Red Sea Magic 18th February 2010 on Celebration

Hi guys

We are going on this trip on the 18th February. I would like to do Petra one day and Dead Sea the next. However, I have noticed that we don't seem to get to Aqaba til 11am, so is it still possible on your first day in Aqaba to do an 11/12 hour trip (Petra or Dead Sea)? Or would we have to settle for a short trip on the first day?

Also, we have done it the other way round, cruise first, then stay in Sharm afterwards to rest. Anyone else done this? :D

We have just done that cruise and stay, which we think is the best way to relax after what can be a hectic schedule. The people who dont like to do that feel that the standards of food and drink are downhill, after being on the ship, but as long as you prepare yourself for the probable drop in standards it is better to do it that way. The first morning in aqaba is taken up with the lifeboat drill. the second day we did petra, and i think it was an and/ or for petra and dead sea. I dont think there was a short trip to dead sea on first day, but I would not swear to it. Enjoy your trip

We have just done that cruise and stay, which we think is the best way to relax after what can be a hectic schedule. The people who dont like to do that feel that the standards of food and drink are downhill, after being on the ship, but as long as you prepare yourself for the probable drop in standards it is better to do it that way. The first morning in aqaba is taken up with the lifeboat drill. the second day we did petra, and i think it was an and/ or for petra and dead sea. I dont think there was a short trip to dead sea on first day, but I would not swear to it. Enjoy your trip

So i'll be sitting there enjoying a leisurely breakfast on the morning of my 60th birthday and trying to get my head around it (i've been dreading it for ages):eek: then suddenly i'll be having to get a very fast move on for a lifeboat drill, oh well go with the flow :) going Feb 25 can't wait :D

Make sure you are in the main restaurant for your birthday breakfast. In my experience the Lido gets VERY busy on sea days at 10am and those late port arrivals are just like sea days. I reckon either go early (7.30) or use the Meridian restaurant which is nicer and even serves different food like Eggs Benedict (or was that on Spirit?).

Hi guys

We are going on this trip on the 18th February. I would like to do Petra one day and Dead Sea the next. However, I have noticed that we don't seem to get to Aqaba til 11am, so is it still possible on your first day in Aqaba to do an 11/12 hour trip (Petra or Dead Sea)? Or would we have to settle for a short trip on the first day?

Also, we have done it the other way round, cruise first, then stay in Sharm afterwards to rest. Anyone else done this? :D

Hi you can do a small trip the first day - we went to Wadi Rum and saw the bedouins but for the second day in Jordan you have to pick either Petra or the Dead Sea.... Petra is lots of walking and the Dead Sea is 'everyone covers you in mud' and you relax in the sea. We went on the Petra trip but I was rather jealous of those who had a relaxing time at the Dead Sea but I am glad I saw the Red City. Sort of sad that I didn't experience the Dead Sea..... next time eh?:D

Thanks guys. Will do the town of Aqaba instead. I understand it's quite nice.

Two ladies I spoke were not impressed with the cleanliness of Aqaba but I only drove through it on a bus. It was strange only mainly seeing local males…. I didn’t see any local females?:confused:

Having just returned from this Cruise (07/01/2010) - We went to Petra and thoroughly enjoyed it but I will say you need to wear proper walking shoes as theres quite a bit of walking to do and the floor is covered in dust/sand and rubble/stones etc.. - you can get a ride from the horses at the top this is free but you do have to pay a tip - haggle!! - also when you get past the treasures you will be pestered to go on a camel - once again if you decide to go on one haggle!! - as for the weather I would take a cardigan or lightweight jacket as it can get a little cold in some of the covered areas but mainly it was very warm.

The wadi Rum 4x4 is a very good trip - not pestered at all.

Cairo and the Museum ok - very little time in Musuem and pestered to death at the Pyramids and Sphinx - Cairo is filthy and the poverty there is overwhelming.

We didn't go to Luxor but lots did and they really enjoyed the various trips.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

If you want to know anything else just ask.

So i'll be sitting there enjoying a leisurely breakfast on the morning of my 60th birthday and trying to get my head around it (i've been dreading it for ages):eek: then suddenly i'll be having to get a very fast move on for a lifeboat drill, oh well go with the flow :) going Feb 25 can't wait :D

Happy Birthday too you. Save some for me as its my 31st the 4th March the day we Set Sail, Bigest Party the Red Sea has seen.

Stow away in the Ship for couple a weeks n join me!!!!

Enjoy :)

We have just returned from sharm after a delay of 48hrs ( will get to that later).We did cruise and stay starting our cruise on christmas eve. Fabulous cruise, good food , good entertainment, good weather, great cabin and staff. It is not possible to do dead sea one day and petra next. The only trips available on your first day in Aquaba is a 4x4 desert Wadi Rum adventure (£34 adult 5 hrs, or Movenpick Hotel beach transfer (£22 adult 5hrs).

You have a choice of Petra or Dead sea lon the second day. We did Dead sea as had done Petra before. To be honest although the dead sea was an experience found it dirty, the part where the coach takes you is just a small area and everyone is in the same part having the mud washed off them so the sea you get into is not the best, there were lots of other areas but we were not taken to them. You are within a movenpick hotel grounds and there are a couple of pools to relax around after your dip in the sea. the pools are not heated though and are very refreshing to say the least. Cairo was an experience not to be missed, we did the cairo trip with memphis, our friends did Cairo + museum, the museum was packed and you are n ot really given enough time to spend there. On arriving back at the ship we were serenaded by some of the crew singing and given hot towels and cool drinks before we got back on to the ship which was a really nice touch. Luxor and the valley of the kings should not be missed and you will def need your week in sharm to recover from a hectic week. We had a lovely week in sharm, lots of russians in our hotel , which made for amusing fashion shows every evening, food not as good as ship but always something to eat. Weather was very hot but there is a breeze which really helps to make you think it is cooler ( dont forget sun cream). Because of the weather we were delayed for 24 hrs as Gatwick closed, however thomson reps in resort and at airport excellent and although we were moved from our 5* hotel we went to another 6* and stayed fully inclusive overnight and had a whole extra day on beach courtesy of Thomson, finally arriving home at Gatwick 23.20 on Friday and had to dig car out of carpark, finally getting home at 1.00am.

Brilliant Holiday and thorougly relaxed am looking in to booking Dream for next Christmas but will have to get back to work first!!.

I am sure you will love your holiday if you have any other questions just ask.

Best Wishes

J:)

Happy Birthday too you. Save some for me as its my 31st the 4th March the day we Set Sail, Bigest Party the Red Sea has seen.

Stow away in the Ship for couple a weeks n join me!!!!

Enjoy :)

Thanks for that, now that's an idea :)I would but i'm expected at work, (back to reality) :eek: Happy Birthday for 4 March anyway

Two ladies I spoke were not impressed with the cleanliness of Aqaba but I only drove through it on a bus. It was strange only mainly seeing local males…. I didn’t see any local females?:confused:

I'm not impressed by the cleanliness of most British cities i've been to but it doesn't stop me going there !!!!!

We wandered around Aqaba quite comfortably ...not pestered at all which we found strange for a Middle Eastern country....for several hours. I expect the women are at home looking after the family home and children...doing the cooking cleaning etc. Most of the shopkeepers are men.

Archived