Captain McNaught Moves On

Fifer

Wonder why they are characterising it as a 'resignation' and not a 'transfer'?

I agree. It seems odd to 'resign' and join a 'sister line' . Perhaps it reflects his wishes rather then theirs?

http://www.facebook.com/cunard

Not a complete surprise after recent events, but still a shame.

What recent events are you refering to? Just curious, as I haven't been following lately.

I fondly remember Captain McNaught for his outgoing, "people" personality. How he graciously invited members of the Winter Crossing Club on our Cabin Cavalcade into his quarters as a final surprise. How he spent hours and hours over several days signing autographs outside the library. How he good naturedly poked fun at the QV as a cruise ship, as compared to our ocean liner QE2 on our tandem crossing.

And being the final master of the QE2 probably raised his status too.

Thanks for this update. When I was Queen Victoria in November (just after Captain McNaught had got off) I was chatting to the Staff Captain and he say Captain McNaught had moved to P&O.

I am sure Captain McNaught will fit in very well at Seabourn, but I can't afford to follow him. :eek:

Thanks for this update. When I was Queen Victoria in November (just after Captain McNaught had got off) I was chatting to the Staff Captain and he say Captain McNaught had moved to P&O.

I am sure Captain McNaught will fit in very well at Seabourn, but I can't afford to follow him. :eek:

I think that he was supposed to be moved from Cunard to P&O. Maybe that was not to his liking so he sought greener pastures. Seabourn is certainly more prestigious than P&O.

I'm sure that there are very few of us who could/would follow him! ;)

I think that he was supposed to be moved from Cunard to P&O. Maybe that was not to his liking so he sought greener pastures. Seabourn is certainly more prestigious than P&O.

It might not be un-related to Seabourn taking a lot of big, new tonnage in Odyssey and Sojourn....and needing an experienced 'people person' captain to command.....I suspect Captains get to go where they are told....

http://www.facebook.com/cunard

Not a complete surprise after recent events, but still a shame.

It is a very great shame indeed. In my opinion Cunard has lost its best Captain.

Ian McNaught loved QE2, and in word and gesture displayed his deep appreciation for her place in history as the last great trans-Atlantic liner. He and the ship were deeply entwined, and it seemed to me that both were at their best when he was in command. Indeed, during the few crossings I made on QE2 where someone other than Ian was at the helm, there was a strangely muted feeling about the ship, as though she were dutifully going through her paces, but without the joy and energy that was present when Captain McNaught was aboard.

Those of us who had the privilege of sailing with Captain McNaught count ourselves lucky, for he cared for his passengers with grace, humour, patience and generosity. Good luck and Godspeed, Ian. Thank you for everything. You will be missed.

" Enjoy your afternoon on QE2, crossing the Atlantic, doing what she was built for!"

Captain Ian McNaught, December 2004

It is a very great shame indeed. In my opinion Cunard has lost its best Captain.

Ian McNaught loved QE2, and in word and gesture displayed his deep appreciation for her place in history as the last great trans-Atlantic liner. He and the ship were deeply entwined, and it seemed to me that both were at their best when he was in command. Indeed, during the few crossings I made on QE2 where someone other than Ian was at the helm, there was a strangely muted feeling about the ship, as though she were dutifully going through her paces, but without the joy and energy that was present when Captain McNaught was aboard.

Those of us who had the privilege of sailing with Captain McNaught count ourselves lucky, for he cared for his passengers with grace, humour, patience and generosity. Good luck and Godspeed, Ian. Thank you for everything. You will be missed.

" Enjoy your afternoon on QE2, crossing the Atlantic, doing what she was built for!"

Captain Ian McNaught, December 2004

Hi Richard

I agree with you and thoroughly enjoyed my evenings at the Captain's table when he was onboard QE2. A very entertaining man who was a superb ambassador for Cunard and definitely the best Captain the line had.

Cunard's loss and Seabourn's gain!! Just wish I could afford to sail on Seabourn ;-(

Susanna

Good luck to him.

