounting the possibility that you fit that description perfectly), even the fiercest critic of something, for example a shipping line or a brand of breakfast cereal, usually enjoys some other shipping line or breakfast cereal.

So, assuming that there is in fact another cruise line that you actually enjoy (and I have heard Disney mentioned) perhaps you would see fit to grace us with your opinion of precisely what it is about that line that you find so much more appealing than Cunard. I fully understand that comparing and contrasting the two will be difficult for you given that it appears that you have never actually set foot on board a Cunard ship, but it would be nice if you could try nevertheless. I'm sure that everyone here would find your opinions highly educational.

J

PS - please note that I am merely seeking information here. I am most definitely not indulging in "Disruption with just a contrary opinion..."

Congratulations Cruachan; you have managed to convey exactly my feelings and thoughts regarding the repetitious one-sided opinions posted by Savoia on this (and other) boards. Whilst I would never deny any individual the right to openly and freely express their personal opinion, I fail to see what advantage can be gained from continually making the same (or similar) negative self-opinionated comments.

Having enjoyed many cruises on Cunard vessels since 1995, (when Cunard was owned by Trafalgar House), I have witnessed the many changes that the line has gone through over the years. Some have been for the better and some for the worse. Over the years I have occasionally posted negative comments regarding certain aspects of some of my cruises. Likewise I have posted positive comments when the occasion warranted such, but all of these have been based on actual personal experience.

Savoia: your continual self-opinionated anti-Cunard rants are now getting somewhat tiresome, and I fail to see how they bring any positive contribution whatsoever to this board, particularly as you have never sailed on any of the current Cunard vessels. If you had, then you would realise that Cunard vessels have a unique ambiance and character.

Personally, I would never consider posting denigrating comments regarding any of Disney Lines ships, as I have never sailed on them and therefore do not feel qualified to comment.

Regards,

David

With QE2 abandoned to an ignominious fate, the Cunard line holds little interest for me now.

Richard - I feel very similar. The QE2 was only special because of what she had been. That "had been" was too expensive to maintain. you can't blame Carnival for choosing cheaper options rather than the company folding but Cunard ships now don't have quite the same appeal that they once did.

I have been away from this board for sometime. It is so nice to see the same thoughtful and tolerant people chiming in to discuss opinions that are contrary to their own.

Richard - like you I come here very infrequently. I think the nearest I'm going to come to a cruise in the next couple of years is staying on-board the SS Rotterdam. Unlike you however I find the "isn't everything wonderful" attitude of a lot of today's posters isn't to my taste.

As I said I come here rarely but I am still in touch with some good friends I made here. I doubt I would make similar friendships now as so many of the posts are simply bland :(

How anybody could say the QM2 was a cheap option is beyond me. Now and in 30 years time this liner will be different and thought of highly, like the QE2, probably more so as the years roll by exagerating her special status.

Cunard must recognize this by keeping and raising the standards of all involved. ?I must start a thread about what would make QM2 better.

Wait for it.....while the ship is fantastic, somethings needa changing for certain.

Flea markets anywhere on the ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Inchagold if its any good melt it down and make a fortune (must give in my loyalty card). Keep shopping to the SHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your turn.

Fred.

When, and if, you ever ACTUALLY sail on a Cunard ship, and see what you like or dislike from personal experience, then you will have earned the right to come here and make that first statement.

I'm struggling here to see what is so uncreative about QM2, a true "one off" that was anything but inexpensive to design and construct. But then, never having enjoyed the ambiance onboard you'll never really know, will you. Really Savoia, as others have said, these little rants of yours are tiresome. As both the Carnival and Cunard boards have found your little forays tedious perhaps there's another line you'd care to grace with your presence?

Cheers, Penny

Well said Penny - I totally agree

Regards,

David

Hello,

We've had no comment yet from the 'authority' on Ian McNaught - Gav boy?????

I too was lucky to sail with Captain McNaught on many cruises on QE2 and he is a great Captain but then so are Nick Bates, Paul Wright & Commodore Warner!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

The QE2 was only special because of what she had been.

Malcolm, if you have not yet tried QM2, I would suggest you give her a go - there is nothing else out there remotely like her, and while different from the QE2, she too has a 'star quality'.

I'm sure you've found it already, but in case you have not, Rob Lightbody has an excellent site on the QE2:

http://www.theqe2story.com/

Archived