Sounds like Princess is really cleaning house at Cunard. Isn't the current Commodore of Cunard from Princess or P&O?

No, they 'clarified' their original response (and deleted the comment you made similar to the above) that it is a 'Transfer' - Captains move within the Corp all the time and a three ship fleet is hardly likely to give a Captain a variety of experience.....Seabourn have two big new ships coming and I'm sure welcome the infusion of experience - especially from a Captain widely seen as a great 'people person'.

No, they 'clarified' their original response (and deleted the comment you made similar to the above) that it is a 'Transfer' - Captains move within the Corp all the time and a three ship fleet is hardly likely to give a Captain a variety of experience.....Seabourn have two big new ships coming and I'm sure welcome the infusion of experience - especially from a Captain widely seen as a great 'people person'.

Hmmmm I have to wonder if it's simply a transfer why the statement from Cunard sounds as though his career has finally terminated with this particular line. Although these two brands come under the Carnival umbrella the cruise lines operate separately (as do Holland America as an example) and Officer's are only transferred through the fleet linked to the line ie P & O in the instance of Cunard. When an officer is transferred to another line within the fleet (formerly Princess and now P & O) There is no fanfare and no 'wishing an officer all the best and thanking said officer for their years of service etc'.................................

Seabourn has had no connection to Cunard Line since 2004.

Perhaps Cunard do not want to admit to problems. After all if senior management resign then there is indeed a grave problem. Many of us loyal passengers were aware after Princess took over the running of Cunard that long serving officers and crew were unhappy and it appears this has continued with P & O taking over.

Susanna

It has to be a transfer. Cunard, Seabourn, Aida, P&O are all brands of Carnival, they are all part of the Carnival Corp hierarchy and financial results. They have individual identites, ships (!), management, booking systems etc, but every employee is ultimately employed by Carnival. So it is a business transfer. Maybe Carnival suggested it to boost Seabourn?

No, they 'clarified' their original response (and deleted the comment you made similar to the above) that it is a 'Transfer'.

In all frankness it sounded like his service with Cunard was over. Brian who manges the FB Cunard emailed me privately and said it had nothing to do with Princess and that was the reason for deletion of the post. It could well be true but Cunard protest abit too much over their connections with P&O/Princess. I had heard when the new Commodore of Cunard was appointed officers at Cunard had their noses bent out of shape as the appointment went over them and to a sister brand of Carnival.

It could well be Carnival wanted to bring more "presence" with a noted Captain at Carnival over to their Seabourn brand which, if done correctly, makes sense.

It has to be a transfer. Cunard, Seabourn, Aida, P&O are all brands of Carnival, they are all part of the Carnival Corp hierarchy and financial results. They have individual identites, ships (!), management, booking systems etc, but every employee is ultimately employed by Carnival. So it is a business transfer. Maybe Carnival suggested it to boost Seabourn?

it sounds pretty final on Cunard's facebook page:

Captain McNaught is completing his service with Cunard and will transfer to begin service with our sister-company Seabourn at the end of this month.

We thank him for his many years of dedicated service to Cunard Line and wish him all the best.

That last line has been seen on many a PR statement for a departing executive...this does not sound like he is coming back.

I know the current Commodore of Cunard was a carry over from P&O..which I heard did not go over well with Cunard's officers. Maybe he decided on a change of scenery with another Carnival brand?

Just how common is it for an officer of one Carnival Corp. Line to transfer to another? Do they keep corp. benefits? Seniority? Can they "bid back and forth" on vacant positions, etc? Or do they in reality have no 'inside' advantage over say a qualified officer from some totally different corp. such as RCI when trying for a vacancy?

Does anyone know the facts (not speculation, thankyou.)?

I think the answer may have something to do with employment contracts. I think long serving Cunard officers had contracts with more favourable terms than in much of the rest of Carnival and so if the Captain is moving to Seabourn his contract is terminated with Cunard and he will get another contractual arrangement with Seabourn. I have seen a Seabourn Captain move to P&O and other from Cunard to Seabourn.

Archived